All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dear Mrs Crowley
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:27 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
From my e-mail "in box" yesterday....

On Jan 12, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Erik Trogden wrote:

Who wants to respond!!??
>
> This is an enquiry e-mail via http://0 from:
> Peg Crowley <idelmargo@yahoo.com>
>
> I am absolutely FURIOUS at what you did to our trails. How dare you have such profound, unmitigated gall to come in to our trail system and obliterate the walking trails with sticks, rocks, boulders and cactus. You have every right to come in and groom your precious mountain bike paths but I'll be damned if you think you have the right to come in and obliterate trails that are used by hikers and wildlife. This morning I had to rescue a juvenile coyote who must have attempted to use a "down" trail as it likely had many times before and it stepped into a newly planted piece of cactus which had lodged into its paw rendering it immobile and it would have likely dehydrated and starved to death laying in the heat today had I not found it!
>
> How dare you come in and obliterate the trails that are enjoyed daily by hikers and walkers. I walk my dogs every day in the preserve and I do not wish to utilize the many switchbacks as a walker which would take me unecessary time to have to descend. We always walk down what I call the "down" paths or trails that intersect with the switchbacks used by the mountain bikers.
>
> Now the "down" trails are covered in sticks and brush, cactus, and many, many rocks and boulders which is the perfect place for the abundant rattlesnake population to take up house, so should I attempt to traverse over the now obliterated trails I could step into on on to a rattlesnake thus causing immeasurable injury if not death to myself or my dogs.
>
> HOW DARE YOU! HOW INDESCRIBABLY SELFISH OF YOUR GROUP! I have no problem with mountain bikers or mountain bike trails but who in the hell do you and your group think you are to groom your trails and obliterate ours!
>
> What bastards! As a horsewoman and an avid hiker I have always respected mountain bikers and have never had an altercation with your group...that is until now...because clearly your group does NOT respect others or the wildlife population of the area or that of domesticated canines that used to use the "down" trails on a regular basis. Who gave you the right or, where did you come up with the idea that it was right for your group to come in and do such destruction to our walking trails?
>

We are so sorry you have to respond in this manner, which is very crass and ignorant. You need to meet with the very biologists and land managers who gave us explicit directions as what needed to be done to protect the land and minimize the impact of what are defined by international and national standards as social trails.
To the lay person they are known as short cuts or "cutting the corners". They are trails that are defined as redundancy in the same area. Such trails compromise habitat by dividing up the area with soil compaction as well as human scent and creation of fall line trails that enhance erosion and compromise animal behavior.

We regret that you feel that only mtn bikers participated in the very well attended trail day, 120 people. Present were hikers and walkers and children and local residents, teenagers, senior citizens ( of which I now qualify) husbands and wives, blue collar workers and white collar workers and the biologist in charge of the land.
We are collectively disappointed that you categorize a very well meaning and intelligently led group of concerned citizens as "BASTARDS" of "INDESCRIBABLE SELFISHNESS". Aside from the fact that we had no equestrians present you have done that user group a monumental disservice by your language and your angry misdirected
uneducated tirade. You need to write an apology to everyone listed here.

Cactus that we used is an indigenous member of the local botany and was used to keep the people who willfully violate posted signs erected by the land managers and the fences erected by the land managers to keep people like yourself from using these harmful social trails. Did you take the time in your message to let us know what
biology degree you have earned or what your professional expertise is that permits you to lash out in such a manner?? Have you ever taken the time like I have to walk these trails with the experts themselves, the Center For Natural Land Management ?? I am a biology and zoological degree holder and I still have learned more from our biologists at CNLM then what I know. Are you able to justify yourself with an educated background ?

If you are so passionate about the worth of the "down" trails then I am sure you will take the time to get in Touch with Jessie Vinje and Markus Spiegelberg of CNLM. You really should talk to them so they can help you understand your misplaced anger. I would also invite you to e-mail me and meet out there so we might discuss
your concerns.

We are comforted by the fact you may have rescued a juvenile coyote from such an unfortunate accident. Last night as I was leaving I heard more coyotes then usual. Their numbers must be growing and their range is going right into the residential areas.

As for the "domesticated dogs that used to use the "down" trails on a regular basis". The land managers will probably want to know that you have them leashed.

As for your disregard of all the signed postings asking you to respectfully stay on designated trails and our persistent attempts to to discourage social trail use and revegetate the unsustainable trails consider yourself flagged. Thanks to the outpouring of commitment for La Costa there are many new stewards of the preserve and someone will witness
you disregarding the proper etiquette. If your past actions of willful disrespect for what you read and the deadfall you see doesn't get the message out to stay off the social trails then you will be found out.

It was a real pleasure to have you introduce yourself Mrs Peg Crowley. I know I will run into you.

Sincerely Rich Julien
Liaison to La Costa Preserve
Board Member SDMBA

Also, would you mind asking that folks not reply to Mrs. Crowley acting on beheld of CNLM? That is something that Markus and I will do. However, replying to her direct insult to your group is up to you.

Thanks,
Jessie

The following 2 users would like to thank Mudd for his or her post:
Brian, Red Hot Sloth
 Post subject: Re: Dear Mrs Crowley
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:43 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 436 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): toomanytolistand2crackedframes
Favorite Trails: illegal ones
Wow, what a tool. RJ is the man.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:08 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
Is that a joke? She rescued a coyote?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
When I read that e-mail last night, my jaw hit the floor. What an offensive, arrogant and ignorant response. 120 hikers and mountain bikers volunteer their Saturday morning and work in conjunction with the land managers to close unauthorized trails and reduce the environmental impact on the preserve and she is pissed because "I do not wish to utilize the many switchbacks as a walker which would take me unnecessary time to have to descend." Un-F*cking-Believable! You think you are making a difference and gaining some valuable credibility with CNLM and now they have to deal with pissed off hikers who are inconvenienced by having to take switchbacks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:49 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
406 wrote:

I was cracking up about that one last night. I call bullshit. What did she do, gently pat the coyote's head as she removed cactus needles from its paw? I would think a combination of the animal's pain, fright and sharp teeth might have made that situation turn out differently than she describes. And is a wild animal really that unable to figure out a new route, or differentiate between dirt and a cactus plant? I have a feeling it was one of her off leash dogs that she had to help, not a coyote.

By the way, I believe this might be the woman who owns a huge chunk of land just south of La Costa. She is a bit of a psycho case as I understand it, and chases down people who trespass on her property, yelling at them and not accepting any apologies. I'm trying to confirm if it is her.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

mikuteit wrote:
406 wrote:

I was cracking up about that one last night. I call bullshit. What did she do, gently pat the coyote's head as she removed cactus needles from its paw? I would think a combination of the animal's pain, fright and sharp teeth might have made that situation turn out differently than she describes. And is a wild animal really that unable to figure out a new route, or differentiate between dirt and a cactus plant? I have a feeling it was one of her off leash dogs that she had to help, not a coyote.

By the way, I believe this might be the woman who owns a huge chunk of land just south of La Costa. She is a bit of a psycho case as I understand it, and chases down people who trespass on her property, yelling at them and not accepting any apologies. I'm trying to confirm if it is her.

You mean Mrs. Perkins?

Coyote info here: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74135.html
Personally, I wouldn't come near one for fear of rabies, etc.
They have killed several of my dogs and cats over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:01 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Uh, different kind of coyote guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_(smuggler)

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Ld00d wrote:
Uh, different kind of coyote guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_(smuggler)

LOL...I have that soundtrack in my head every time I see the name.

Yes, I guess it's Mrs. Perkins. Dang, thought I had a match.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:44 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Signage....

Attachments:
lacostadogsleash.jpg
lacostadogsleash.jpg [ 139.16 KiB | Viewed 9360 times ]
lacostarulessign.jpg
lacostarulessign.jpg [ 220.97 KiB | Viewed 9371 times ]
lacostacnlmsign.jpg
lacostacnlmsign.jpg [ 192.13 KiB | Viewed 9361 times ]

The following 2 users would like to thank Mudd for his or her post:
moondogg, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
I went for a lunch time ride at La Costa today. Some, but not all, of the work that was completed on the closing of the social trails that cut the switchbacks on has been vandalized. The vertical dead fall has been knocked down. Cactus cuttings that were planted as part of the rehabilitation have been pulled up and thrown into the surrounding bushes. Rocks placed as deterrents have been moved and pushed aside. Duff placed to disguise the old trail has been moved aside. The majority of the damage was seen in the mid mountain social trails. The large social trail at the bottom of The Switchbacks, which is blocked by barbed wire and ‘Off Limits” signage, still is in good shape. I think it is important to note, especially after complaints from hikers, that all work done by SDMBA was completed in conjunction with and at the direction of CNLM to enhance the preserve. A small setback to what was a very positive day for the bike culture in San Diego. However, it goes to show that no matter how much good you think you are doing there will always be someone who doesn't see it that way at all.

I think that CNLM needs to emphasize the use of the Mule Deer Trail as the quickest way to get up and down the mountain. Signs should be posted at the top and bottom empahsizing this. Hike the switchbacks and need to get back to your car? Down Mule Deer Trail. Want to get your DH rig to the top NASCAR ASAP? Push it up Mule Deer Trail. This can help resist the temptation to use Mrs. Crowley's "Down" trails.

The following 4 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
dirtmonger, Mudd, Phonger, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:16 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
I tried to bike up Mule deer on one occasion but quickly gave up on that endeavor. I have credible accoun of only one person claiming to have accomplished that feat.

Now, Mrs. Perkins wouldn't have a picture available so we might recognize her? Did the equestrian reference hit a sour not with anyone else? When I see a horse on La Costa I'm gonna have a fit...

DM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:47 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

dirtmonger wrote:
When I see a horse on La Costa I'm gonna have a fit...

DM

See Rule #8.

Attachments:
lacostarulessign.jpg
lacostarulessign.jpg [ 220.97 KiB | Viewed 9400 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

A response.....

1. I hike up Mule Deer and down those "down" trails so I never saw signs indicating that you were not supposed to use them.

2. The mountain bikers clearly have their own agenda's to preserve "their" trails, because the rock berm at the bottom of the down trails would be more than sufficient to prevent erosion.

3. I founded and own a biological company and I am an animal behaviorist and have worked extensively in wildlife rescue so I do have some knowledge in the area of biological management.

4. Why does everyone keep insisting that my dogs were/are off leash. They were and are not. This just shows me how narrow minded this group is.

I have no desire to have any further contact with you or this group who go to the top of the preserve and litter it with broken glass. The entire top of the preserve is a sea of shards of glass which increases exponentially each week. I suppose you and the mountain bikers have a good explanation of how this assists in wildlife and habitat preservation.

I have volunteered countless hours and raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in fundraising for a well known San Diego organization and that does not make me privvy to making threats against people such as Dr. Julien has done to me and you obviously support.

Peggy Crowley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 14 thanks
Bike(s): Ellsworth Moment
Favorite Trails: La Costa, Noble
I completely understand and empathize with someone being upset by the fact that someone is changing the trails they use regularly. I am still upset about what that asshole downhiller posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=1446#did to the Knott's Berry Farm trail a few years ago. He took a great trail created in the 80’s and drastically changed it for his personal riding style. He even managed to rename it NASCAR. I’m sure glad him and his buddy’s aren’t the ones working with this landowner. We’d be all pissed off if they put up signs, barbed wire, and planted cactus on our switchback trail.

I think La Costa was better before any of the trail maintenance. It was way better before that damn housing tract.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:40 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
sdmoondogg wrote:
I went for a lunch time ride at La Costa today. Some, but not all, of the work that was completed on the closing of the social trails that cut the switchbacks on has been vandalized. The vertical dead fall has been knocked down. Cactus cuttings that were planted as part of the rehabilitation have been pulled up and thrown into the surrounding bushes. Rocks placed as deterrents have been moved and pushed aside. Duff placed to disguise the old trail has been moved aside...

That is terrible to read of! I am sure it's like a kick in the gut to the volunteers and yet, ironically, I hope photos are published and everyone learns of the vandalism. As sick to my stomach as I get hearing of damage to work I didn't even volunteer on (I swear, I had a reason to flake ) I also know that the people who really did the work naturally take on a feeling of ownership and stewardship for the trails. When they see it undone, it hurts but strongly motivates most to be both outraged and supportive of the trail and all trailwork. "Silver lining" in a stinky, dark cloud.

As for Mrs. Crowley... don't flame her. It won't do any good, at least in my view. Anyway, here's what I wrote to her after the second email (also below):
--------------------------------------------
Ms. Crowley,

I'm as sorry to see the frustrated emails you've received as I was to see yours in the first place. I expect that you've been inundated with outraged responses of various caliber.

I hope that the Preserve officials have been able to reach you to confirm that they were the decision makers in terms of trail maintenance and, particularly, the use of indigenous cactus to discourage off-trail excursion by visitors to the Preserve. I know it can be frustrating when trail(s) you like are closed or modified, but the land managers appear to be both well-meaning and intelligent in terms of trail design.

I also hope that you have been able to see the truth of the matter regarding the SDMBA: that they have been a significant part of a major volunteer effort under the direction of the land agency with decision making power. It is certainly true that SDMBA trail construction teams are valued by local agencies due to their training and expertise and it turns out that Richard Julien is among the most-requested construction advisors in the County. Even if you do not understand or appreciate the erosion and traffic control methods utilized, you might find yourself well-served to enquire of the land managers to learn more.

I suspect that you know your initial comments were outrageous and that "mountainbikers" don't like broken glass any more than you do. You might consider the plausibility of one carrying (presumably) beer in bottles on a bumpy ride to the top of a hill, and the result that would occur upon opening such a beverage. With that in mind, you might consider the appearance and context that your objections to a large, community based volunteer work day have been received under.

Here's hoping you have many chances to revisit the La Costa Preserve and that you come to appreciate the efforts of the volunteers to ensure your continued access and enjoyment thereof.

Erik Basil
San Diego Multiuse Trails Coalition

In a message dated 1/13/2009 3:03:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, idelmargo@yahoo.com writes:
1. I hike up Mule Deer and down those "down" trails so I never saw signs indicating that you were not supposed to use them.

2. The mountain bikers clearly have their own agenda's to preserve "their" trails, because the rock berm at the bottom of the down trails would be more than sufficient to prevent erosion.

3. I founded and own a biological company and I am an animal behaviorist and have worked extensively in wildlife rescue so I do have some knowledge in the area of biological management.

4. Why does everyone keep insisting that my dogs were/are off leash. They were and are not. This just shows me how narrow minded this group is.

I have no desire to have any further contact with you or this group who go to the top of the preserve and litter it with broken glass. The entire top of the preserve is a sea of shards of glass which increases exponentially each week. I suppose you and the mountain bikers have a good explanation of how this assists in wildlife and habitat preservation.

I have volunteered countless hours and raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in fundraising for a well known San Diego organization and that does not make me privvy to making threats against people such as Dr. Julien has done to me and you obviously support.

Peggy Crowley