All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:03 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 20 thanks
Received: 55 thanks
Bike(s): 2011 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Favorite Trails: Sycamore, Daley Ranch
A year or two ago my friend told me he stopped riding that path due to it's proximity to the 56. I thought we was being overly dramatic (I have never ridden it). It looks like he is right in the end. A terrible tragedy for the family of the cyclist killed and I hope the second cyclist makes a full recovery.

Mike

"If we aren't willing to pay a price for our values, then we should ask ourselves whether we truly believe in them at all."
--Barrack H. Obama--

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 143 thanks
Received: 128 thanks
Favorite Trails: Non-flat.
RIP Nick Venuto. Thoughts to his family and Baron Herdelin-Doherty (and his family), the other cyclist still in the hospital fighting for his life.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/01/bicyclist-killed-was-a-poway-father-of-two/

A bicyclist who was killed Tuesday night when an out-of-control sport-utility vehicle careened into a bike path off state Route 56 in Rancho Peñasquitos was identified Wednesday by friends and family as Nick Venuto, 40, a married father of two from Poway.

Another bicyclist who was struck in the accident was identified Wednesday by the California Highway Patrol as Baron Herdelin-Doherty, 51, of Solana Beach. He was in critical condition Wednesday at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The driver of the Ford SUV, identified by the CHP as Sheena Saranita, 27, of San Diego, was in good condition at the hospital, the spokeswoman said. She suffered minor injuries, the CHP said.

Herdelin-Doherty was named CEO and president of YMCA of San Diego County in October. He is married and the father of a college-age son, said YMCA spokeswoman Kristie Spalding. He is a triathlete and avid bicyclist who cycled five to seven times a week, Spalding said.

The accident happened about 6:20 p.m. Tuesday off eastbound SR-56 just past the Camino del Sur exit, west of Black Mountain Road.

Saranita was driving eastbound at an estimated 65 to 80 mph when she began to change lanes. She saw a vehicle in the far-right lane, overreacted and steered the SUV hard to the right, the CHP said. The SUV traveled up a short grassy embankment, plowed through a chain-link fence and overturned on the elevated bike path.

As the SUV overturned, it struck Venuto and Herdelin-Doherty. Venuto was pronounced dead at the scene by San Diego Fire-Rescue Department paramedics.

Neither drugs nor alcohol were believed to be factors in the accident, CHP Officer Art Athans said Wednesday.

Herdelin-Doherty suffered broken hips, ribs and arms, Athans said. He and Venuto did not know each other, Athans said. Both were wearing helmets.

Venuto was a member of the San Diego Descenders bicycle club, which plans to organize a ride in his memory, said Jim Knight, a friend and member of the club. Venuto is survived by his wife, Deb, a 12-year-old son and a 7-year-old daughter.

Venuto was the corporate controller at Sapphire Energy, a bioenergy company in San Diego.

In a statement Wednesday night, the company said, “Nick Venuto was a highly valued employee as controller for Sapphire Energy. We all are deeply saddened by this sudden and tragic loss. Nick not only excelled in his contributions to help Sapphire grow, but he had an incredible passion and zest for life and was a loving father and husband. He already is greatly missed and our thoughts are with his family at this time.”

The following user would like to thank liverbomb88 for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:31 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 214 thanks
Received: 270 thanks
Bike(s): SC Hecker, Karate Monkey
Favorite Trails: LC,SC
Quote:
Saranita was driving eastbound at an estimated 65 to 80 mph when she began to change lanes. She saw a vehicle in the far-right lane, overreacted and steered the SUV hard to the right, the CHP said. The SUV traveled up a short grassy embankment, plowed through a chain-link fence and overturned on the elevated bike path.

That does not make sense to me. If the car was to her right side, why would she turn hard to the right? So sad. Considering I just took my road bike up the 101 on Sunday and almost got hit again, I'm starting to get pretty scared of taking that bitch back out on the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:26 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 10 thanks
Bike(s): ells, vassago
Favorite Trails: all of it
It seems like she was speeding and trying to pass on the right at a high rate of speed. I'm so over people flying up on the right and trying pass. in other country's it's a huge ticket for doing that cause it's super dangerous. Cops here don't seem to give a flying fuck. no big deal. standard socal freeway driving. this could have been the cause.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:00 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 20 thanks
Received: 30 thanks
Bike(s): Fuel Ex 8, Doublecross
Favorite Trails: Soquel Demo
We structure our entire society around these fucking machines, and then call it an accident when they kill someone. Disgusting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:49 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 614 thanks
Received: 1848 thanks
Bike(s): SX Trail, Carbine 275
Favorite Trails: PQ, ATT
Wow, we just had a retirement road ride for my buddy earlier that day, there were more than 20 riders in our group.

Prayers for his family.

My Favorite Trail is unknown to many, everybody here loves it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 143 thanks
Received: 128 thanks
Favorite Trails: Non-flat.
A Memorial Ride / Walk in honor of Nick has been planned for July 9th, 2011.

Gathering begins 8:30 am at San Diego’s Westview High School south parking lot.

Ride is 10.7 miles.
Walk is 2.6 miles.

http://nickvenuto.com/

The following user would like to thank liverbomb88 for his or her post:
Slowgrind
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5205 thanks
Received: 1036 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
SUV's are top heavy and unstable in such rapid high speed direction changes. I've seen a Ford Expedition roll over doing just what she tried to do. It was trying to pass a slower car by pulling onto the right shoulder,accelerated, and just lost it. The only one hurt in that accident was the Expedition driver. Incredibly stupid and reckless.

IMO, some kind of criminal charges should be pressed against the driver who killed this man. She has it coming. They should'nt let her get away scott-free with manslaughter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:25 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
random walk wrote:
Sympathies to the families & friends of the deceased & injured, first & foremost.

I hope the investigation accurately identifies the cause and justice is served.

badkittyjing wrote:
Geez... My other colleague's wife had a massive heart attack... passed away on Sat while they were sitting on the couch watching tv.

We got an e-mail over the weekend that a mother of students at our daughters' school died of a heart attack at home over the weekend...wonder if this is the one? Truly sad in any case. :(

small world. a buddy from my son's soccer team went to a funeral of a classmate's mother last saturday. same story.