It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 292 thanks
Received: 190 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign 1, K2 Base 3.0
Favorite Trails: Calaveras; Sandy ridge, OR.
Hey guys, apparently I'm nuts 'cuz i just signed up to do the Tour de Cure 100 mile event to find a cure for diabetes coming up this May. Been checking online for tips and training programs for doing a century, but it's only been a day since i signed up so i havent done a ton of searching, but what im finding is a lot of variation in training programs. so i guess what im looking for is maybe just some basic tips for getting started or putting together a program. I have an indoor roller type trainer and access to some pretty variable types of terrain for training. I appreciate any help in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
The only thing I have experience with that comes in 100 is food related so Im of no help. I know active.com has alot of training related tips and articles. I think their mostly related to running though. Some info is better than no info right?

The following user would like to thank Los for his or her post:
K2Brandon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:39 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
Don't get wrapped around the mileage, yea 100 seems like alot but in a road bike its not hard. Just go out and ride and have fun, if you "train" you have less fun on the actuall event. IMO your first century should be fun, not a race. There are plenty of training prgrams out there to increase your milage but you have a lot of time between now and May. Just go ride every two weeks increase it a little, you don't need to go ride a 100 in training. Just like any other training program you never to your actual event distance. I believe if you can ride 50 you can ride 100 and if you can ride 100 you can do 200. Find some people you can ride with on the weekends and learn how to ride a road bike (it's different than than the mtn bike), learn to ride in a pace line and how to desend and climb (it's different than than the mtn bike.) That will save you energy and time during the event. Again go out and just ride and more importantly have fun.

The following user would like to thank EMFC for his or her post:
K2Brandon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:00 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
Los wrote:
I believe if you can ride 50 you can ride 100 and if you can ride 100 you can do 200. Find some people you can ride with on the weekends and learn how to ride a road bike (it's different than than the mtn bike), learn to ride in a pace line and how to desend and climb (it's different than than the mtn bike.) That will save you energy and time during the event. Again go out and just ride and more importantly have fun.

There are a ton of road groups on the net, google road bike rides in San Diego, its pretty easy to find people to ride with. The best thing to learn when riding in a pack is to "hold your line" ride straight and don't swerve around. Roadies like to ride close to each others wheel an overlap and touch of wheels could be a very bad thing. Its all about trust in the pack riding world. Good luck, I'll ride with ya if you want.
I've done 4 centurys this year and I just picked up a road bike in April. It's not that tough. The first one is the worst one. If you can handle a Mt. Bike on rocky single track, you can ride on the road.

--Desmond Tutu

The following user would like to thank mongooseboy for his or her post:
K2Brandon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
If you pm me an email address, I'll send you an 18 week Trek century training program (you gradually build miles and ride with varying intensity) that was helpful in preparing for my first century. Good luck and have fun.

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
K2Brandon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:24 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Thanks for the help guys. Im seeing alot about staying in the pace line.... is there alot of this on a century charity ride or does it seem like most people are out for themselves. I have ridden in a 'peloton' a few times before and i like the benefits of drafting off of faster riders. i guess i'm just figuring that a lot of people set out on their own, instead of finding a group. thanks again for the help everyone! you all ROCK :bang:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:49 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
Don't worry about being really proficient about riding in a pace line -- the average century is not the Giro, the Tour, or even the Vuelta. There will be a big group of riders together at the start but after that, things spread out comfortably.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:18 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5055 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Time on the bike is more important that the distance. Increase your ride times to about 5-6 hours slowly over the next few months and you will do great Brandon. The etiquette of riding in a group or through groups is pretty basic. Just ride along at your pace and you find the pace group for you during the ride. Then take turns pulling at the front and no sudden moves or dropped water bottles. Nice thing about road rides is there are way more women riders, in lycra! :cheers:

Next time I do a Pendleton road ride (Oside to San Clemente and back, about 50 miles and easy), I'll PM you.

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:29 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

sounds great Kimba!! ive done that ride a few times over the last couple months and like it a lot, but its always nice to ride with other people. Just got my brother interested in this ride also so he may join us too if possible. At least i have a solid training partner in my bro, since he'll be doing the same ride.