It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDMBA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:53 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23370 thanks
Received: 17549 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Well, one good thing about all the ranting is it's indisputable evidence of passion. So I’m one of those long time Calavera guys Pete knows. Forty years of recreatin’ on them trails. If anyone's wondering where the fencing question by Kimba that awakened the slumbering sh*tstorm came from, it was me. I let some of my Calavera DT friends know about it.

Here's what I told them last Saturday:

"I saw a group of thirty folks walking along led by folks in Carlsbad shirts. Didn't know it was a National Public Lands Day event. Anyhow, they stopped at the orange fencing below the parking and a guy started talking, so I moseyed down to listen. The City guy, named Jansen, explained that they had just given Scott Fence a contract, to be complete by end of November. Two parts. 1) Replace the orange fencing around reveg areas with lodgepole, as residents complained it looked like a construction site, and put lodgepole along the curb side to direct people to the access paths 2) Put in two miles of three-wire fence to block off unauthorized trails. He mentioned user conflicts with the nature preservation mission and trails program. He fairly stated that bikers wanted to keep access to trails they've been using for decades. He said the idea is to put up the wire fencing for about three years while an area regrows, then take it down."

There were two CNLM shirts present (Markus was one) and a couple of Carlsbad shirts (Erik MM was one). I don't know who Jansen is and can't find him on a City website. He had a different blue polo shirt on, but I recall was introduced as "from the City".

Keep in mind there are (mainly) two distinct areas and management we're concerned about - the City/CNLM area, and the DFG area. They are completely different beasts. North County mtn bikers and SDMBA have a good relationship with CNLM going at La Costa, and I hope we can do the same here on the City chunk. But it's true the land use history and existing trails situation here is completely different.

As far as I know, no one (except possibly Italo) really has a decent “official” relationship with DFG around here, and the slim chance we had to develop one at Calavera was torpedoed by Erik (in my opinion). Sadly, DFG's regulations allow the possibility for kids to blast shotguns but not to ride bicycles. You can look it up. So there is no hope for "legal" mtb trails on DFG land unless their regs are changed. The best we can hope for is turning a blind eye, due to tacit inability to enforce (which could change).

I don’t know of any plans to build new houses and roads within Calavera protected areas, other than the Cannon connector road, which has been bitterly fought by environmentalists to a standstill. Though still on the books, I don’t think it will happen. But if there are real plans, please let us know. The City had no problem giving up a huge chunk of the “protected” land for a new high school, so enough developer dollars to the right folks certainly could mean more houses.

I’m glad SDMBA, even without a volunteer liasion, got involved with CNLM and the City a few years ago at crisis time. There are two excellent trails that might not have been legitimized otherwise. And I know SDMBA has tried to find an effective liasion. How do I know? Because they asked me to do it a few years ago. I really wanted to do it, but I also knew I could not do the job justice because of family, work & health (look what happened to the SDMBA volunteer liasion at LPQ a couple of years ago when he missed an important meeting. Pretty much crucified on the internet). I still couldn’t adequately fulfill a liasion role, probably even less so currently. But I’m not going to criticize any of you who gives it a good try. What I can commit to is support you by showing up for important meetings (can’t do it if I don’t know about them via newsletter or internet) and trail work. And talking to people about the issues.

Sometimes these discussions seem all heat and no light, and sarcasm and satire are sometimes misinterpreted as hating, but the passionate discussion is a good thing if it leads to some effective advocacy.

The following 14 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
24v, badkittyjing, Canaan, chuckanado, jSatch, Kimba, moondogg, mtb wannabe, OhNooo, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, rodster, Sasqwatch
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:18 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
OldDogDan wrote:
I’m glad SDMBA, even without a volunteer liasion, got involved with CNLM and the City a few years ago at crisis time. There are two excellent trails that might not have been legitimized otherwise. And I know SDMBA has tried to find an effective liasion. How do I know? Because they asked me to do it a few years ago. I really wanted to do it, but I also knew I could not do the job justice because of family, work & health (look what happened to the SDMBA volunteer liasion at LPQ a couple of years ago when he missed an important meeting. Pretty much crucified on the internet). I still couldn’t adequately fulfill a liasion role, probably even less so currently. But I’m not going to criticize any of you who gives it a good try. What I can commit to is support you by showing up for important meetings (can’t do it if I don’t know about them via newsletter or internet) and trail work. And talking to people about the issues.

Sometimes these discussions seem all heat and no light, and sarcasm and satire are sometimes misinterpreted as hating, but the passionate discussion is a good thing if it leads to some effective advocacy.

thanks for the insight ODD definately gives some of us that dont know a little info into the area. As far as a SDMBA liason goes, I dont believe there is any actual thing that you would have to fulfill or that it even has to be SDMBA associated. Anyone can just be a concerned citizen. Look at Phil and mission trails. As an individual he has been attending the CAC meetings being a thorn in their sides regarding MTB issues for a year or two now. He was there as a guy that gave a shit about his backyard with no SDMBA affiliation. You said you have buddies that ride there, tag team it. You miss 100% of the shots you dont take, any amount of work no matter how small can make a difference.

I dont want to call anyone out but I also dont want to see the topic just wither and die only to be revived when shit goes south over there. Moondogg has tossed up some info and phone numbers for someone to maybe get some answers. Like was said, if Erik is doing things to negatively effect our riding areas, lets pull together and undo the damage, make the land managers aware of our concerns for the area and aware that Erik doesnt represent the riding community.

So IMO the drama has left the building and this is the point where SOMEONE who rides there or a few people that ride there have the opportunity to step up and hopefully change whats going down. There are people with experience in this stuff that read these forums or are only an email away, so your not shooting in the dark here.

:cheers:

The following 3 users would like to thank Los for his or her post:
Ray Dolor, Robo, rodster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:34 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5024 thanks
Received: 5057 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Dan, thanks for your post and insight. Matt, thanks for the response. I think it has cleared up some misunderstandings. I will make some calls and see what I can find out about the situation regarding the fencing. As for dfg, I'm putting on my list to get in touch with Wong maybe take him out to lunch or something.

-Big Clyde

The following 6 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Los, moondogg, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Robo, rodster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:09 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5024 thanks
Received: 5057 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Attached is a fencing map I received from the City. It shows that the new fencing is mostly perimeter and will affect Adobe (Fred's) trial, and the entrances from the east. What is most interesting is there is fencing to be put in the DFG parcel, by the "pad," creek crossing, and other areas. Edit: (The pdf I received was too huge to post so I had to scan it then post, but then that was a pdf - doh. So take my word for it or contact the City for a copy).

-Big Clyde

The following 2 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Kimba, I formatted the fencing plan you sent me via e-mail so it can be posted.

The following 2 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Kimba, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
They have a forum now on their site. Lots of ways to keep open communication now. Hopefully this will help further everyone's cause. Use it, don't use it. At least one finally exists. Now they have an outlet so everyone can see what they are up to.

http://www.sdmba.com/

The forum tab is at the top of the page.

The following 6 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
b5driver, jSatch, mealsonwheels, OhNooo, OldDogDan, random walk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Well, great news. It's been several years since the old board was taken down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:12 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
in my stumbling around the sdmba site i happened upon this thread under advocacy posted by robo, which includes calavera

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... ck-trails/

so if you ride calavera, or just would like to see less san diego trails lost, here is your chance to say how 'very satisfied' to 'very dissatisfied' you are with the lake calavera trails new fencing project.

as it is a public survey, the data may just raise some city/politico eyebrows that all is not well in camelot.

Last edited by jSatch on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Los
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Received: 252 thanks
Bike(s): Chumba XCL, Tassajara
Favorite Trails: La Costa
Nice, you get a 50 character limit for recommending improvements.

Looks like the old ladies are out in force on this survey too, based on the results. I added my 2 cents at least.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

thanks paul.

the next person who fills out the survey, could you please post the web address of the survey results page? not sure how else to get there and can't fill out the survey again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:51 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10582 thanks
Received: 7558 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Yep. the link didn't work for me and couldn't find it poking around the web site either

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:57 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Dirtrider wrote:
Yep. the link didn't work for me and couldn't find it poking around the web site either

yup, not intuitive.

try this:
To take the trail survey, go to www.carlsbadca.gov/parksandrec. Click on the link Feedback, then Trail Survey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Received: 252 thanks
Bike(s): Chumba XCL, Tassajara
Favorite Trails: La Costa
jSatch wrote:
Dirtrider wrote:

yup, not intuitive.

try this:
To take the trail survey, go to http://www.carlsbadca.gov/parksandrec. Click on the link Feedback, then Trail Survey.

That's what I did, the original survey link above is unique and won't work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

PaulChavez wrote:
jSatch wrote:
Dirtrider wrote:

yup, not intuitive.

try this:
To take the trail survey, go to http://www.carlsbadca.gov/parksandrec. Click on the link Feedback, then Trail Survey.

That's what I did, the original survey link above is unique and won't work.

okay, thanks. i removed it from the post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:52 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 109 thanks
Received: 108 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Fuel Ex8
Favorite Trails: Mission Trails/Sycamore
Kimba wrote:
Dan, thanks for your post and insight. Matt, thanks for the response. I think it has cleared up some misunderstandings. I will make some calls and see what I can find out about the situation regarding the fencing. As for dfg, I'm putting on my list to get in touch with Wong maybe take him out to lunch or something.

My understanding is that DF&G is interested in COOPERATING with MTBers in coming up with a trail plan in the Calaveras Preserve. Is such a plan a high enough priority to actually happen in the near future? I don't know. But by all means contact Mr. Wong.

Will such a trail plan feature a trail every fifty feet? I somehow doubt it.

(Still planning on looking at that fencing document.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next