All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:22 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
I know Mike Maio and I can attest that he's passionate but not at all condescending.

The following user would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:16 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
sdmoondogg wrote:
Your condescending response to OldschoolBMXer and Luna perpetuates the stereotype of SDMBA'ers sitting high and mighty on the mountain top shouting down to all those below without the same time or inclination for trail advocacy. I would say lift them up and ask them to help and be active rather than condescend and scold.

Thanks for the reminder of why I don't have a membership.

I think the DT cool vibe honeymoon is officially over.

Mike it is so easy to say what he should have done, you were not there. Chill the F out, why don't you take a breath and give us all an idea of what we can do, organize something. Don't sit at computer and talk down to any of us. We all want the best for all of our trails. But attitudes like that make me want to say F it, why bother. He inadvertently witnessed and can identify the offender, hey that's more than you had a few days ago. Most of us are willing to help out, but none of us are your children, we are all adults here so treat us as such. It is one thing to be passionate and another to a jerk. I am not Luna or OldschoolBMXer, but I persoannly took offense to all of your comments. Some us don't have the time to patrol, is that wrong? No it is not. No where did I sign up to do anything when I bought my bike, but I do what I can when I can.

I look forward to the positive steps we can do to ever keep this from happening again, anything more than that will fall on deaf ears. This website gives you acces to many ideas and backgrouds, use them. You are not alone in your fight, but well on your way to being that way.

The following 6 users would like to thank EMFC for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, jonathan_sykes81, luna, moondogg, Phonger, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:19 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
EBasil wrote:
I know Mike Maio and I can attest that he's passionate but not at all condescending.

EBasil, thank you very much for your hard work, volunteer time and dedication. Your tireless effort is greatly appreciated.

I have met and ridden with Mike a handful of times. He is not a condescending person, but I felt his post came off that way. I thought about it this way....would that post have inspired those who he was talking too to join SDMBA, MTC, attend meetings and get educated....or would it have turned them away? I felt the latter and thought something should be said.

Now, what can we do to help the cause? Keep a look out for suspicous "trailbuilders". Keep a camera at the ready. Report new activity to Ranger Washington. Join the patrol. Anything else?

The following 3 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
luna, Phonger, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 12 thanks
Bike(s): Enduro, Demo, Allez, SlopeStyl
Favorite Trails: Anything steep and rocky
mikemaio wrote:
One thing is why would "oldschoolbmxer" ride by a guy cutting down trees and do nothing?!!! You can't even pay attention enough to be able to positively ID the person. You have failed your fellow MTBers.

Wow!! What a dick! I dont care who you are or what you have done, that is just rude Mike.

mikemaio wrote:

Mike Maio CPT, CES
SDMBA Liaison for PQ
Owner and Master Trainer of
Push Personal Training
10999 Sorrento Valley Rd.
SD, CA. 92121
858-792-7600

Is that really a plug for your personal business? Thats funny.

I'm out. This thread just reminds me how much I hate message boards and politics.

The following user would like to thank Sully for his or her post:
luna
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:58 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

sdmoondogg wrote:
EBasil wrote:
Now, what can we do to help the cause? Keep a look out for suspicous "trailbuilders". Keep a camera at the ready. Report new activity to Ranger Washington. Join the patrol. Anything else?

Those right there are core... heck, the patrol is way into "extra mile" as far as I'm concerned. One thing to remember, it seems to some people as if we should all know this. Sometimes it's because it's been posted so many times, or seems like common sense, or is in a thread we're in at the time.

Basically, the rule established in 1994 was that mountain bikes were banned on all singletrack, mountainbikers had no appreciation or interest in the outdoors and bikes should be banned from all trails other than a few fire roads throughout the city. Not every location you may have heard about or ridden was within jurisdiction or enforcement capacity, but this was the rule and one that particular people (Sierra Club, which is horribly anti bike in SD, PQ/DMM equestrians and others) really liked. Guys like Greg Lambert, Tom Floyd, Rob Mikuteit and others didn't like the idea, and Lambert went out and formed the SDMBA (at a time when IMBA was some hippies in Durango). Every single place you can ride today legally in the City of SD (that's not a fire road) is because people before us (sometimes including us) stood up at meetings, joined the volunteer patrols at MTRP or LPCP to prove we support the preserves, wrote letters, joined committees, acted responsibly on trail and, when smacked down, insulted or slighted by crackpots, bad rules or bad Rangers, stood up and said, HELL NO YOU WON'T.

None of this required anyone to sign up to be a cop, but it did rely on people that were smart enough to realize our parks aren't RedBull courses, even if we really need to shred the gnar. It did require that some people's feelings got hurt. Sometimes this is the volunteers that wipe our asses for us, and sometimes it's those who feel like they deserve a reach around along with the wipe. It happens to both.

Mike Maio has stepped up, and into the maw of disinformation and anti-bike establishment at Los Penasquitos that some of us have worked for years to rebuild into a simple, friendly organization that can focus on preserving and improving LPCP instead of fighting over a ridiculous caste system for the few trails that haven't been bulldozed. It can be frustrating, as I know personally, when our friends go out and ride muddy trails when the preserve is closed, profess ignorance of trails access issues they don't know about because they're too busy to stand up for their own rights or take an "it's not my problem" approach to something like a guy chopping the Tunnels apart. I'm not saying that's what the rider above actually saw, but I am saying I pretty much thought the same thing when I read it, too. WTF?? You see someone destroying the trails and ride on by?

So cut the guy a little slack. If you're like the rider above that's just never going to step up and work a trail day or attend a meeting or whatever, because his ass hasn't been kissed gently enough by the ones wiping it for him, I think it's a bummer and inevitable and part of the game. Other than skateboarders, it might be mountainbikers that have proven themselves the most adept at crapping their own nest by stabbing themselves in the back. If you're not like how I've chosen to characterize the rider above, then ease off and realize that an encounter with these vandals that doesn't result in either a photo or more is an opportunity lost... and one that guys in the trenches like Mike slap their foreheads over.

The thing is, there are a lot of ways we can each step up: trail maintenance, showing up at meetings, writing to elected officials, trail patrol, letters to the editor, cameras on trail to document things, whatever... find something that allows you to keep riding and experiencing what hasn't been bulldozed yet.

Who here supports the hacking, thrashing and destruction of Tunnels? Not you, dear reader? Anyone? --just could be we're on the same team, fellas. Wassup.

The following 2 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
moondogg, Robo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
EBasil wrote:
sdmoondogg wrote:
EBasil wrote:
..."it's not my problem" approach to something like a guy chopping the Tunnels apart. I'm not saying that's what the rider above actually saw, but I am saying I pretty much thought the same thing when I read it, too. WTF?? You see someone destroying the trails and ride on by?

.... an encounter with these vandals that doesn't result in either a photo or more is an opportunity lost... and one that guys in the trenches like Mike slap their foreheads over.

Who here supports the hacking, thrashing and destruction of Tunnels? Not you, dear reader? Anyone? --just could be we're on the same team, fellas. Wassup.

I'll pull out a few blurbs and provide context for you guys who weren't there... I didn't see the guy sawing (i just put 2 + 2 together) -- I was on a group ride last Friday and it was getting close to sunset, we were going fast up the tunnels to get out of there. I was pulling up the rear.

I didn't witness him sawing but I did see him pull big tree limbs that looked freshly cut off the trails -- this is the smoking gun. When I recalled later with my friends (and also noticing that the canopy had been whacked), we thought the guy wasn't a biker, wasn't dressed like a hiker and he was wearing clothes that was more suitable for someone who's riding a horse (the dude was older and didn't have a physique of a biker or hiker); we all agreed that it had to have been an equestrian. It became more clear to me when I saw it on Saturday what the guy was doing.

So in a quick moment it happened. How many of you stop because you see someone clearing some rocks off a trail -- he appeared to be removing branches off a trail. Nothing looks suspicious if you're not on the look out for it.

Look, I ride because it's my passion and usually I have an hour to squeeze it in. I don't make it a point to carry a camera and be on the look out for suspicious activity (of course I know better now). I can understand the frustration but... Mike if you're reading this, the way you wrote it, made you out to be however people are going to see you.

I was out there today with MIA to inspect what has happened and to look for stashed tools and I brought my camera. I ride these trails almost daily, and I maintain them as such. I give a damn just like every poster here. But don't be coming with the attitude like I don't care. That's just plain insulting.

The following 3 users would like to thank qpcr8tiv for his or her post:
luna, moondogg, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
WOW!!! I will post my comment tomorrow.

Mike Maio :welcome:

Erik glad to see you post again.

I still don't get what the SDMBA is for.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Oh yeah see the ugly little fat guy in the middle with the blue shirt & tie on, sitting to the right with the guy with the orange shirt, that's your's truely. So which one is you Mike?

Here's the thread on the meeting. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=634

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:09 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
So what should we do about people hacking up the canopy of the Tunnels?

We can't repair the damage done, but we certainly don't want more to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:26 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9432 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Hey everyone: let's keep this civil, and watch out how you address the horse riders. You can do more harm by attacking them here -- I know from experience via a misunderstood sig line.

Oh, and that icon with the guy beating the horse: it's not intended for demonstrating a beat-down on anyone or anything. It's supposed to be a visual representation of an old expression. It will go away if it continues to be used as a threat to horses or their riders...

The following 4 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, luna, Red Hot Sloth, Robo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:56 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

luna wrote:
Oh yeah see the ugly little fat guy in the middle with the blue shirt & tie on, sitting to the right with the guy with the orange shirt, that's your's truely. So which one is you Mike?

WTF, you're not the one in the avatar?! :crying: Please disregard the PM message I sent about eloping.

Ho ho... I think we met at the meeting. By the way, Mike isn't in that picture because he was up at the podium or CAC table. Mike is the guy that went second of the three persons in the SDMBA/MTC presentation with the maps, covering habitat preservation and sensitive species, and he's the SDMBA rep to the CAC. He looks like Hulk Hogan with a crew cut and a golf shirt, but don't mention steroids because he can become unreasonably agitated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:32 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

EBasil wrote:
luna wrote:
WTF, you're not the one in the avatar?! :crying: Please disregard the PM message I sent about eloping.

Erik we can still elope, I'm married :lol:

I haven't been to LPQ in over a month, it saddens me to see the destruction, however with only limited space available, it does not surprise me.I only see the problem getting worse, I hope I'm wrong, but that is my belief.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 am 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
I understand that Trail Advocacy is a hotbed of agitated discussions because it is focused on what we all hold so dear to our lives. And I expect to see heated cases thrown back and forth...of course, Mt Biking is what just about all of us are passionate about. Because of this though, we may say (type) things that we being normal and rational people might not have originally planned on typing or saying in the first place.
Lets remember to respect our fellow riders and understand that just because one person is on the board of whatever proponent group, doesn't make him care anymore than someone who isn't. Lets remember not to throw judgement at what I would consider our "teammates".
As LDood stated, lets keep it civil, and lets be mature and not let our emotions get out of hand.

Never is the opportunity available to make a second first impression.

Be cool, go hang in the Moose Lodge for a bit, get comfy and when your ready come out and play nice with everyone.

The following 4 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Ld00d, luna, moondogg
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:56 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 153 thanks
Received: 133 thanks
Bike(s): KHS ST Team, Raleigh XXIX
LDood: "Hey everyone: let's keep this civil, and watch out how you address the horse riders. You can do more harm by attacking them here -- I know from experience via a misunderstood sig line."

"Get ready for the chocolate pain bitch!" :lol:

That guy was so ignorant and trolling for a fight I almost wet myself when he went ballistic on you. What a tool that guy was.

Unrelated: Chicks on horses in tight jeans and cowboy hats are friggin' HOT.

http://www.ericpalmerendurancecoaching.blogspot.com

The following user would like to thank Zippy for his or her post:
Ld00d
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
All i know is when I see them Im gonna have a hard time suppressing the anger. Those photos confirm what I think I saw while blowing through tunnels the other day. Im there 3 days a week, and will keep and eye out.

Maybe we can fix those photos and put out a wanted poster?

Mad,,, Very Mad