All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:26 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 296 thanks
Bike(s): SC Nomad
Favorite Trails: east county, Calaveras
Hey guys, got a warning at mission trails north of the 52 at the top of 3 barrels this morning. Took my license information for records. Fine is $5000 if Im ever caught there again. The MPs said there was signs going up 3 barrels, but I checked on the way back down and there is not. The only sign I know of out there is the one in the back of the main canyon. So yea, just a warning for all those looking to ride out there in the future.

Same went for Sycamore canyon according to another rider. MPs waiting on the west side of the Santee lakes for trespassers and taking down their info and warning them of the $5000 fine. From the map they showed us, as long as you stay hugged up to the lakes on the way out to the preserve, you should be good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:02 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 431 thanks
Received: 323 thanks
Bike(s): SC 5010ccV1
Favorite Trails: Lake Morena, Sycamore Canyon
*(*#^*&^(#*E@)(#*^)*&(
There... I said it. O.K. folks: Like having local trails?
Send your sentiments to our esteemed local county supvsr. Perhaps this needs to be the squeaky wheel again. Tell all your riding buddies that don't frequent this site to WRITE! dianne.jacob@sdcounty.ca.gov

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:10 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

I should have added this, the MP said that a MTB that had ridden onto east miramar ended up getting hurt and flown out and is now suing the government. Hence the increased military presence.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:43 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 466 thanks
Received: 234 thanks
Bike(s): All of them
Favorite Trails: Ones with dirt
It's always some jackass that gets hurt and then sues that recks it for the rest of us. What no sticker on his bike that said" Mountian biking is dangerous you could get hurt jackass".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:22 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

I should have added this, the MP said that a MTB that had ridden onto east miramar ended up getting hurt and flown out and is now suing the government. Hence the increased military presence.

THAT IS BULLSHEET... no such incident happened. If it did, we in the MTb community would have heard of this (and know the details). Not even Supvsr Jacobs office has data on this "incident".

The military, once again, are hoping small minds fall for their misinformation campaign. Are you a small mind?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:11 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 830 thanks
Received: 521 thanks
Bike(s): Fat Possom
Favorite Trails: The next one
mtbchip wrote:

THAT IS BULLSHEET... no such incident happened. If it did, we in the MTb community would have heard of this (and know the details). Not even Supvsr Jacobs office has data on this "incident".

The military, once again, are hoping small minds fall for their misinformation campaign. Are you a small mind?

I saw the info on the accident. Don't know if the guy sued, but I know that someone got hurt in the area recently.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 202 thanks
Received: 253 thanks
Bike(s): Scott DH sled
Favorite Trails: Pachea,Idy, ATT
Damn Marines!!

The following user would like to thank Mpmffitz for his or her post:
rob240z
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:45 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

FatWhat? wrote:
mtbchip wrote:
I saw the info on the accident. Don't know if the guy sued, but I know that someone got hurt in the area recently.

You KNOW what? Please explain and provide a source.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:15 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
mtbchip wrote:
FatWhat? wrote:
mtbchip wrote:

You KNOW what? Please explain and provide a source.

Considering Fatwhat? is a paramedic, i believe if he cites any more info than he just did could push the boundaries of HIPPA. Also, considering he is a friend of mine, I trust his source is solid.

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
abzillah
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

mtbchip wrote:

Go get your own facts guy. Most mtbers probably arent forum nerds so it's possible we haven't heard.

I was simply passing on a friendly warning. Who cares about the source, it's government property and we aren't supposed to ride there. That fact and a $5000 fine is enough to make me use other trails for awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:03 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

"I saw the info on the accident. Don't know if the guy sued, but I know that someone got hurt in the area recently."

I call shenanigans again..... "gee, good enough for me" may work for some of you. Me and another dozen or so riders have been riding those trails 20+ years. YES, I've been "hurt" in those trails. Many guys I ride with have BROKEN body parts, some in those same canyons. NONE OF THEM SUED, NONE OF THEM WOULD EVEN THINK OF FILING AN ACTION , ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE GOV'T.

Gov't has a fine record of dis-information going back many years. Because they know many folks become automatic "gullible fools" if it comes from the "color of authority". Try to think this thru....... instead of lying down and playing dead. Around 2 years ago the US gov't offered ALL the land in question to the SD county parks..... they wanted $6million dollars. County couldn't pay.... now all of a sudden we are a security risk? A threat to the environment. Could hurt ourselves and wouldn't be able to "get out". Could get bit by a snake! Could get attacked by a Badger! The Marines have brainwashed their minion of 100's of other convincing "reasons" to scare you out of the canyons. It was a ransom the county couldn't pay..... you want more information on this?

Call county sup Diane Jacobs office. I'll make it as easy as flaming back at me, here is the ph# (619) 531-5522. They have all the data and time to hold your hand and explain the story behind the story. Like I said before... this is SIX MILLION DOLLARS WORTH of BULLSHEET. :flame:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:30 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
ValE
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:57 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

DON'T feed the Marines!!!

Why don't you call supr Jacobs office. Then get back to this post and tell us something intelligent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:48 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 9 thanks
Received: 4 thanks
Bike(s): giant riegn
Favorite Trails: ATT, San Juan, Noble, E ticket
Wow, harsh. Mtbchip is definitly not a troll, has been riding MTRB for over twenty years, is one of the coolest people I know, and is correct in my opinion. Who cares if someone really got hurt and is suing the govt. or not. What mtbchip is right about is that we should all take the time to call our govt. reps. and make some noise about getting access to OUR trails back. It doesnt take long to do. I have riden these canyons hundreds of times and to me they are sacred. Its where I go to recharge. I realize that this is military land and all but they should at least let us ride all of sycamore and parts of Oak and Spring and connectors. Just don't ride by the firing range. Is that asking too much? In my original post was misunderstood when I said the loss of these trails "Sucks for locals" These trails are ALL OF OURS AS FELLOW MOUNTAINBIKERS and HIKERS! When I ride I try and throw out nothing but good vibes. I used to surf alot in the mid seventies and eighties and hated that localism SHIT. I tell surfers that mountainbiking is more fun because it is the trails are "six foot and perfect every day" Every one ride on and enjoy what we have left. I enjoy this website and will ride east county trails with anyone. THIS is how I feel. And I am sure mtbchip feels the same way.

Last edited by fastskillfulinjured on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 pm 
Participant
Participant

Received: 30 thanks
Favorite Trails: Mostly off-limits these days..
I heard it was a girl that got injured while riding out there, needed to be airlifted, and was suing the Marines for maintaining a hazardous risk. If that's true that chick needs to be publicly outed for the stupid douchette she is. FWIW I think that story's BS. Right after it supposedly happened(and the MP's started getting really zealous)I asked a ranger at Sycamore if he had heard anything about it and he hadn't. Then, one fine Sunday I got stopped right behind Santee Lakes, the Marines were telling me and my friends that they were sent out there to "protect sensitive habitat..." yet(I pointed out) they got out there with a Humvee... they were being polite and all but c'mon man. I hate it when somebody is looking me in the eye trying to blow smoke up my @ss!

The following user would like to thank Gon for his or her post:
ValE