All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:09 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
I pasted this from Trail news if you don't get the newsletter. For the last year I decided to do little things on my own time to try and help our trail issues here. Brushing back a trail, showing up for trail work, writing a email or two, attending a couple of meeting, whatever would fit into the schedule. Last Thursday was the first meeting of the new advocacy group. I think around 40 people showed up like Rich J and Dustin who organized the protest ride. Many others that you may know and probably ride with or have ridden with before. It was a great meeting and many people stepped in to take on tasks in areas of San Diego. Just wanted to pass this on if your interested. I'm not cheer leading for any group or not, just trying to get more trails. :cheers:

SDMBA Advocacy Summary

Your efforts have been noticed! Mountain Bikers and fellow trail users have been successful in raising awareness about the need for better public policy on environmentally responsible recreational trails for all users.

Sept. – Dec. 2013- SDMBA representatives attended public and private meetings with staff of the City Parks and Rec. Dept., MTRP CAC and Task Force, Council Member Sherman and staff of Assemblyman Jones. (See MTRP Update below for details.)

In November- SDMBA launched a letter campaign to alert City Council and the City Park and Rec. Dept. of the discontent of trail users with the recent trail closures all around San Diego. We requested that they work with us as stakeholders to be a part of the solution to better manage trail users. Your letters and phone calls got their attention!

Jan. 11, 2014- Members of the community took things into their own hands and organized a grass-roots protest ride at MTRP. This event was supported and attended by an estimated 500 trail users including SDMBA, Bonita Valley Horsemen and Bonita Bikers. Many local television and newspaper reporters were there to cover the event. Thank you Dustin, Doug and Mike for all your efforts to direct this energy in a positive and productive direction.

Jan. 15, 2014 the monthly SDMBA meeting drew over 50 attendees who volunteered for Advocacy, (new) Website and Sponsorship Committees and several new candidates surfaced for SDMBA Board seats at the next election. Kevin Loomis accepted the position of new Advocacy Committee Chair.

2014 is going to be an exciting year for SDMBA. We appreciate the diversity of volunteers and members who have stepped up to make our voice stronger. Please join SDMBA if you are not already a member and Like us on Facebook to take part in the conversation of our current issues and events.

Mike

Last edited by Dirtrider on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following 8 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
avidtest, bankerboy, Canaan, Earache, J.A.M., OhNooo, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
I've signed up for Trail News but have yet see anything.
Also, no response so far to my volunteering for the Minister of Propaganda position.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Ray Dolor wrote:
Also, no response so far to my volunteering for the Minister of Propaganda position.....

That might be a new board position they have to create for ya :thumbsup:

This group seems like it will be productive and it's basically working on it's own at this time. I think the next meeting will be on 2/10 if anyone wants to help out

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:20 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Dirtrider wrote:
Ray Dolor wrote:

That might be a new board position they have to create for ya :thumbsup:

This group seems like it will be productive and it's basically working on it's own at this time. I think the next meeting will be on 2/10 if anyone wants to help out

It would be good to attend a meeting of people who plan on doing something. It would be even better if they planned on blowing something up, but building something would be cool, too.

Post up where and when a week or so before the event, OK?