All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Actually, you can BUY trails. But it takes far more money than SDMBA can come up with, given its current membership base. And bribery is what the OTHER guy's lobbyist does. Ours* would be effectively influencing the political process. But those guys ask a lot of money for their services. So effectively our lobbyists continue to be part-time volunteers, individually or through organizations (SDMBA, MUTC), doing their best. I hope SDMBA will go from an IMBA affiliate to a chapter. It's a big step to undertake but could be advantageous.

(edit: By "Ours" I mean the theoretical San Diego mountainbikers' lobbyist -- I am in no way speaking for SDMBA.)

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
mino, mtbgurlSD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:55 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
bankerboy wrote:
TRAIL WORK – INDIAN CREEK TRAIL, 12\1 AT 9:00 A.M.

Join SDMBA on Indian Creek Trail in the Laguna Mountains where we will cut back the heavy brush on approx 1/8 mile of trail East of Champagne Pass.

Meet 9:00 a.m. at Pioneer Mail Picnic area. Sturdy shoes, gloves, long sleeves, long pants & a hat are highly recommended, eye protection is required. Be prepared for cooler weather. Please bring your own food and water. All tools and training will be provided.

Conditions permitting we will be running gas powered brush saws, so we should make quick work of this and be able to go for a ride afterward. After trail work swag courtesy of http://www.calcoastbicycles.

Please R.S.V.P. to mark@sdmba.com so we know how many tools are needed.

Directions: I-8 East past Pine Valley to left on Sunrise Highway to Pioneer Mail Picnic Area at Mile Marker 29.3.

A Forest Adventure Pass is required.

I'm going in the morning and leaving from PQ. If someone wants a ride let me know.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
You know theres a race in PQ tomorrow morning, you'll be driving away from it...for shame.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Red Hot Sloth wrote:
You know theres a race in PQ tomorrow morning, you'll be driving away from it...for shame.

I'm too fat, lazy, and old to race. Total book clubin speed for me :cheers:

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:41 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 13 thanks
Favorite Trails: Epping Forest
When I read comments like “SDMBA needs to pick up the ball” and “focus on preserving and increasing singletrack mileage” it just make me wonder… WTF do you think SDMBA has been trying to do for the past 17 years!?!

I know these things aren’t happening fast enough or sufficiently enough for your satisfaction, nor mine. But at least someone is doing something. I often see suggestions or comments that start off with “I think…” or “I don’t think….” I wish some of you would stop thinking so much or stop not thinking so much and actually DO something tangible that is contributing or helpful to improving the legal riding options we have, or improving the status of mountain bikers so that we can achieve more quickly what we all want.

Money alone doesn’t make things happen (unless you are talking about million$). People make things happen.

If every mountain biker who did nothing else for advocacy, but participated only a couple hours for only once a month at a Community Planning Group or local park or preserve meeting or City Hall meeting or County Parks or Open Space meeting we would start to have the kind of influence we want with the decision makers. It’s very difficult to get a piece of the pie if you can’t be bothered to come to the table.

So yeah, to anyone and everyone that volunteered at a mountain biking event, went to a trailwork, attended a meeting or wrote a letter on behalf of mountain bikers: Thank You!
And writing letters to this forum don’t count.

The idea of hiring a lobbyist is a good one. SDMBA actually consulted with one at one time. I’m not sure why it didn’t happen. The organization would need to be able to support that salary for an extended period of time with no guarantee that you will achieve what you are hoping for. I saw that MTBR did a poll to see if there was support for IMBA to Lobby for opening Wilderness Areas to mountain bikes. 82.72% said yes. Maybe SDMBA should consider this again.

The following user would like to thank mino for his or her post:
bankerboy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:44 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
mino wrote:

And writing letters to this forum don’t count.

Truer words have not been spoken. It takes me 30 seconds to write this and the impact is nothing. It might make somebody mad at me but it has no influence over the powers that be. The on-line letter writing campaigns have been largely ignored by the politicians and influential bodies. The best way to get anything done is be involved personally, be seen and counted, lend a physical hand. Take a shovel, rake, and/or pickax and repair the trails. Armor your favorite burm, fill in a washout, or divert the water with grade reversals and water bars. Some of the easiest things take only minutes, some take half a day. But all of it is more effective than bemoaning inaction here.

But we all know that, right?

The following user would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
OhNooo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
You ever get one of those "Happy Holidays" letters then open it up and it guilts you with pictures of starving children then you throw it away?

-Big Clyde

The following 4 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:43 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Kimba wrote:
You ever get one of those "Happy Holidays" letters then open it up and it guilts you with pictures of starving children then you throw it away?

Ha I saw a couple of those in the mail this month too..
What about all the staving MTBikers wanting to taste new singletrack? :lol:

A agree with BB about lending a hand when you can but we are all trying to get NEW trails built and that's where the help is needed. Trying to weave your way through all the Bureaucrat/Enviro/Gov
BS is what we have a hard time doing. I can use a shovel & rake which I do as much as possible.
Most efforts seem to be aimed at just trying to keep what little we have (which is needed and greatly appreciated)
I don't think anyone needs to shoot the messenger tho since I'm sure they are trying to move things forward wherever possible. They ride too.. :thumbsup:

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
bankerboy, Kimba