All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:43 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1973 thanks
Received: 1352 thanks
Bike(s): Mojo HD140, Niner One
Favorite Trails: Sierra High Route
I am gonna start the new commute tonight at 6:15PM.

Work across from TP golf course. Will start at Science Park Rd and wind my way down past Johnson & Johnson (JJ) .....hope the "trail" down to Flintkote is doable :D According to Kreechan it is.

Will pick up the PQ Canyon by the Adobe (just past where NOTB will be re-locating), cross at Wagonwheel, and head to Poway.

Anybody else out there? Trying out the Baja Stryker for the first time as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:09 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
That should some commute, any idea of milage?
Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:30 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1116 thanks
Received: 723 thanks
Bike(s): Nimble 9
Favorite Trails: all of them
sierragoldens wrote:
... wind my way down past Johnson & Johnson (JJ) .....hope the "trail" down to Flintkote is doable :D According to Kreechan it is.

Well, I never rode down - only hiked my bike up. Most should be rideable (you may have to lower your seat though ;)

Wish I still lived in out there. If you do this regularly I could join you on the way out until about Black Mountain Rd maybe twice per week. Would then turn it into a regular LPQ ride.

The following user would like to thank kreechan for his or her post:
sierragoldens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:33 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

The commute is not so bad Jose.

Usually takes 65 - 70 minutes.......about 14-16 miles depending on route.

Goes pretty quick at night because I dont want to get eaten :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:20 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

kreechan wrote:
Well, I never rode down - only hiked my bike up. Most should be rideable (you may have to lower your seat though ;)

Wish I still lived in out there. If you do this regularly I could join you on the way out until about Black Mountain Rd maybe twice per week

I spent half an hour trying to find the entrance to the trail at JJ.....it is very obvious (during daylight), but at night I totally could not find it and was wandering all over the JJ campus looking for it. So very frustrated I had to just go for it, and bushwhacked/rode down on another faint trail a lot further to the west that finally merged with the "real" trail above the iceplant section.....wasted 45 minutes to an hour :domo:

Spooked a huge doe...amazing....I am trying to figure out what wildlife corridor would be available for that large a animal to get past all the urban mess and up by JJ.

I will be doing this ride once a week. Join me next time.....night provides some very fun options for riding in PQ.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:57 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
I used to work in the same science park abour 12 years ago, and did that commute weekly. My route was:

1) Stay on top of the mesa. Ride through UCSD campus to get to the Voight Drive bridge over the 5 fwy.
2) Follow Voight to Campus pt, turn left
3) Right onto Genesee
4) Left at Eastgate Mall. Stay on the sidwalk against traffic on Eastgate as you will..
5) Dive down the fire road just behind the condos at the corner of Estgate and Genesee. This will dump you out onto Roselle street down in the bottom of the Sorrento valley business park.
6) Negotiate the train crossing to get to the PQ trailhead

From there on, you know the rest. The fire road is easily ridable both directions and makes a pretty good commute with the minimal amount of surface streets.

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
sierragoldens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:25 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

OhNooo wrote:
1) Stay on top of the mesa. Ride through UCSD campus to get to the Voight Drive bridge over the 5 fwy.
3) Right onto Genesee
4) Left at Eastgate Mall. Stay on the sidwalk against traffic on Eastgate as you will..

Thanks for the tip!....I was thinking about the above route while HAB'ing up to JJ.....there are some sweet ST dirt trails on the UCSD campus and a way to link those would really make for a cool commute. Those trails linkable right (not sure how)?

OhNooo wrote:
5) Dive down the fire road just behind the condos at the corner of Estgate and Genesee. This will dump you out onto Roselle street down in the bottom of the Sorrento valley business park.

That was my latest commute route.....the drop down the fire road behind the condos is where I chased a coyote at 25 mph for almost 100 yards this September :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:45 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
OhNooo wrote:
I used to work in the same science park abour 12 years ago, and did that commute weekly. My route was:

3) Right onto Genesee

From there on, you know the rest. The fire road is easily ridable both directions and makes a pretty good commute with the minimal amount of surface streets.

if you cross to the north side of genessee as you cross over the 5 heading east, you can hang a left inot the parking lots right there and skip the eastgate pavement part. check it out on google, there is a steep fr that connects to the original eastgate fr 1/2 way down. PM me if you need more details

The following user would like to thank jjthewhale for his or her post:
sierragoldens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:24 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
If you want to drop one of the hairier descents in the area, go to the northern end of Campus Point Dr, through the parking lot and find the singletrack that I call the "Coaster Trail" that winds up in a parking lot off Roselle. Starts off innocent enough, but winds down a razor ridgeline in the middle portion as steep as Bell Ridge stuff. If you can clean it with no dabs, you get DTer of the Day Award. :bang:

The following user would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
sierragoldens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:31 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Hi Robo,

I've never seen that trail before. It looks like it could be a fun ridgeline challenge:

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
sierragoldens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:00 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

THANKS guys!

Spy'd the "Coaster Trail"! That is the one that is visible from the 805 by-pass, an alternative but yikes...it is steep and I do have an obligation to not kill myself and show up to work in one piece....ROBO!!!!! :lol:

Have ridden past the connectors to the sewer access road (Eastgate Mall to Roselle St).

I will play and explore, but I still need better "up" options.

The JJ trail that drops to Flintkote is nice.....very direct but steep....rideable down, but rideable up only in the middle.....disappointingly short. Rolling over to UCSD, across the 5 and down by Campus Pt sounds cool......paging Kreechan!!!!!?.

The following user would like to thank sierragoldens for his or her post:
Robo