Post subject: Noble Canyon re-route
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:12 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 16 thanks
Received: 6 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Demo 8
Favorite Trails: North County Secret DH trails
During our weekly run down ATT i heard that there will be another re-route in the Lagunas. This time, it's on noble canyon trail. I hope it's not the same type of re-route that they did on the Los Gatos trail.

Can someone please confirm or deny this re-route.

The following user would like to thank DHbomber for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:35 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 304 thanks
Received: 470 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt ones
I can neither confirm nor deny the re-route.
--Satan

The following user would like to thank TrailBurner for his or her post:
DHbomber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:49 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
FYI -- found this description:
http://www.sdmba.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2391

The following 5 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
DHbomber, Dirtrider, Earache, gabriel keating, KIMO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
OldDogDan wrote:

"it's the start of a new year and we have an exciting project for upper Noble Canyon Trail. We will be re-routing an unsustainable fall line section of trail and eliminating the first 2 of the road crossings, no more wondering if there's a car coming. We will lose approximately 1/16th mile of trail but gain close to a 1/4 mile of singletrack. The corridor has already been cleared of brush and with the great weather we've been having I think we can start digging sooner than later. This will be a mutli-event project and the more volunteers digging the sooner we can ride it.

Swag provided by Niner Bikes, Calcoast Bicycles and refreshments from Lagunitas Brewing Company.

Stay tuned for more details...

mark@sdmba.com "

Mike

The following 3 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
DHbomber, Earache, gabriel keating
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:36 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Thank you for confirming this.

As we all see and know that this organization is a certified IMBA with skills and training to build "sustainable trail" and with that said, have they not been working on trail maintenance more than once a year on Noble Canyon? Yet
Quote:
We will be re-routing an unsustainable fall line section of trail

What is the point of trail maintenance up there more than 5-10 a season (aside from lopping/brushing) yet the maintenance is "unsustainable"?

yet some of the best illegal trails i've ridden requires little maintenance.

I'm glad these people do not go maintaining trails at ATT it's bad enough that we have to clean up some of that mess that one guy did up there.

Dirtrider wrote:
OldDogDan wrote:

"it's the start of a new year and we have an exciting project for upper Noble Canyon Trail. We will be re-routing an unsustainable fall line section of trail and eliminating the first 2 of the road crossings, no more wondering if there's a car coming. We will lose approximately 1/16th mile of trail but gain close to a 1/4 mile of singletrack. The corridor has already been cleared of brush and with the great weather we've been having I think we can start digging sooner than later. This will be a mutli-event project and the more volunteers digging the sooner we can ride it.

Swag provided by Niner Bikes, Calcoast Bicycles and refreshments from Lagunitas Brewing Company.

Stay tuned for more details...

mark@sdmba.com "

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:21 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Last year I worked with Mark and the USFS on some trails out that way and I trust their work and judgement. If you ride BLT often you can see that the crew out there do care about the trails and take care of them plus adding a couple of features to bring some fun factor to the riders. I haven't seen that in other areas that I ride that are serviced by Gov employees.

Personally, I've never ridden Noble but will here soon and will try to make every trail work day out there for guys like you to enjoy. We all have to start working together before everything is gone
Just my $.02...

Mike

The following 5 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
bankerboy, Canaan, Earache, gabriel keating, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:46 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1511 thanks
Received: 1049 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot 429 - Stumpy FSR
Favorite Trails: Over, Under, Sideways, Down
Dirtrider wrote:
Last year I worked with Mark and the USFS on some trails out that way and I trust their work and judgement. If you ride BLT often you can see that the crew out there do care about the trails and take care of them plus adding a couple of features to bring some fun factor to the riders. I haven't seen that in other areas that I ride that are serviced by Gov employees.

Personally, I've never ridden Noble but will here soon and will try to make every trail work day out there for guys like you to enjoy. We all have to start working together before everything is gone
Just my $.02...

^^^^ IMO this constructive attitude and approach will lead to the best outcome for the MTB community - as opposed to silly hypotheticals and cynical rhetoric. Wise-up gang and learn what works... most often it will not be as a result of internal warfare.

The following 7 users would like to thank Earache for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirtrider, gabriel keating, Los, mtbchip, Ray Dolor, SprSonik
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
DHbomber wrote:

As we all see and know that this organization is a certified IMBA with skills and training to build "sustainable trail" and with that said, have they not been working on trail maintenance more than once a year on Noble Canyon? Yet
Quote:
We will be re-routing an unsustainable fall line section of trail

What is the point of trail maintenance up there more than 5-10 a season (aside from lopping/brushing) yet the maintenance is "unsustainable"?

yet some of the best illegal trails i've ridden requires little maintenance.

I'm glad these people do not go maintaining trails at ATT it's bad enough that we have to clean up some of that mess that one guy did up there.

Noble Canyon was build by the forest service a long time ago. The section being fixed is at the bottom of the first downhill after Penny Pines where the trail makes an abrupt right turn and crosses Pine Creek road. At issue is the blind crossing of an active road. It is amazing that there have not been any car vs biker collisions there (that I know of). All that is being done is re-routing the trail around Pine Creek to the S/E. It will intersect with Laguna Meadows Rd.

As far as the continued maintenance, it is usually done in short sections at a time (1 - 2 miles) on a weekend. Since the trail is longer than that, lots of weekends will be used over the course of a year. It is not like they are going back and doing the same section over and over.

Finally, the damage done at ATT was done by the forest service, a bulldozer, and several idiots in trucks out joy riding. Just look to the west down the slope, about half way up for proof of stupidity.

Last edited by bankerboy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following 6 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
amor587, Dirtrider, Earache, gabriel keating, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:15 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 304 thanks
Received: 470 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt ones
Geez I need a Noble fix.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 pm 
Transplanted Asshole
Transplanted Asshole

Given: 104 thanks
Received: 330 thanks
Bike(s): a pretty blue one
Favorite Trails: VRRT, SJT, Noble, Edge Loop.
This is a excellent idea except the reroute goes through one of my favorite camping spots; although, I have not been able to use the spot since it was gated a little while back.

About 15 years ago I was biking NC with BikerBonnie and as we aproached that section we came upon a man taking pictures of his truck at the crossing. I asked if he was getting shots of his buddy coming down the trail or something? The story he told us was ugly.

The company the man worked for needed pictures of the truck at the spot of the accident. The weekend before, as he was driving his truck (a F150 sized company work truck) a mtn biker came what seemed like out of nowhere and slammed into the side of his truck. It scared the living shit out of him becaue he never saw it coming. I was floored by the amount of damage inflicted upon the truck and felt there ws no way in hell someone could live through an impact like that. The truck was hit right behind the driver. From behind the driver to the bed was smashed in like it had been hit by a KZ1000! Yeah the curved section of the cab (the strongest part you could posible hit!) The biker had t-boned the truck head first while going over the bars like a human lawn-dart; I belive this is the last split second when you say "OH SHIT!" and grab a hand-full of brake. The driver told us the guy had blood coming out of his ears and nose and in really really bad shape. The mtn biker was with his girlfriend and she completely freaked out. The driver did not know if the guy lived or not?

Im surprised we have not heard more stories like this because I know every time I bomb it I wonder if this will be "the one" when I pack a vehicle?

I say good on the reroute.

The following 4 users would like to thank Mike G for his or her post:
Earache, gabriel keating, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:21 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

^^^ a real life reason to be there helping

I have never seen vehicles on that section of road but I guess it can/does happen

Mike

The following 3 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Earache, gabriel keating, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2958 thanks
Received: 769 thanks
Bike(s): Rune
Favorite Trails: I like trails
Last year, or maybe the year before, there was an incident involving a mtn biker getting nailed by a truck at one of the crossings. Can't remember where I read it though.

The following user would like to thank rob240z for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:51 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

All i am saying is that, Fix it/ maintain it correctly/properly that is sustainable the first time and it not a whole lot needs to be done otherwise.

For example, i rode Noble last week and they have obviously worked on the trail towards the end but that is not going to last a season.

Los Gatos trail while it is still fun, it has lost a lot of the flow mainly because of that sharp right turn and took out the speed that you were able to get before the trail work.Anyone who rides there frequently can say that, that re-route was/is horrible.

As far ATT, it is a different story than that off trucks driving down the trail although that is bad as well.

You don't come down in our playground and start re-routing old established trail. This goes for Crest, Kitchen Creek, Mt. Lemon.

Steve & Mark are officially banned from ATT one soil gets moved there again or sticks put back on established trail we are going to have a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Everybody has an opinion.....but the truth is that far more can be accomplished by cooperation than by fighting over details on a public forum.

Personally, I think the re-route idea above looks like it has good potential, as that straight drop leading into the first of the two upper road crossings is so brake-bumped out that it's a bit of an embarrassment to those of us who maintain the position that bicycles can have the least amount of impact on trail surfaces erosion-wise, as found in more than one study of trail wear comparing hikers, equestrians, and bicycles.

All the haters do is point to sections of trail like that one on Noble, and they have a ready-made example to the contrary.

I'm guessing that the re-route is going to be more along the lines of a contouring trail, without a relatively long straight line descent such as the existing one. That should make for fewer or no brake bumps. That's a GOOD thing, IMO.

As far as the re-route on Los Gatos I don't know what the reason for doing that was, but it does not not affect the quality of my ride at all.

The reroute done on the BLT at the end of the trail near Meadows Info stop is another one that I actually like. So reroutes don't have to be considered an automatic negative thing.

Everybody has their opinion, so IMO the re-routes up in the Lagunas have been fine by me, and I've been riding that place since Teddy Roosevelt dedicated it as a National Recreation Area!

The following 4 users would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirtrider, Earache, gabriel keating
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Turf wars?

Guess there is surf with your name too?

I am just going to point out the fact that ALL of the trails on World Class (not ATT for those following along) are not any rider's trails. The majority on are reservation land and far from legitimate. So what, exactly, are you fighting about? How long before the new threat gets graffitied all over the Wall of Bofus like the last pissing match?

The bad blood does nobody any good. Let it go, have a beer, and work out your differences as an intelligent human. Threats on boards don't solve anything or do any good other than create a good chuckle for the rest of us.

Getting back to the point, the original question you had was what was the reroute. It is a trail built by the forest service many, many years back. This reroute is to make it safer for all users and prevent a "bug on the windshield' effect of a biker or hiker getting creamed by a unsuspecting vehicle. This section of trail was not created by any of us on any of these boards.

The following 4 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
Earache, gabriel keating, Los, Ray Dolor