All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:08 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 19 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized 29 Camber/1984 Stu
Favorite Trails: Any
Back in August I was returning down Spring Canyon and was about 100 yards N of the sticker covered warning sign on the single track. I came around a corner and was ambushed by a squad of Marines dressed like they were in Falujah. This was the first time in the 30 years I have been riding off and on in the area that I actually saw a military presence in East Elliot. I use to live across Mission Gorge and use to hike and ride the area and never saw anybody. And heard all the stories of those going to the missle silo to party. Even at the height of the Cold War I never saw any enforcement. Well a ticket was written. The Marine said I would be getting a ticket from the City. Not a very friendly guy.

After 5 months and not seeing one I figured it was just a good scare. YES! And it had worked as I had not ventured N of the sign since. Then on Jan 11 upon my return of the first meet up ride (time for another) there was an ironic summons to appear in Federal Court yesterday. I was bummed to say the least. Well yesterday after they kept everybody waiting outside in the cold for 30 minutes everybody was ushered into the courtroom. I saw the USMC writing at least one other ticket that day but have no idea if that ticketed rider was there yesterday. I know the rider who turned and hightailed it was not there. Because the Marines on their quads could not catch them.

It seems the court is basically for traffic/small offense for Federal Lands (Indian Reservations/bases ). There are lawyers who act as mediators, in what looks like an opereation just trying to make everything go away with as little hassle and time possible. The judge was never in the court while I was there.
So I get called and meet my Lawyer/mediator Mike. Nice guy another bearded geezer like myself. I gave him a little history of the area and escalating conflict. Of course he knew nothing. I told him I had been riding out there for 30 years and the arbitrary enforcement seemed unfair. I gave him a photo of the stickered sign, and then a photo of the protest day where the marines had the dogs and yellow tape strung up at the sign.

He took that over to the Federal Prosecutor and they worked a deal that he brought back to me. 6 months deferred prosecution. Ticket drops in 6 months without any further action by me. However if I get another ticket it said "2x the fine amount". Shoot I don't even know what that fine is .I asked him does that mean 2x the fine in the next 6 months or ever? He did not have an answer and I was not going to ask him to go back and ask.

So after 12 dollars in parking, the gas from E County I was done. I was expecting much worse to be the price. Being a REALTOR I did not have to miss any work, which could add to the cost if you work for somebody. Anybody need to buy or sell a house? LOL Of course this is not a guaranteed result if you get a ticket up there. But it should not ruin your day anyway. Hearing some of the ticket amounts from other areas I was expecting much more.

Last week I participated in the Xterra Mission Gorge 15K Trail Run. They do not close the course, I was wondering what it would be like if a few hundred riders at another protest were riding up or pushing their bikes up the steep fire road, er uh I mean trail. During the race! There is another race in August. I also let each volunteer and ranger I saw that mountain bikers are people and tax payers as well.

Jeff

The following 11 users would like to thank FrndthDuvel for his or her post:
Belizean, Canaan, chuckanado, Cisco, Dirtrider, jjthewhale, jSatch, Kimba, MiLo, Scarbery Rdr, slingshot