PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 10 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal Meta5.5
Favorite Trails: Drier ones than in England
Hey treaders

I have to go to San Francisco in early June and am planning on taking the wife and kiddo and extending the trip. Thinking of a few days in wine country to keep the missus happy, and then a few days nearby for some biking and hiking. I do not know the area at all so I'm looking for ideas on cool places to bike, hike and stay, in the coastal region just north of San Fran.

I've obviously heard of Marin County, but where are the trails? Any must-do rides up in that area (anywhere within a couple of hours of the city/bay)?

Are there any cool little towns or state parks etc to stay in? We'll be doing some city time so probably looking to chill out somewhere remote by this point.

Thanks!

The following user would like to thank English Mark for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17284 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I recommend Soquel Demo Forest, near Santa Cruz. That is a few hours south of SF, not north as you requested. But it's great.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
I don't know the area either but it seems like a pilgrimage to Mt. Tam wouldn't be a bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:32 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1848 thanks
Received: 2498 thanks
Favorite Trails: 3
If you are in SF area, you can hit up Skeggs.
It is full of redwood trees and lots of fun trails, but there is a speed limit of 15mph and sometimes a ranger will radar you and give you a $240 ticket if you ride too fast. Also, don't ride there after sunset, you will get a ticket.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/california-trails/california-bayarea/trail/el-corte-de-madera/prd_165253_4519crx.aspx

Jaquin Millar Park in Oakland is a really fun place too that you can ride. Lots of redwood trees, an awesome view of the bay.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/california-trails/california-bayarea/trail/joaquin-miller/prd_165279_4519crx.aspx

If you are in the East Bay, you can ride Mt. Diablo and the foothills, but that is a very large area and finding the single track will be hard if you're not from the area.

One thing to definitely lookout for is poison oak. Many areas have a lot of poison oak, and I mean a lot.
Also, check out MTBR for more trails depending on where in the bay area you are staying. Bay area is very large, and I mainly know the trails in East Bay.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/california-trails/california-bayarea/pls_4519_912crx.aspx

Have fun!

The following user would like to thank abzillah for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:26 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 8 thanks
Received: 61 thanks
Bike(s): All types
Favorite Trails: Yours
+1 for Skeggs. I grew up riding there. UCSC trails are awesome too.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:50 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 292 thanks
Received: 190 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign 1, K2 Base 3.0
Favorite Trails: Calaveras; Sandy ridge, OR.
The Russian river brewery will be up in your neck of the woods as well! Not a trail, but a fun ride nonetheless!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2887 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 4 Life
Favorite Trails: Anything with minimal climbing
Mark, if you're tight on time and schedule, SC or anywhere south of SF is going to be a time suck just to get to and back. If you're in Marin and can't get too far away, check these following suggestions:

1. In Fairfax -Camp Tamarancho (boys scout). It's a pay-to-ride spot but it's also the only place you could legally ride sweet singletracks without prosecution. You must check out the new Flow Trail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeoHXDyeU8. Nearby, check out Marin Brewery in Larkspur. Lots of bike stuff in the pub.

2. Skip Mt. Tam unless a) you can find a local shredder to show you and shuttle the poach trail starting across the watch tower connecting to Tamarancho. It's a logistic maze I couldn't even trace right now if you ask me to try. B) You like fireroad, then Repack but watch your speed on the speed traps (ie. they use radar guns).

3) China Camp State Park is an easy getaway right in the heart of San Rafael with good views of the Bay.

4) Further north just outside of Wine Country, you must hit Annadel State Park in Santa Rosa. It's a gem. This used to be my stomping and training grounds back in College.

Hikes, remote places:
I've always had fun exploring Point Reyes National Seashore and right above it Tomales Bay State Park. Tomales Bay is an actual fault line. On your way to the Wine Country, detour northwards via Calistoga Road from Hwy 12. Check out the Petrified Forest before heading into the town of Calistoga and check out the Geyser in Calistoga. Driving around the backroads alone is worth any detour around here.

The following user would like to thank ozzer for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:11 pm 
Josemite Sam
Josemite Sam

Given: 9 thanks
Received: 189 thanks
Favorite Trails: Spring Canyon, Penasquitos
I second China Camp. did it a couple of years ago. Awesome views.