All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:41 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 7 thanks
Bike(s): Devinci Spartan
Favorite Trails: Noble
Trying to beat my good times on my morning ride on Cowles , went wide on my fastest section. Decided to try to ride out and bring it back in rather then fly into the bushes and hung on something. OTB and onto the back of my shoulder, must have had my arm out. Had to place my right arm on the bars with my left , which was the first sign of trouble. Xrays showed collar bone intact. Hurts like hell and i have done some damage over the years. If I warm it up I can raise it in front and to the side with some pain. I can move it fine with the other arm, thought it hurts in back. I'm thinking I tore the rotator over the back scapula (back). Need an MRI im sure, trying to get in to see a Orth.

Anyone else tear a rotator? Im thinking its a good sign that i can lift my arm byitself , possibly a partial tear?

The following user would like to thank lzpup for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:13 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I have not, but a good friend has had problems for years, and yes, it is a good sign you can raise it. Best of luck -- heal up fast.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9364 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
I tore something in my shoulder, and I couldn't go more than about 5 deg for at least a week or 2. My shoulder still isn't 100%.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 198 thanks
Favorite Trails: mdo
I tore my shoulder, got the MRI and the doc said surgery wasn't required. Did a few months of PT a couple of times a week, felt better but not 100% and I lost a lot of strength, it would hurt after lifting anything heavy. So I started doing the resistance band training to strengthen up the area. I was doing it 4+ times a week (only takes 10 min) for about 6 months and it made a huge difference. I still do the resistance band stuff a couple days a week. I finally feel like I'm back where I was before I was injured but it took over a year. Good luck.

The following user would like to thank Cory M for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:21 pm 
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the post, feeling a little hopeful, would like to avoid the surgery, appointment with doc tomorrow, then MRI i'm sure. Sounds like PT is the ticket, I'm ready to do everything i can to get back on the bike

OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:24 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
yes, tore rotator cuff and went through surgery. the surgery was the easy part. recovery takes the better part of a year.

the extent of the tear and how willing you are to deal with it as is will determine surgery or not. if only partial, phys therapy is all that's needed. but as per cory, even this takes time.

if surgery, the strategy goes like this: they tag the tendon back in place with a shiny titanium bit. nice! welcome to the titanium club. however this is insufficient to anchor the tendon back, just holds it in place until scarring can better and permanently anchor it. so they don't want you to lift your arm and fire the muscle of that tendon until the tendon is scarred back into place. in this instance, inflammation is good (i.e., no anti-inflammatories, e.g., ibuprofen) as it promotes scarring.

the problem is if you don't move your arm the joint it will freeze. so you need to move it with the other arm, and have the wifey try to stretch it past where it hurts to slowly increase and regain your range of motion. trust me, she will love this.

after a period of time where they think it is suitably scarred in place (3 months?), you get rubber bands in all the colors of the rainbow, and a fun little pulley toy, to try to regain strength and improve range of motion.

on the bright side, at least it is repairable and can get back to 100%, or close to it.

good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:15 pm 
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the replies , turns out it was a fracture in my Scapula. Guess I got a partial role in on the way down. All healed up now, shoulder opened up in about 2 weeks after.

OldDogDan