It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What happened
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
DWill wrote:
So, I found my car. My bike was in the back of my car.
I guess I put it there but I have no memory of that at all.

I guess I also talked to a ranger though I have no memory of that either, but I do have a late parking violation warning thing sitting on the fron passenger seat of my car... no idea...

This is what I can put together (sorry for any typos) from chatting with my GF and from what I can remember.

I know that I was riding the bottom of Spring and my plan was to ride to where the wires cross the trail and then go back to the car.

I vaguely remember getting there and looking at the time of day on my GPS and I think I remember it said 6:08. I kinda remember saying to myself that I have to haul ass to get back to the car in time to get my stuff on the car and get out there.

The next thing I remember is it's like 1AM I'm in the Sharp ER and my GF is sitting there next to me.

I have no idea where I fell, or how far I rode after I fell. I'm trying to piece the ride together from what I've my GF knows and from my GPS info.

What I do know is that at about 8:00PM I sent a text message to my GF saying "call me I have a problem". Luckily she called me right away. From what she tells me all I said over and over and over was "I don't know where I am and I can't get out".

So she get on another phone and calls 911 they tell her to keep me on the phone and they will find my cell phone. I'd told her around 3:30 when I left to go ride I was going riding in Spring Canyon but not which trail head I was using.

I have a voice message on my cell phone from the 911 operator from about 8:20 saying "you need to stop driving around so we can find your phone" I must have hung up or something at some point.

About 9PM the police called my GF (I first thought it was the Sheriff) and told her they found me and the paramedics were on the way. The medics called her at about 9:15 and said they were taking me to Sharp ER.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Next thing I can actually remember myself is I'm in the ER it's like 1:00 - 1:30 in the morning. I look over and my GF is there and I say... what the hell...

So now I have my car and my bike home. I look at my bike there is not a scrath on it except the right pedal is dinged pretty badly and the righ grip has a gouge in it and the clamp is scrathed and dinged.

My helment however is crushed in right behind and above the right ear area, this conincides with a big lump I have above and behind my right ear.

I also have a big lump and above and below my right eye, yep it's going to be a nice shinner... and theres damage to the front right corner of my helment as well.

My right arm and leg and are "road rashed" and there a huge contusion on my right elbow. My the back side of my shoulder is pretty beat up as well.

It doesn't look like I went OTB, it looks more like I may have done something like slid down on my right side or top sided over on my right side maybe.... don't know...

TO BE CONTINUED...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
I guess the important question is.... How is the bike?

The following user would like to thank Los for his or her post:
PacMan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Los wrote:
I guess the important question is.... How is the bike?

Exactly.... Other than a bit of a dinged up right pedal and a gouge in the right grip there's not a scratch on it that I can find...

I'm about to look at the GPS data maybe I can figure something out from there...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:15 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2958 thanks
Received: 769 thanks
Bike(s): Rune
Favorite Trails: I like trails
Wow dude, heal up and stay safe out there. Head injuries are no bueno. I pile drived myself head first last weekend on a big double and wasn't able to see clearly for about ten or fifteen minutes. I had a splitting headache for the rest of the day, and as of today, I don't remember anything from about an 30 min to an hour before the crash. The first thing I remember is struggling to get my helmet off while laying on the ground feeling drunk.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:51 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 420 thanks
Received: 898 thanks
Bike(s): 2011 Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: The ones you didn't help with.
DWill wrote:
I'm about to look at the GPS data maybe I can figure something out from there...

Check out our speed and see where it comes to a stop.
Let us know where and we'll go out and take pics of the dirt for ya!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

kevmortensen wrote:
DWill wrote:

Check out our speed and see where it comes to a stop.
Let us know where and we'll go out and take pics of the dirt for ya!

So, I took a quick look at the file. I haven't actually run it to see where it stops.
The car was at horse poop... errrr the Mast trail head...

But you can see where I left the car went up Spring then came back down.

Went straight, meaning didn't turn to go back to Mast. Wandered around in circles by the kiosk near the camp ground trail head parking, the rode out to the road (the one by the dam) wandered around in circles. Rode back the kiosk, more circles.

Then I must have stopped the GPS for some reason, or somebody found me and took me back to the car maybe..... don't know.

But the GPS track starts at mast goes up and down Spring, then ends over by that Kiosk... after a few circles...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:25 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1313 thanks
Received: 2401 thanks
Favorite Trails: cactus to clouds
:shock: Sorry to hear that man! Something like that happend to my dad in the mid 90's. he road to work every day and one day had a seizure on the side of the road. woke up in the hospital with no clue about what happend. scary shit. Thanks for posting this too, gives us solo riders a reminder to tell someone where we're going. i hope you have a speedy recovery, and your injurys are nothing major. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:19 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 851 thanks
Received: 650 thanks
Bike(s): Trance X1, Giant STP, Foes Fly
Favorite Trails: La Costa, Idyllwild
sounds like you may have clipped a pedal on a rock, it can catch you off guard and you're on the ground before you realize what happened [youtube]mNhjSXRe_M4&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Hope you heal up quick :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:34 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Scarbery Rdr wrote:
sounds like you may have clipped a pedal on a rock, it can catch you off guard and you're on the ground before you realize what happened [youtube]mNhjSXRe_M4&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Hope you heal up quick :cheers:

That's what I'm thinking. There were no marks on my pedals befor yesterday.
Now the right pedal is really dinged. There's no doubt it hit a rock.

So I also had motion x gps runing on my iPhone.
The track recording from that shows me eventually getting back to Mast.

Where I ride many, many circles around one the little islands in the parking lot.

It's kinda comical to look at except my heads still killing me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Exactly. Dinged pedal = pedal strike at speed = catapult! Happened to me -- I hit the ground so fast & hard there was no sensation of flying through the air at all. Didn't know what hit me until I got up, looked at the pedal and walked back up the trail. Broken wrist though.

Sorry you had occasion to provide such a great story. Like others said about head injuries -- be careful -- I hope there are no lasting effects.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:52 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
That is scary stuff, especially if you were actually driving around as 911 thought you might have been.

I had a bad concussion back when I was in school, out riding on campus with friends. Apparently someones dog came out of nowhere in front of me and I crashed trying to avoid it, landing head first. I was out cold for 30 sec or so and kept asking the guys what happened. They would tell me, then I'd ask it again. I vaguely remember talking to paramedics and the bumps while being wheeled on a stretcher. I remember nothing else of the next few hours, til I "came to" and recall the nurse asking me over and over what happened. Finally I guess I gave the right answer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

evdog wrote:
That is scary stuff, especially if you were actually driving around as 911 thought you might have been.

I had a bad concussion back when I was in school, out riding on campus with friends. Apparently someones dog came out of nowhere in front of me and I crashed trying to avoid it, landing head first. I was out cold for 30 sec or so and kept asking the guys what happened. They would tell me, then I'd ask it again. I vaguely remember talking to paramedics and the bumps while being wheeled on a stretcher. I remember nothing else of the next few hours, til I "came to" and recall the nurse asking me over and over what happened. Finally I guess I gave the right answer.

Yeah, I'm told I was askin the questions over and over.

What really shook me up was looking at the GPS track. I was just wandering all over the place on my bike.

After looking at the track from my iPhone I'm now not convinced I was driving. There's only one track line leading away from my car and not one going back.
But when I questioned my GF again tonight she said I told her I was driving and there is blood on the center console wher I would have leaned my arm.

It's actually kinda scary looking at the track. How I ended up back at the trail head and not just somewhere out in MTRP who knows.

The following user would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:17 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1226 thanks
Received: 854 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Faith. Strider
Favorite Trails: noble, san juan
God bless!! heal up! Glad you had the sense to call for help. Any new news on your injury?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 86 thanks
Received: 71 thanks
Bike(s): Mission
Favorite Trails: Singletrack
I wonder if any of the rangers knows more about what happened, or if there was a way to get in contact with the medics to fill in some of what is missing? Pretty crazy! Hope you get well soon!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:42 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 26 thanks
Received: 40 thanks
Bike(s): GT Avalanche 2.0
Favorite Trails: Mission Trails; Sycamore
I think you probably ate it harrrrd somewhere, got up to resume your regular riding however during the duration from post wreck to trying to get out of the place, you were out of it due to sustaining an injury from the wreck. Which then led to not remembering what happened. Hope for a healthy safe recovery.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next