Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
(From another thread)
Update to the Gala Grand Opening of Erik's Trail (aka Cam Ru, or Tunnel Zero):

As posted on the LPCPCAC website, City Councilman Carl DeMaio will be present at the event.

I've written a couple letters to Mr. DeMaio, as well as others, but he had the courtesy to respond. He also seems more a trailblazer, and informed, than your stereotypical politico. May not be a bad idea to have a representative group of bikers there, with an informed spokesperson. Gerst will already have his ear at the event. If we are a no-show, that may be all he will hear.

I'm not an insider on the movement of the political negotiations regarding the Deer Canyon/Tunnels trails, but given the ominous prediction above from Erik, I think we need to organize and move when given the opportunity. Or fold and walk away.

Saving it would be so much sweeter than poaching.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 pm 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
jSatch wrote:
Couldn't agree more on the last point. What do you think about this:

(from another thread)
I imagine a number of politcos will be at Erik's (Cam Ru) trail's grand opening to accept kudos and photo-ops with news groups Aug. 8. Anyone think it would be worthwhile to have a showing of bikers carrying "SAVE TUNNELS" picket signs, or some such signage. Could get some coverage, and the attention of the politicos. May open up some face to face time. Would be good to have someone smart, knowledgeable and comfortable with the media. (Rob M, you there? Allen K? Minette?)

Just a thought.

I would be down... but I dont think it will do any good. IMHO the best option it just keep everything off the radar. It worked before and in all reality it only stopped working when things publicized (hahahah I sound like OCD).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Just so you know: "off the radar" is what the incompetent city staff and the haters wanted. Off the radar would have meant all tunnels closed last summer, with no examination, no discussion, no nothing.

Cockroaches hate the light, even if these ones bite.

The following user would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
jSatch
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:09 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

wirk242 wrote:
I would be down... but I dont think it will do any good. IMHO the best option it just keep everything off the radar. It worked before and in all reality it only stopped working when things publicized (hahahah I sound like OCD).

Yup, I hear ya loud and clear. Cool to try to keep things off the radar, especially as things sure aren't as rosey as we were hoping by this point in time, or as they should have been given the excellent trail plans presented to the city. That is certainly true.

I don't know OCD, although I've agreed with all his posts down the line. In this case however, I'd say we're already past the 'off the radar' phase, and there's no turning back. And I do think a show of force here for DeMaio this Saturday, like the LPCPCAC public meeting last September, is not something he will, or can, overlook.

Besides "legal use prevents illegal abuse", I do have a self-interest in making this place legit. My son is 9 and is taking up biking. Within a year I'd like to take him there. I know I'm not the only DT'er in that boat. Given the current thoughtless and irresponsible course of no legal use of the trails, I expect the habitat will be decimated within 5 years. Truth is, the few of you that are riding the trails are probably helping to maintain the area by keeping the migrants, dirt bikers, 4x4 (upper trails), etc. out. That's very cool for the habitat. Just wish the authorities saw it that way.

One final note, just FYI, you're not exactly off the radar. Especially the night riders. Lisa Ross' house overlooks T5. Lisa is on the DMMDPB and is an adamant opponent of the trails. She could easily see the lights running down the trails at night. I've heard Gerst is having a house built overlooking these trails as well. So contrary to what you might have thought, night rides are not very discreet. So if you really want to stay off the radar, and not jeopardize any remaining shred of legitimizing this place that some worked so hard for, for all of us, please try to refrain from night rides.

The following 2 users would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Canaan, Robo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:07 pm 
Fail242
Fail242

Yeah I know... I was just being 'negative'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

wirk242 wrote:
Yeah I know... I was just being 'negative'.

Not at all man. We're all in the same boat over this, and it's not been positive.

I'll probably get flamed by all the guys toeing the line to legitimize this place, but I think occasional riders / joggers there have a very low impact factor and keep the real park abusers at bay. A good thing, for the habitat anyway. Night riding, however, is just not off the radar.

I'm gonna try to get to the Cam Ru opening between my son's games Saturday, if at all possible. Don't know if I can, or even if it will help. You're probably right about that last part. But if we can mobilize enough bodies to show, it could be impressive.

Cheers

Last edited by jSatch on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
^^^maybe start a post in calendar? with details

The following user would like to thank 406 for his or her post:
jSatch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

406 wrote:
^^^maybe start a post in calendar? with details

There's a calendar page?

Got it. Thanks, done.

Here too:

Reminder from: LPCPCAC Yahoo! Group

Title: CAMINO RUIZ PARK DEDICATION

Date: Saturday August 8, 2009
Time: 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Next reminder: The next reminder for this event will be sent in 2 days, 3 minutes.
Notes: Dedication of Camino Ruiz Neighborhood Park, and hike/bike trail to floor of Penasquitos Canyon.
10:00 A.M.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 8, 2009
CAMINO RUIZ
NEIGHBORHOOD PARK
Camino Ruiz & Calle Cristobal, San Diego, CA 92126. Turn left(north) at intersection.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:41 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
wirk242 wrote:
jSatch wrote:
Couldn't agree more on the last point. What do you think about this:

(from another thread)
I imagine a number of politcos will be at Erik's (Cam Ru) trail's grand opening to accept kudos and photo-ops with news groups Aug. 8. Anyone think it would be worthwhile to have a showing of bikers carrying "SAVE TUNNELS" picket signs, or some such signage. Could get some coverage, and the attention of the politicos. May open up some face to face time. Would be good to have someone smart, knowledgeable and comfortable with the media. (Rob M, you there? Allen K? Minette?)

Just a thought.

:)

Man, I just want to ride my bike(s)...

Sounds like you do too!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:34 pm 
Fail242
Fail242

ocd wrote:
:)

Man, I just want to ride my bike(s)...

Sounds like you do too!

Heh yeah exactly... I just want to ride... I don't care who I have to share them with... just as long at they are there for us to use and respect.