PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 28 thanks
Bike(s): Uzzi
Favorite Trails: lots
I posted this over on MTBR:

There has been a lot of cutting of trees this last week at the bottom of tunnel 5. I counted at least 19 oak trees or large oak branches, 2-6 inches in diameter, which have been cut. Tree stumps were left 4-5’ off the ground, cut trees and branches barely moved off of the trail, and some huge openings in the canopy are now evident. This is on the part of the trail where trees would first block access to equestrian travel up-canyon, when leaving the brush and entering the canopy, a part of the trail which all cyclists I have ever talked with have regarded as defining the characteristics of the tunnel trails which make them such a special place to ride. There can be no doubt this was done by equestrians.

Sunday afternoon, I went down there armed with a camera and found 2 equestrians, 3 horses and 4-5 dogs in that part of tunnel 5 which had been cut. I did not see them actually doing any cutting, but I was able to get pictures of them as they were leaving the area and some of the damage that was evident. The section of trail in the picture used to be completely enclosed. I have more pictures of the damage. I have long suspected these guys, who almost always ride with dogs, to be the tunnel tree cutters, as I see them often enough on the more technical tunnel single track, but rarely have I seen another equestrian except on the Eucalyptus Ridge, the Rim Trail and the fire roads. In addition, they match descriptions of the equestrians found cutting in tunnel 4 last July. I have an address for their ranch in Del Mar Mesa also, but since I really have no concrete proof, I will not post this publicly, unless more proof is forthcoming. Any other witnesses out there?

I would like to suggest that mountain bikers, whom I consider to be the stewards of the tunnels, make every effort to ride and patrol the lower part of tunnel 5, armed with cameras, to see if we can’t make tree cutting more difficult. If they continue to cut, perhaps we can get pictures of them in action. Although future access to these trails by cyclists or hikers is still being negotiated, any access will be less valuable if the cutting continues.
Attachment:
IMG_0138_2.jpg
IMG_0138_2.jpg [ 189.96 KiB | Viewed 9727 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0139_2.jpg
IMG_0139_2.jpg [ 218.81 KiB | Viewed 9726 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0146_2.jpg
IMG_0146_2.jpg [ 193.84 KiB | Viewed 9723 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0161_2.jpg
IMG_0161_2.jpg [ 207.27 KiB | Viewed 9716 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This last picture is one JSatch posted over on MTBR which shows what that section of trail used to look like.
Tunnel 5, pre-deforestation.jpg
Tunnel 5, pre-deforestation.jpg [ 115.82 KiB | Viewed 9714 times ]

Last edited by Missing in Action on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following 7 users would like to thank Missing in Action for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, moondogg, OffRoadie, OldDogDan, remgeo, Robo, 406
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:12 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
That's incredible. A lot of cutting going on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
I just posted this on mtbr as well...

I can't be positively sure but I saw a white hair dude with a light blue denim levis jacket with the fake wool lining; whacking away on Friday 12/5 around 4PM. I think it's the guy on the brown horse.

Holy Schnapp, I was on a ride with friends and we blasted through there quick, I said, oh, "doing a little trail maintenance?" to him and he grunted something and I rode past. It didn't occur to me till later that I didn't see a bike anywhere near him and just remembered all the limbs and branches everywhere. (I also rode through there the next day and really saw the damage -- holy double schnapp!!)

Shiayt, what do we do about this? Taking pictures won't bring that canopy back. They literally destroyed the uniqueness of the bottom of T5. I can't stand horse people now. :twisted:

Last edited by qpcr8tiv on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:22 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 43 thanks
Received: 35 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Liquid 55
Favorite Trails: LPQ
Even if they aren't the ones cutting, I'd send the park pictures just for violating the leash law.

The following user would like to thank liquidmagnum for his or her post:
Zippy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:39 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
Thanks for posting this. The ongoing carnage to the Tunnels upsets me to end. I hope someone catches those bastards in the act.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:05 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 30 thanks
Received: 126 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Cervelo R3 00 Homegrown
So the MTBers are the vilans in the whole Tunnels drama. Yet these jackasses are hacking away at the forest on "County" land? WTF! Thats all I have to say. What is the deal with equestrians out here and not wanting to share the trail with other people? I think its total BS we can ride the single track. Back at home we shared ALL trails with everyone with no one bitching about the other.

Sorry for the selection of words. Stuff like this pisses me off. One group ruining the trails and using us as a scape goat. I'm used to riding on trails from back in the French and Indian war days that no one molests.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:18 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Yo where's SDMBA?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:37 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 17 thanks
Received: 250 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Trek Fuel EX 9
Favorite Trails: ...
Generally i'm not one to take offensive measures... i think we need some 8" diameter holes dug 16" deep. That is seriously lame sh*t they're pulling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:02 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Post Deleted.

Last edited by moondogg on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 pm 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
fuck this shit.... Seriously... that shit will take a over a decade to grow back...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 153 thanks
Received: 133 thanks
Bike(s): KHS ST Team, Raleigh XXIX
That's so sad people are self-centered enough to cut trees down like that. Totally ruining a unique environment just so they can ride their horses through. There's plenty of places to ride a horse; why chop this section up? They're ruining the unique atmosphere they're trying to create access to. Man, how can people be so blind and ignorant.

http://www.ericpalmerendurancecoaching.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:11 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
fuck!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:00 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2 thanks
Bike(s): titus moto-lite
Favorite Trails: Noble / Tunnels
One thing is why would "oldschoolbmxer" ride by a guy cutting down trees and do nothing?!!! You can't even pay attention enough to be able to positively ID the person. You have failed your fellow MTBers and Let me make this perfectly clear to ALL espesically "OLDSCHOOLBMXER" If you see any one doing cutting of any kind follow them get a licence plate, get a name, get pictures, get any thing. We don't have the opportunity do catch someone in the act often and the least you could do is be a good witness and then get with myself Mike Maio PQ Liaison at (mike@sdmba.com 858-792-7600) AND Gina Washington the PQ Ranger at gwashington@sandiego.gov

Mike Maio CPT, CES
SDMBA Liaison for PQ
Owner and Master Trainer of
Push Personal Training
10999 Sorrento Valley Rd.
SD, CA. 92121
858-792-7600
Also This goes to "Luna" : as a well versed theologian i know there is nothing in the "book of mormon" that states you can't do MTB Trail Advocacy do to the fact that you are a mormon. So I suggest you roll your sleeves up and help the fight instead of just geeking out in chat rooms and questioning "Where's SDMBA?" i have received many request on how people can get involved, but not by you.

SDMBA is hard at work and does not have unlimited time to "Chat", and i suppose that if just half the time spent on the fun yet fruitless discussions online were spent in SDMBA's coordinated effort for Trail Patrol you would be getting more riding in and less Trail Destruction. Remember Online=Offbike
Email the ranger Gina at the address above and tell her you are interested in The Bike Patrol for PQ.

The following 2 users would like to thank mikemaio for his or her post:
EBasil, Robo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:38 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Two points:

1. Where is the SDMBA? Look in the reflection on your monitor. If you're reading Dirt Treaders because you're one of those despicable land wreckers known as mountainbikers, then SDMBA is YOU. You're the shock troops, you're the reaction team, you're the power. Those folks you were thinking are SDMBA are just the leaders that volunteer time to help YOU step up.

2. Are you interested and willing to participate in the Los Penasquitos Volunteer Patrol?

The Los Penasquitos Volunteer Patrol is an ongoing cooperation between members of the Preserve community and Rangers Gina Washington and John Garwood. Members ride and walk the Preserve to assess current conditions, interact with visitors in the manner of a "trail docent" and to provide assistance, first aid and emergency response in coordination with the Ranger(s) and local agencies. If you're already visiting our Preserve, it's a fun way to ensure others' experience is as good and safe as it can be and, if you're not regularly visiting Los Penasquitos, the Patrol is a great "excuse" to visit!

The Volunteer Patrol is looking for more participation in 2009, and we're looking for equestrian, hiking and cycling volunteers. Participation requires each volunteer to have/maintain both CPR and First Aid training, to complete a course in procedures and radio protocol, and to demonstrate a committment to cheerful interaction as an "ambassador of the preserve". One must also be over 18 years of age.

Anyone reading this that is interested in becoming a member of the LPCP Volunteer Patrol should contact Ranger Washington to indicate your interest. ( gwashington@sandiego.gov ) If we get enough response and interest before the New Year, there's a great possibility that the City will put on a group training day for the First Aid/CPR certifications many will need to earn/renew (and you might find a motion at the CAC asking to fund it for a few bucks). What a great way to get First Aid/CPR training "for free"!

You don't have to be a member of the CAC (or any other committee) to participate, but CAC members who complete the courses and participate in at least one "patrol ride/hike" will win a Cup of Coffee, donated by me (and brewed at a time coincident with its award, fear not)! Heck, I will extend this generous offer to any new member of the Patrol. Contact Ranger Washington now!

Erik Basil
Treasurer, LPCP-CAC
Member, LPCP Volunteer Patrol

We even accept the human scum known as mountainbikers. I swear!

Ho ho! Look, "patrol" is granola to an extent and there IS an element of "I feel like a cop" if you take it seriously enough to deal with the incessant "dogs off leash" issue that's so prevalent. It doesn't require you to be a wheezing old man on a singlespeed, or a breathy-voiced Birkenstock goofball with a "birders" book, though: before the patrol faded out there were some pretty gnarly riders covering major miles on "patrols" and putting a really good face on trail use by all groups. One ride a month, coordinated with the Ranger(s) is all it takes to do you part as a "Steward of the Land". More rides are great, of course.

The rider that encountered the latest cutting and took photos is a perfect example of how Trail Patrol can work.

The following 2 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
moondogg, Robo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:48 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
mikemaio wrote:
One thing is why would "oldschoolbmxer" ride by a guy cutting down trees and do nothing?!!! You can't even pay attention enough to be able to positively ID the person. You have failed your fellow MTBers and Let me make this perfectly clear to ALL espesically "OLDSCHOOLBMXER" If you see any one doing cutting of any kind follow them get a licence plate, get a name, get pictures, get any thing. We don't have the opportunity do catch someone in the act often and the least you could do is be a good witness and then get with myself Mike Maio PQ Liaison at (mike@sdmba.com 858-792-7600) AND Gina Washington the PQ Ranger at gwashington@sandiego.gov

Mike Maio CPT, CES
SDMBA Liaison for PQ
Owner and Master Trainer of
Push Personal Training
10999 Sorrento Valley Rd.
SD, CA. 92121
858-792-7600
Also This goes to "Luna" : as a well versed theologian i know there is nothing in the "book of mormon" that states you can't do MTB Trail Advocacy do to the fact that you are a mormon. So I suggest you roll your sleeves up and help the fight instead of just geeking out in chat rooms and questioning "Where's SDMBA?" i have received many request on how people can get involved, but not by you.

SDMBA is hard at work and does not have unlimited time to "Chat", and i suppose that if just half the time spent on the fun yet fruitless discussions online were spent in SDMBA's coordinated effort for Trail Patrol you would be getting more riding in and less Trail Destruction. Remember Online=Offbike
Email the ranger Gina at the address above and tell her you are interested in The Bike Patrol for PQ.

Mike,

Thank you for your dedication to keeping Tunnels open as the SDMBA liason for LPQ. Your tireless work is greatly appreciated. I understand that with your passion for these trails and the many hours you have volunteered, that you can be frustrated with OldschoolBMXer. However, not everyone is as educated on the issues as yourself. Imagine heading down T5 in the middle of a group ride, trying to keep up with your friends, and you pass what looks like a hiker on the side of the trail. Your friends rode by and what do you do, but keep riding? I think it is obvious that after the fact, once he saw the pictures posted by MIA, he realized what he had witnessed. At least he was willing to acknowledge the fact that he saw someone fitting the description of the horseback riders in the vicinity of the trail destruction. That furthers MIA's belief that these are the guys who have been doing the cutting. Not a perfect ID, but something. I know you are angry, but I do not think you should fault him for his lack of attention or realizing at the time what he had witnessed. Your condescending response to OldschoolBMXer and Luna perpetuates the stereotype of SDMBA'ers sitting high and mighty on the mountain top shouting down to all those below without the same time or inclination for trail advocacy. I would say lift them up and ask them to help and be active rather than condescend and scold.

Matt Merritt
Active Member of SDMBA

The following 7 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Brian, jonathan_sykes81, luna, Phonger, Red Hot Sloth, sladnas