All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:54 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 214 thanks
Received: 270 thanks
Bike(s): SC Hecker, Karate Monkey
Favorite Trails: LC,SC
Recently on a ride up the 101, I kept leap frogging an older rider. The only reason he would be able to catch me is due to the fact that he ran every single stop sign and red light. I'm talking no braking at all. Is this normal for most riders?

When I ride on the road, I always ride with the philosophy that I'm that little fish swimming among the sharks. So I always err on the side of caution. I was perplexed at the way that old wrinkly dude didn't give a damn about any traffic and nearly got hit a couple of times.

BTW, while descending down Torrey Pines at 35mph, I was passed by a bus going much faster and the subsequent burst of wind almost made me lost control. Is there a way to accommodate for the wind or just ride it out?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:06 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
I feel that I am a sitting duck at a stop sign and stop light. If I can roll it I do, that is after i slow down and check it out first. As for the wind, just deal with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:20 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 4775 thanks
Received: 2577 thanks
Bike(s): Steel.
Favorite Trails: Porcupine Rim , Sedona .
One day the will scrape that older guy of the pavement.
How stupid can you get.?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 143 thanks
Received: 128 thanks
Favorite Trails: Non-flat.
I'm with you. I'd rather be safe and also avoid any traffic tickets rather than worry about who is faster.

We have to be vigilant during rides for clueless/aggressive drivers, big trucks roaring by with only 1-2 feet of clearance (like on the 67 up to Ramona), and street sweepers.

The following 2 users would like to thank liverbomb88 for his or her post:
Christ D., ValE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 420 thanks
Received: 898 thanks
Bike(s): 2011 Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: The ones you didn't help with.
Depends on the scenario. I don't have a hard and fast rule to 'always' stop. I try to when it's safe, bu tnot always - thats the only time i've been pulled over is for running a stop sign.
You gotta remember riding up the 101 -regular rules don't apply more people are there to show off their pretty new race kit and cervelo than they are to actually ride. . . kinda why i like riding that route -fun to make a middle aged guy turn himself inside out on his full carbon 5K bike and pretty new spandex, while i'm in my mtb gear on my '06 specialized. . . good times

The following 3 users would like to thank kevmortensen for his or her post:
Canaan, psybike, ValE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:50 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
Most peolpe that ride the road regularly stop at the stop signs/ lights. there are exceptions, but don't forget you are responsible for following the rules of the road the same as a car. The 101 is out of control with wanabes that screw it up by blowing every stop. But be advised Del Mar and Oceanside are cracking down on stop running roadies. A lot of the local roadie sites are reporting tickets being handed out, in those two cities, and like I said before, bike riders are responsible for road laws, so the ticket is the same fine as if you were in your car.

--Desmond Tutu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:41 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 6166 thanks
Received: 6399 thanks
Bike(s): mango. pivot. chumba
Favorite Trails: san jaun. arizona trails
Sorry my brakes weren't working to good I don't normally pass people. As far as lights or the road it's safety first, and keep an eye out for cops.

The following user would like to thank tfitz for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:53 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 350 thanks
Received: 402 thanks
Bike(s): Big Wheel Yeti
Favorite Trails: Elfin, Cowles, San Juan
EMFC wrote:
I feel that I am a sitting duck at a stop sign and stop light. If I can roll it I do, that is after i slow down and check it out first. As for the wind, just deal with it.

Ditto

Christ D. wrote:
One day the will scrape that older guy of the pavement.
How stupid can you get.?

liverbomb88 wrote:
I'd rather be safe

Are you really safer though?

I have a friend who always and with out exception bitches to me if I run a light or even a stop sign. Years ago he was hit, half-way run over by a car while he was riding in the bike lane. He was following the rules and was almost killed.

As for me, I only ever depend on myself to keep myself safe any way, so I have a general disregard for traffic devices.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 137 thanks
Received: 99 thanks
Bike(s): SC Superlight/Van Dessel Cross
Favorite Trails: Lake Hodges so far...
everyone has their reasons for the way they ride...

I stop at all red lights unless it's a 3-way (light, get your mind outta the gutter) and I'm on the side that doesn't have a road... stop signs, I slow down to almost a stop unless there are cars, of course...

the other week I was stopped at a light on Pomerado when a guy in Adams Ave kit blew by me... about 30 seconds later San Diego's finest passed me and pulled over the man in black... by the amount of time it took the cop to pass me again, I'm assuming the guy got a ticket...

I've never felt unsafe at a stop, but I filter up to the front anyway... if people behind me have to wait, so be it... I do try to make space for the cars turning right though...

The following 2 users would like to thank fourflys for his or her post:
Canaan, ValE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:11 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 257 thanks
Received: 428 thanks
Bike(s): Douglas Fusion, Devinci Django
Favorite Trails: your mom*
i generally stop at every red light and stop sign. cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other road users, and it reflects poorly on us when people run stops. at the same time, i'm not going to stop if there's no one around to notice or care. if me and my bike do not trigger the sensors in the road, i won't wait for someone to trigger it for me. i will just go when i have the opportunity.

i know a great many of us feel a sense of entitlement for choosing the cleanest, most efficient, and healthiest form of transportation, and that we shouldn't have to come to a complete stop if traffic doesn't warrant it. utah has just adopted a rolling stop policy for bicyclists, and i hope other states will soon follow. huzzah for utah! i guess idaho has had this law for 20 years now?

The following 4 users would like to thank jabantik for his or her post:
Bolo, Canaan, EMFC, Kimba
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
jabantik wrote:
i generally stop at every red light and stop sign. cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other road users, and it reflects poorly on us when people run stops. at the same time, i'm not going to stop if there's no one around to notice or care. if me and my bike do not trigger the sensors in the road, i won't wait for someone to trigger it for me. i will just go when i have the opportunity.

i know a great many of us feel a sense of entitlement for choosing the cleanest, most efficient, and healthiest form of transportation, and that we shouldn't have to come to a complete stop if traffic doesn't warrant it. utah has just adopted a rolling stop policy for bicyclists, and i hope other states will soon follow. huzzah for utah! i guess idaho has had this law for 20 years now?

That's it. Thanks Allen :cheers:

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:16 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2657 thanks
Received: 3676 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
following the law, regard for your safety, or personal choice...doesnt matter what you call it. you will get nailed by 'the man' if you run a sign/light or even just 'act careless' on a bike.

i got 'pulled over' on my bike 2 weeks ago riding home from my office....probably doesnt help that not only did i run EVERY stop sign/light down RSF Rd., but also was jumping off curbs and bunny hopping/riding over bus stop benches....

his biggest sore spot was how he had to follow me for 5 blocks with full cherries going before i 'pulled over'....apparently wearing headphones (and listening to RATM) is ALSO illegal while riding a bike.

sadly, this country is going to the dogs.........IMO
if you wanna act like a dumbass on a bike....i feel you should have the right to....you're on a bike, so no matter what you hit, you are going to loose.
the fact that bikes and cars fall under the same rules is pure BULLSHIT in my opinion.

btw, this is my road bike.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
so what was the fine?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 am 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2657 thanks
Received: 3676 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
i actually got very lucky this time....just a 'warning'....after he initially 'harassed' me for a few minutes, we ended up shooting the shit and it turns out Mr. Officer was very cool.

thank God there are still a few good servants of the people out there...they have a very tough job and i highly respect them for what they have to do/deal with everyday....however, one too many of them nowadays seem to forget that in this great country of ours, we are indeed still INNOCENT until proven guilty, and not the other way around.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Good to hear, word on the street is that the fines for all traffic related violations were just increased substantially to save California from financial doom