All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:06 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1226 thanks
Received: 854 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Faith. Strider
Favorite Trails: noble, san juan
So I was watching the Bell grant proposal videos and they are all sweet proposals that should get done, win or lose the grant. Take the time to watch the proposals, I want to ride all these trails.
https://www.facebook.com/BellBikeHelmets/app_469747409753569

This got me thinking about san diego. I wish we had a group with the vision and the time and the money to plan and propose trails like like that here. And I wish we had a city that could see the value trails add to the land. We have all the ingredients for great trail systems, but nothing has been done on the scale that could be possible. If you watch the Bell videos it looks like poeple visit those citys to ride there bikes and add money to the economy. This is a good thing.

To the point. If you have an idea for San Diego trails on an epic scale, post them in video form here.

The following 4 users would like to thank slingshot for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Kimba, parker2011, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:38 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
No video to post but I have been following the AZ forums and Nor Cal and both areas have trails all over the place. Most of all, there are very active and willing people to do what it takes to get them built. Trail adoption (of user built trails :ninja: )in AZ is huge around Sedona but has stepped on a couple of toes. For the most part that is why they have miles and miles of trails. Check into some of the other areas around the country and you'll quickly see what we are missing in San Diego.

Thanks for posting and starting the thread :thumbsup:

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
slingshot
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:11 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 184 thanks
Received: 195 thanks
Favorite Trails: south of heaven
...I HAVE THE VISION 'MR SLINGSHOT' THE PROBLEM IS, I SIMPLY DON'T HAVE THE CITY!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:28 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
parker2011 wrote:
...I HAVE THE VISION 'MR SLINGSHOT' THE PROBLEM IS, I SIMPLY DON'T HAVE THE CITY!!!!!

You are right. To what degree, I'm not really sure. San Diego has always seemed fairly regressive to me, whether it is regarding trails and who can access them, or bicycle lanes and bike commuting issues.

Why this is, I don't know. I know that politically, this town has always been reliably conservative in the past, so that likely has something to do with it, but then again, we have just elected the most progressive, liberal mayor that San Diego has ever had. So, things might start changing.

I sure hope so. When I watched the City of Carlsbad just shut down the unique and fantastic trail system there known as "Flightline", and I compared it to the reaction of the City of Tucson to the trail system they have called Fantasy Island, I was struck by the contrast between to the two. Tucson recognized a potential asset, legitimized it, and Carlsbad failed to recognize a just as legitimate asset, and condemned it and paved it over.

Is this because the "will of the people" differs between the two places radically, or because the City powers cater to one class of people in one place (Big Bucks developers here) and the General Public overall in the other?

We have the space, the topography, to make lots of fantastic trails for multiple uses, but do we have the collective will to push for it? I haven't seen it here. At least not at anywhere near the fullest extent that it could happen.

The Jillion Dollar question remains, as always, Why?

I mean, after all, when it comes to bicycling, we "have the weather!"

The following 2 users would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
Canaan, parker2011
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:28 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 184 thanks
Received: 195 thanks
Favorite Trails: south of heaven
Building legal bike trails in SD is such a burocratic experience that it ends up taking out the magic and excitement of trail building itself. Having to control all of the aspects of trail building to the point were trailbuilders hace to satisfy a national standart of construction ends up backing many. San Diego has great topography for any type of trail. Some of the best trails in SD have been made by kids who have decided to skip the NORM perse. I love breaking my back trailbuilding out on the bush. Going through the burocratic process is simply not my thing. Hope someone on DT has the talent and voice to do it! Let me know and ill be pleased to bring the shovels and beers!!!

CHEERS AND HAPPY TRAIL BUILDING!!
KEEP AN EYE ON THE SNAKES!!!