It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:36 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 14 thanks
Bike(s): Haro X6
Favorite Trails: Anywhere in San Diego Co.
craptasticyler wrote:
Not sure if you guys know about these or not, but a coworker says they are awesome. She and her daughter have used them in the past and they stand up to baths, pools and ocean use.

http://www.xerosox.com/

sweet find! I'll be checking that out.

Got scheduled for surgery on 5/20/10, hopefully things go smoothly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 457 thanks
Favorite Trails: .
What are they going to do? Just pin you back together or do you need a bone graft too?

Oh and was that you crossing garden road last week or so? Some guy on Mt bike saw my cast as I was turning and gave me the "i think I know who you are" look

Surgery wasn't too bad, zero pain the day of (nerve block down at wrist) and the percocet made it totally fine the next day. Nurse was funny - she like MAKE SURE he takes his med before bed, even if it doesnt hurt. I did wake up at like 3 or 4 am that night from the pain - but it wasn't anything ridiculous. Day three I was back to plain old tyleneol during the day and perc to sleep at night, damn percocet made me so itchy it wasn't worth it!

oh and the xerosox is cool, can shower more or less normally with it now - but u won't want to use it till after you get the real cast on though. It's tight / stretchy latex and would probably hurt too much to put on if you still have the big bandage thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

random info here - just checked insurance to make sure eveything is billing correctly, bills are still rolling in apparently (surgery just came in) but darn insurance is very nice to have!

Service Provider Status Submitted Charges, Paid by Plan, Member Responsibility

SCRIPPS CLINIC ASC IN PROCESS $9,263.88 * * Surgery

HAMER PAID $191.00, $132.96, $30.00 bandage & stitch removal, cast
HENDRICKS PAID $1,360.00, $1,139.84, $0.00 anesthesiologist
HUGHES PAID $660.00, $573.49, $0.00 CT scan
HAMER PAID $125.00, $95.00, $30.00 mri follow up
HUGHES PAID $1,275.00, $1,154.72, $0.00 mri
WU PAID $79.00, $69.35, $0.00 xray
HAMER PAID $351.00, $224.03, $30.00 othro consult
DJO LLC PAID $66.19, $35.31, $0.00 splint
GEARY PAID $125.00, $105.00, $20.00 PC referal

Last edited by craptasticyler on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank craptasticyler for his or her post:
just-rydn
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:51 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 781 thanks
Received: 783 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot Firebird, Highline
Favorite Trails: All
The big ding I got was the cost of the surgical pins; my insurance coverage on medical supplies is 60/40, my out of pocket was $925.

Just a little advice, keep good records, I found a few over charges and double charges.

The following 2 users would like to thank TCB for his or her post:
craptasticyler, just-rydn
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:11 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

WTF thats like getting free tires and then paying $900 for valve stems lol.

I think I could get screwed on my bone stimulator, I went ahead and got it before the insurance authorization was done. I only have a $3500 dollar durable goods limit and I've seen figures as high as 4500 for the exogen 4000 that I got.

Whatever, as long as I eventually heal!!

The following user would like to thank craptasticyler for his or her post:
just-rydn
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:33 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

I would recommend calling the company that supplied your bone stimulator, I went through Biomet for my bone stimulator and they made sure it was 100% covered by my insurance carer.

The following user would like to thank TCB for his or her post:
just-rydn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:07 am 
Participant
Participant

craptasticyler wrote:
What are they going to do? Just pin you back together or do you need a bone graft too?

I think they'll determine the op after my MRI this Saturday. Then I got a MRI review and pre-0p appt two weeks after on the 5/14 then under the knife or saw on 5/20. The surgeon said mostly likely a pin or screw, but that all depends on how the MRI looks.

craptasticyler wrote:
Oh and was that you crossing garden road last week or so? Some guy on Mt bike saw my cast as I was turning and gave me the "i think I know who you are" look.

Nah, I was out and about but I haven't been on my bike for awhile now.

craptasticyler wrote:
Surgery wasn't too bad, zero pain the day of (nerve block down at wrist) and the percocet made it totally fine the next day. Nurse was funny - she like MAKE SURE he takes his med before bed, even if it doesnt hurt. I did wake up at like 3 or 4 am that night from the pain - but it wasn't anything ridiculous. Day three I was back to plain old tyleneol during the day and perc to sleep at night, damn percocet made me so itchy it wasn't worth it!

Are you now up and moving about? I sure do remember the pain, I had ACL reconstruction years ago and got two screws in my leg.

craptasticyler wrote:
oh and the xerosox is cool, can shower more or less normally with it now - but u won't want to use it till after you get the real cast on though. It's tight / stretchy latex and would probably hurt too much to put on if you still have the big bandage thing.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The honey do's list will now become honey can't list :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:15 am 
Participant
Participant

TCB wrote:
I would recommend calling the company that supplied your bone stimulator, I went through Biomet for my bone stimulator and they made sure it was 100% covered by my insurance carer.

How's your recovery coming along?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:04 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

just-rydn wrote:
I think they'll determine the op after my MRI this Saturday. Then I got a MRI review and pre-0p appt two weeks after on the 5/14 then under the knife or saw on 5/20. The surgeon said mostly likely a pin or screw, but that all depends on how the MRI looks.

Are you now up and moving about? I sure do remember the pain, I had ACL reconstruction years ago and got two screws in my leg.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The honey do's list will now become honey can't list :thumbsup:

I dunno - maybe I'm not a good example but I was up and around the next day. I had the week off work becasue the kids were out of school, so the day after surgery (Tuesday) they were bored so we walked up to the 7-11 on the corner. I wasn't paying attention and some time around 1-2 pm the percocet TOTALLY wore off, that was VERY uncomfortable but I was actually kind of laughing about it with my son saying how dumb I was so it wasn't crippling pain. Wednesday my youngest had a doc appointment so I just took some regular over the countr tyleneol so I could drive her there and was fine with that. Then again I also went biking 4 or 5 days after a vasectomy so I do some dumb things sometims :lol:

My scaphoid was actually so broken up / collapsed he couldnt use any HW to put me back together - the bone fragments were too small to even get a pin into, so I just had a vascular graft and stuffed it all back together. Maybe that made it less painful?

Doc's comment were something like "well we did what we could, we'll hope for the best". I didn't feel like asking what that translates into for odds of success but I'd wager it's a lot lower the the 50-50 he gave me assuming he could screw or pin the graft into place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:39 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

just-rydn wrote:
TCB wrote:

How's your recovery coming along?

Not well, I had another CT scan last week and it showed vary little progress, I will know in two months if I need a third operation.

The following user would like to thank TCB for his or her post:
just-rydn
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:13 pm 
Participant
Participant

geez Just had my MRI today...sucked! The nurse was nice, that was the best part. But having to balance myself on this skinny ass plank with my arm crammed into a vise and holding still while trying not to go mad from the sounds of the MRI sucked.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

just-rydn wrote:
geez Just had my MRI today...sucked! The nurse was nice, that was the best part. But having to balance myself on this skinny ass plank with my arm crammed into a vise and holding still while trying not to go mad from the sounds of the MRI sucked.

Yeah they kinda suck dont they! I've had two, and both times my nose started to itch 1/2 way through. Head MRI's WAY worse since they stuff you in head first and takes a lot longer. The noises are very pac-man ish aren't they - wacka wacka wacka

@TCB - so you've been in a cast for around a year now??? God I hope mine goes quicker than that - I'm already driving my kids nuts complaining. Was playing Queen "I Want To Ride My Bicycle" to amuse my son this morning.

Good luck, maybe your healing will take off soon, sounds like there has been "some" progress right?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

1 Month update, still not healed. Graft looks good, doc said alignment looks perfect. Just have to see if any healing actually happens.

New cast - with an extra 3/4 inch of finger wiggling room :-)
Attachment:
IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0167.jpg [ 38.09 KiB | Viewed 12696 times ]

Can see where the graft came from, fuzzy pic but the xray still shows clear edges around the graft (ie not healed)
Attachment:
IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg [ 30.1 KiB | Viewed 12696 times ]

Scar isn't going to be that bad
Attachment:
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg [ 71.58 KiB | Viewed 12696 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:31 am 
Participant
Participant

Alright...T-Minus 24:00 Hrs. before going under the knife and drill. I have surgery scheduled for tomorrow. Here is how the next 24 hrs will go for me.

05/19
11:30am-4:00pm: Finishing out the work day with 1.5 hands
4:05pm-6:30pm: picking up kids from daycare and dropping off at g'ma house.
6:35pm-7:00pm: :domo: Eating a double wrapped, double fisted carne asada burrito w/5 rolled tacos on da side
12:00am: No eating after 12 midnight
05/20
7:00am: wake-up starving :crying:
9:30am: check-in at outpatient surgical center in Mission Valley
9:35am-10:58am: still starving
11:00am-1:00 pm: surgery
1:05pm-3:28pm: recovery
3:30pm: check-out
3:35pm: drugged up :bang: and on the way home.

By the schedule it looks like I won't be eating until later that evening. :crying:

But yeah, looks like i'll be getting pinned. There is blood flow in the bone, on both sides but just not growing together.

Hopefully recovery will be quick.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:08 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Good luck, I'm sure it'll go fine!

Hand up above head level helps with swelling big time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next