All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
IMHO I think the word "unsustainable" has been used to legitimize a lot of trail dumbing down lately. I think a lot of people are now suspicious when ever a entity be it the County, the Forest Service, SDMBA or whom ever calls a long established trail "unsustainable". There are a lot of examples of the word "unsustainable" being used to wreck perfectly good trails and the reroutes even less sustainable than what had preceded it. Martha's in Sycamore Canyon is a perfect example a trail that pre-dates most of the current land managers and yet said managers saw fit to amend the trail and now it is a complete mess. The new(ish) Beller Canyon connector is another example of a very poorly constructed trail that has no chance of standing the test of time.
I can see both sides of the Nobel debate. I'll take the wait and see attitude, that road crossing sketches me out every time I ride Nobel, I for one won't miss gritting my teeth and hoping no ones on the road. I also agree that Nobel has been there a long long time and the excuse that it is an unsustainable trail just doesn't hold water. The re-route looks good on paper; lets hope the work goes as it is being billed.

--Desmond Tutu

Last edited by mongooseboy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank mongooseboy for his or her post:
Earache
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:01 pm 
Sticker Shock
Sticker Shock

Given: 1635 thanks
Received: 2676 thanks
Bike(s): 5010
Favorite Trails: Unpaved
DHbomber wrote:

Steve & Mark are officially banned from ATT one soil gets moved there again or sticks put back on established trail we are going to have a problem.

You were actually an interesting and seemingly intelligent poster....until that last line. You just jumped the shark imho.

The following 4 users would like to thank 24v for his or her post:
Earache, gabriel keating, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:07 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 325 thanks
Received: 229 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz LTC, KTM 300
Favorite Trails: big laguna
I ride the Mount Laguna area quite often. I have met ranger will and Mark out there many times. The reroutes that Ranger will put in are fun and have improved my mountain biking experience out there. Mark does a lot of work maintaining Noble Canyon and working with the forest service to improve the trails for all of us. If you don't like what is going on with the trail system and the forest service get involved otherwise quit bitching about people who are involved.

The following 5 users would like to thank racerbill for his or her post:
b5driver, Earache, gabriel keating, Los, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:10 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
If this section of trail is where I'm thinking, it has a huge rain rut running right down the middle of it.
During a father/son ride about two months ago, one of the dads ate crap right there after the front wheel dropped in that rut. The trail is very hard packed with lite sand on top which for most is not a real fun outcome waiting to happen. I really don't want any of the trails to have the rocks, etc removed to make them more rideable but tire grabbing ruts in the middle of the trail makes sense to change, IMHO...whatever that is..

What would be really nice is to have another route for the DH crowd to enjoy as they get warmed up for Noble

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Earache
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 325 thanks
Received: 229 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz LTC, KTM 300
Favorite Trails: big laguna
That would be the definition of unsustainable. That rut will only get deeper as water runs down it, a sustainable trail will run along the contours of the hillside emptying water intermittently.

The following 2 users would like to thank racerbill for his or her post:
Earache, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:21 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
racerbill wrote:
That would be the definition of unsustainable. That rut will only get deeper as water runs down it, a sustainable trail will run along the contours of the hillside emptying water intermittently.

Yep :thumbsup:

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:19 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
racerbill wrote:

I was hoping that is what they are talking about. To create another straight-off fall line trail would be stupid.
Not to mention the aforementioned issue of brake bumps.

Like it or not, Noble is and always has been a multi-use trail, and it existed before the mtb came into being.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 499 thanks
Received: 1771 thanks
Bike(s): Monocog SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Skinny & dirty
Ray Dolor wrote:
Personally, I think the re-route idea above looks like it has good potential, as that straight drop leading into the first of the two upper road crossings is so brake-bumped out that it's a bit of an embarrassment to those of us who maintain the position that bicycles can have the least amount of impact on trail surfaces erosion-wise, as found in more than one study of trail wear comparing hikers, equestrians, and bicycles.

All the haters do is point to sections of trail like that one on Noble, and they have a ready-made example to the contrary.

Sad to say, that is a really good point.

The following 2 users would like to thank random walk for his or her post:
OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
In the interest of shedding light on the topic, here is a link to another forum's thread which contains pictures of the old and new routes. A warning though, it also includes an anecdote about a naked 400lb trucker.

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-socal/noble-canyon-re-route-893642.html#post10920431

The following 3 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, Los