All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 31 thanks
Received: 73 thanks
Bike(s): ASR-7, Cotic Soul, Spider 29
Favorite Trails: Mongo, Rockhouse, Denk
First, a disclaimer. I'm not a big fan of either of our mayoral candidates, but I'd like to know what they think about access to trails. Both Alvarez and Faulconer have been on the City Council for some time, so as far as I know, they may both be part of the problem.

I know there are people with a lot of different political views on DT, but let's stay focused on access issues.

So, I wrote to our two candidates for mayor, and asked them what they would do to restore recreational access to Del Mar Mesa and preserve recreational access to East Elliott. No beating around the bush, just point bank, if elected, what are you going to do for us.

I haven't heard back from Faulconer yet, but Alvarez responded yesterday:

Quote:
Thanks for writing to me. I'm glad to hear you are engaged in the mayor's race. No matter what the outcome in February, the issues you mention will continue to impact our City.

I've always been a big proponent of recreational access to our open spaces. For instance, I sit on the Otay Valley Regional Park Committee and we often wrestle with how to manage an urban park while keeping open areas accessible for our neighborhoods. By having a multi-jurisdictional approach, we've found ways to balance native plant walks, hiking, mountain biking, and archeological preservation.

Public access starts with designating our lands in the right way. A year ago, I was proud to work with SD Canyonlands to dedicate 6,500 acres of land as permanent open space. Dedication provides for reliable open-space preservation and recreational opportunities within communities.

As Mayor I will ensure that City staff works cooperatively with stakeholders to ensure as much public access on publicly owned parkland as possible. When access is not advisable because of environmental or other reasons, I will demand that we provide our users and stakeholders with clear and accurate reasons for the closure. When the land is privately owned the city should engage the private property owner to see if there is the possibility for an agreement for access.

In terms of the specific areas you mention, I agree it has been a frustratingly long time to see trails closed. Increasing communication between our development services staff and the public could go a long way towards easing the tensions and learning opportunities on both sides.

Thanks again for reaching out. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
David

Does anyone know what's going on with the Otay Valley Regional Park Committee? How about SD Canyonlands?

I have to say I don't like the tone of the response. "Increasing communication" isn't a substitute for access. Any other color on Alvarez's history regarding trail access?

I'll post what I get from Faulconer if/when I hear from his campaign.

The following 5 users would like to thank fuse for his or her post:
deno, Ld00d, MiLo, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:14 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 296 thanks
Bike(s): SC Nomad
Favorite Trails: east county, Calaveras
This is definitely an interesting topic. As far as intercity hiking/biking is concerned, Chula Vista seems to be pretty good about it. The canyons that have trails are pretty fun and from talking to some of the guys that ride and live there, it seems that the city is more for them keeping their trails rather than trying to shut them down.

The following 2 users would like to thank A_street for his or her post:
MiLo, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:02 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 30 thanks
Favorite Trails: Mostly off-limits these days..
I deleted my original post because it seemed too cynical even by my standards.
When it comes to politics and politicians all I can say is actions speak louder than words, and I don't think either one of these guys is going to do right by the mountain bike community unless it benefits them.

Alvarez has been endorsed by the Sierra Club(infer what you will), and Faulconer has his investor buddies... money talks and b#llsh!t walks.

The following user would like to thank Gon for his or her post:
Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
At least neither of them seems to be a creepy perv (Filner) or an asshole (deMaio). Those were our two choices last time there was a runoff for mayor.

Now the main differences seem to be more political rather than being driven primarily by choosing the negative personality trait that you find least offensive. Neither Sierra Club nor Big Downtown Business are friendly towards open space recreation, so just choose the candidate that matches your political dogma.

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Agreed I don't really like either candidate that much.

That said, with the election coming up they will at least listen to us long enough to reply. A bunch more emails from mountain bikers now might make them think twice when issues come up, or at least remember us down the road should we show up at City Hall.

The following 2 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Dustin, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:48 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 41 thanks
Received: 42 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Nomad
Favorite Trails: Noble, National, ATT, Tunnels
any word back from Falconer yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:58 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 304 thanks
Received: 470 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt ones
Garett.McD wrote:

I'm the falconer. You called?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:50 pm 
Participant
Participant

Garett.McD wrote:

No reply so far.

I got a phone number from one of his staffers who was canvassing my neighborhood. Will let you know when I get through to them.

(Nice one, TB!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:44 am 
Participant
Participant

Quick update. I've been pestering the Faulconer campaign, but no official reply yet. I heard from a couple other people who also tried to contact the campaign, and got no reply. I gave them one last message today, and we'll see if they finally respond.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:46 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
At least Alvarez is a native son of San Diego. Kinda sick of outsiders wanting this job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:09 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Alvarez is beholden to his local party, and therefore to Sherrie Lightner, a senior elected official and well-established opponent of trail access and responsible open space management. I don't know how Faulconer will/would be, but Alvarez's affiliation with his local party and the local Sierra Club should easily equate to POISON for anyone interested in responsible access to public lands.

The following user would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
fuse
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:31 pm 
Participant
Participant

EBasil wrote:
Alvarez is beholden to his local party, and therefore to Sherrie Lightner, a senior elected official and well-established opponent of trail access and responsible open space management. I don't know how Faulconer will/would be, but Alvarez's affiliation with his local party and the local Sierra Club should easily equate to POISON for anyone interested in responsible access to public lands.

Thanks for that. That pretty much confirms what I've seen from the information I've been able to gather about Alvarez. Too bad there's no response from Faulconer yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
fuse wrote:
EBasil wrote:

Thanks for that. That pretty much confirms what I've seen from the information I've been able to gather about Alvarez. Too bad there's no response from Faulconer yet.

I would guess that any replies you get are sent from some paid help telling you what you want to hear if it's true or not.

Mike