Post subject: Spring Cleaning
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:00 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 31 thanks
Received: 72 thanks
Bike(s): SCTBcLT & TB
Favorite Trails: Twisty, UnSTRAVAcized trails
Someone, or a small group (of likely STRAVA riders) has been doing some destruction of plants and wildlife habitat on TEoTE in MTRP. They have been clear cutting brush and bushes to make the trail more open and faster, leaving the cuttings laying as a fire hazard. This needs to stop. If anyone knows who is doing this, please get word to them, as this will cause trail closure. The trail is a two-way trail and should not be ridden downhill at speeds that require a longer line of sight than what was there. The original builders were very careful to not harm the vegetation and make the trail sustainable. This kind of wholesale cutting and breaking of the brush serves no useful purpose to anyone other than the selfish downhiller racers who did it, and gives the MTB community a bad name with other trail users. If the park rangers find out, we may no longer have access to the trail.

(topic split off from "trail work" thread by member request - ODD)

Last edited by mtbTB on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank mtbTB for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:07 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1848 thanks
Received: 2498 thanks
Favorite Trails: 3
mtbTB wrote:
Someone, or a small group (of likely DH riders) has been doing some destruction of plants and wildlife habitat on TEoTE in MTRP. They have been clear cutting brush and bushes to make the trail more open and faster, leaving the cuttings laying as a fire hazard. This needs to stop. If anyone knows who is doing this, please get word to them, as this will cause trail closure. The trail is a two-way trail and should not be ridden downhill at speeds that require a longer line of sight than what was there. The original builders were very careful to not harm the vegetation and make the trail sustainable. This kind of wholesale cutting and breaking of the brush serves no useful purpose to anyone other than the selfish downhillers who did it, and gives the MTB community a bad name with other trail users. If the park rangers find out, we may no longer have access to the trail.

Sounds fucked up. I don't know anyone dense enough to take their DH bike out there to MTRP. If you can put up a map to show the area you are talking about, it would be helpful. We usually just ride our XC bikes out there. We don't dig on any trails that are patrolled by rangers, only private land. We cannot afford the cost of doing something illegal.
If you have noticed this, I think you might be the better person to find out who it is and have it stop. Many of us don't ride MTRP enough to know what has changed from the last time we rode there. Everyone I ride with only ride there once every 2-4 months.
Also, the rangers have been closing trails off in the area. It could be them.
You do know they are putting a power plant in mission trials right?

The following user would like to thank abzillah for his or her post:
parker2011
 Post subject: Re: Trail Work
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
^^^ Teote is the top of the first single track trail on the left as you head north up Spring Canyon. This area is technically outside of MTRP although it will eventually be incorporated into the park. The plant destruction he is complaining of is definitely not being done by rangers and is not part of any trail closures.

As for the proposed power plant, it's not so clear what its future will be. The proponents lost round one, but apparently they have not given up the fight.

Last edited by Canaan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
mtbTB wrote:
Someone, or a small group (of likely DH riders) has been doing some destruction of plants and wildlife habitat on TEoTE in MTRP. They have been clear cutting brush and bushes to make the trail more open and faster, leaving the cuttings laying as a fire hazard. This needs to stop. If anyone knows who is doing this, please get word to them, as this will cause trail closure. The trail is a two-way trail and should not be ridden downhill at speeds that require a longer line of sight than what was there. The original builders were very careful to not harm the vegetation and make the trail sustainable. This kind of wholesale cutting and breaking of the brush serves no useful purpose to anyone other than the selfish downhillers who did it, and gives the MTB community a bad name with other trail users. If the park rangers find out, we may no longer have access to the trail.

(edit- thanks for the changes mtbTB)

all of the spring trails have undergone some sanitizing the past couple of yrs, and i couldn't agree more, it needs to stop before it becomes a winding fire-road.

teote is a switchback trail, not much dh going on there. but i'll bet, like so many other places recently, you may just find a clue from strava. stavidiots stravtize trails to make faster times and become kom in their own inglorious minds. check their web site and the peeps posting times up there. like i said, you may find some clues. hope so. good luck.

btw- this is an important issue. perhaps that moderators can start it as a new thread.
edit-thank you dan.

Last edited by jSatch on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

The following 2 users would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
his highness, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:02 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Might be better to discuss it off line or in another area. It's the interwebs and everyone has googlefoo.
Even those that like to close trail access and looking for reasons to do so.

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Canaan wrote:
^^^ Teote is the top of the first single track trail on the left as you head north up Spring Canyon. This area is technically outside of MTRP although it will eventually be incorporated into the park. The plant destruction he is complaining of is definitely not being done by rangers and is not part of any trail closures.

As for the proposed power plant, it's not so clear what its future will be. The proponents lost round one, but apparently they have not given up the fight.

Yup, I have never ridden Spring Canyon and don't know where it is, but I have ridden Sycamore Canyon on my XC bike and Spring must be close by. It could be as jSatch said, someone on strava, like the work done in tunnels to clear rock and such.
For downhillers, a trail that is less than 1 mile long and not steep downhill is not worth dragging a bike out to and then pushing up to the top.
Everyone that rides in the area should keep an eye open and look for people who may be doing the damage and tell them to stop. Or put up a sign that says to not alter the trail and that cameras have been setup looking for those responsible.

Also, next time anyone is riding in the area, take photos and post them up so we can see what's been done.

Post subject: Re: Spring Cleaning
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:03 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 3 thanks
Bike(s): Ellsworth Moment
Favorite Trails: Los Gatos Ravine
gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=7804
This is a photo taken Feb 2nd 2013. Someone is hacking the brush to waist level and in some cases to the ground about 5 feet out on each side of the trail. Notice the pink flagging woven into the rocks to help define the trail edge. This is trashy in my mind. I'm all for trail maintenance but this is way over the top. The two biggest gripes I have with this is 1) the fact they are snapping the branches off which is leaving sharp ends that are dangerous and 2) they are leaving all the debris dangling in the bushes to dry and make the trail ugly and also leaving branches scattered on the trail to be sucked into your drive train. OK that might be three peeve’s. Since this picture there has been much more destruction. PLEASE STOP!

The following 2 users would like to thank Rock&Roll for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:15 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Yup, doesn't look steep enough for DH riding. I was actually hoping for it to be super steep so we could have a hidden DH trail. Do what aqua used to do, leave a note for who ever is doing the damage. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:27 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2958 thanks
Received: 769 thanks
Bike(s): Rune
Favorite Trails: I like trails
I saw it today too. There was some minor brush cuts on Mr. Toads too, but not to the extent of what was done on L1. Basically, all of the blind corners are no longer blind. Pretty lame as that was what made that trail fun. Just plain selfish...

The following 3 users would like to thank rob240z for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan, singletrackmitch
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I would like to add my own righteously indignant rant about trail sanitization to this thread, but I'm too tired after today's unexpectedly hot ride. Which also featured a formerly excellent trail that has been significantly dumbed down to some selfish bastard's idea of a "better" trail. Goddam Stravidiots! If someone like me can now ace the rocky sections, it is too dam easy!! Jeez, don't you want to have something to look forward to riding cleanly when your mad skills get even better?!! Ooh...I'm starting to rant after all...so let me offer up a simple rule of thumb: Do NOT remove embedded rocks from an established trail!!!! Oh, I can't stop now...and don't turn a technical two foot wide single track into a twelve foot wide scar by attempting to create a go-around. And then, when your go around is crap, tearing out the rocks in the original section. I don't object to an Easy/ Hard option, but now it's an Easy/Easy section. Okay, now I am tired...into the hammock I go.

The following 4 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Dirtrider, jSatch, rob240z, Rock&Roll
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:24 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1574 thanks
Received: 1653 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
We're all preaching to the choir here. Looks/sounds like over zealous brushing to me. Only 'cure' is to speak directly to whoever is doing this and try to explain the error of their ways.
Definitely not DHers. If that were the case, the trail brushing/cutting would proceed directly down a fall line and not parallel existing trail.
Singletrack is good!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:31 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
There's no good place to brush like that, but where they did it is an exceptionally stupid spot -- no real advantage is gained by creating a longer sight line at that point of the trail. Farther down is at least one blind corner where a descending rider is probably traveling at close to 20 mph -- there it might have made sense. I'm expecting to see a good accident at that spot on the trail one of these days (there and most of the length of 3B, but that's fodder for another thread).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Rock&Roll wrote:
http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=7804

man, that is butt-fugly.

so far no reports on any sightings at either spring canyon or calavera (as per olddogdan)?

not sure anyone here would do that abuse, so posting here may not be effective. but if we all ask around when you see people on the trails, if they saw anything or anybody. sometimes tools are stashed in the bushes (what's left of them). keep a lookout.

Attachment:
487641_549650498387491_1171246633_n.jpg
487641_549650498387491_1171246633_n.jpg [ 66.74 KiB | Viewed 11631 times ]

(from caveman of drunkcyclist.com)

Last edited by jSatch on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 296 thanks
Bike(s): SC Nomad
Favorite Trails: east county, Calaveras
I noticed the pink tape out there the other night when a few of us were riding up. I figured it was marked for a strava race. You shouldn't always blame down hill riders so quickly... Pretty sure your trail bike can go fast too.

The following user would like to thank A_street for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:19 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 184 thanks
Received: 195 thanks
Favorite Trails: south of heaven
....IT WAS THE HIKERS....