All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:58 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 31 thanks
Received: 73 thanks
Bike(s): ASR-7, Cotic Soul, Spider 29
Favorite Trails: Mongo, Rockhouse, Denk
First, an introduction. I've been reading posts on DT for a while and I've bumped into a few DT'ers out on the trails. Maybe you've seen me riding out by Sycamore on my Yeti ASR-7 (not too many of those around), or noticed that Domokun rides along on the back of my pack. :domo:

So, hello! :hello:

I'm just as bummed about what's going on at MTRP as everyone else, but hopefully this is something more positive. The Escondido Creek Conservancy has been purchasing land to maintain open space around Elfin Forest, and they're trying to get ahold of another 502 acres known as University Heights. They're doing pretty well at lining up funds for the purchase, but they're short on cash for the next option payment to keep the property from going on the market to developers.

We all know what's doing on at (Dis)Harmony Grove right now. It would be nice to secure some land as open space that the developers can't get at.

There's more information about TECC at http://www.escondidocreek.org/, and here is the letter about the current fundraising drive. SDMBA has linked up with TECC before (maybe even working on this parcel?), so they're reasonably friendly to mountain bikers.

TECC needs to get the money together by Oct 1. If you could spare some money for a donation, they could really use the help to keep the acquisition process going.

Disclaimer: I don't represent TECC. I'm just posting this because I figure some DT'ers might want to help out.

-fuse

The following 3 users would like to thank fuse for his or her post:
bankerboy, Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:17 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Thanks. I hope they reach their goal. The Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve is a great example of land managers working with mountain bikers and others. Of course, it is not managed by the DFG (CDFW). The water district realizes that land can be enjoyed and the remaining environment protected. The DFG apparently doesnt think biking and environmental protection can be compatible, although hunting and fishing can be. Different agencies, different missions.