It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:36 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
2011 Host Cities Announced.
Bummer! :?
We were promised a San Diego County venue... WTF?

Go here: http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/ra ... video.html

Attachments:
bummer.jpg
bummer.jpg [ 99.12 KiB | Viewed 8722 times ]

Last edited by Mudd on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 781 thanks
Received: 783 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot Firebird, Highline
Favorite Trails: All
Mudd wrote:
2011 Host Cities Announced.
Bummer! :?
We were promised a San Diego County venue... WTF?

Go here: http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/ra ... video.html

The City of San Diego didn't want to put up the cash, in my opinion City officials have no clue the potential revenues the Tour can bring in to local business.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:21 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 10 thanks
Favorite Trails: All trails
San Diego is not an easy place to get permits. City officials just don't care about cycling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:34 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 30 thanks
Received: 126 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Cervelo R3 00 Homegrown
It is a shame SD and it's many well-off residents couldn't step up and bring a stage here. But hey, the city is becoming more open to "cycling" events. It's just a huge logistic undertaking to do a 120K stage around here and if the city i broke and no one wants to step up to help, it's not going to happen. But to say the city doesn't care about cycling isn't true, in the last year the city and county have opened their parks to allow us to have MTB Races, the Tour De Fat is in it's 2nd year, we have so many Triathlons every year. But a large "pro only" event is a bit harder to pull off. I say give it another year or so, keep bugging the city and county officials, and things will happen.

The following 2 users would like to thank gest24 for his or her post:
Canaan, PedalinLito
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 781 thanks
Received: 783 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot Firebird, Highline
Favorite Trails: All
I agree. It will be up to the citizenry (I always wanted to say that word) to lobby the elected officials to bring the Tour to San Diego.

I also hear Livermore formed a group of local business that pitched in money to bring the Tour to there town, I don’t know the details but I believe those business that donated money got to promote there business during the race.

Did you see where the last Stage is finishing, on top of Mt.Baldy, should be a classic alpine finish, I would pay to see Contador and Andy Schleck battle it out to the top of Mt.Baldy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:00 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
Amgen Tour of California Recap -

"Amgen 2009. The last stage of the Amgen Tour of California took place on Sunday, Feb 22, 2009 with the riders competing in a thrilling race from Rancho Bernardo to Escondido via Palomar Mountain. This was the first time San Diego County hosted the race and the event was a huge success for all involved. The California Highway Patrol estimated that 300,000 spectators came out to watch the race in San Diego, far surpassing the attendance levels at last year's finish stage in Pasadena. Recent research reports show that hotel occupancy in Rancho Bernardo and Escondido was at 84%, providing a much-needed boost for the area."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5021 thanks
Received: 5054 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
That sucks. Maybe north county cities like Calsbad and San Marcos could try to bring it here in 2012 - imagine a stage finish at Double Peak park!

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
Not just San Diego, but most of SoCal altogether. I find it hard to believe that San Diego County, Orange County, LA County, Riverside County and San Bernadino County are all so hard to work with that we can't get a stage of the race in this region. All while Lake Tahoe gets a shitload of time in the first 2 stages. All we get is the Claremont to Mt Baldy.

They've snubbed this whole region 2 years in a row now. As far as I'm concerned they can go F themselves. I will not support the race until they start coming to SoCal more.

The following user would like to thank PacMan for his or her post:
Mudd
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 257 thanks
Received: 428 thanks
Bike(s): Douglas Fusion, Devinci Django
Favorite Trails: your mom*
more than 50 cities applied to be a ville d'etape. i enjoyed stage 8 a lot, and i'd like to see stage 8 repeat in a future edition, but i doubt san diego county could provide a better, different route. i'm glad they are trying to keep the quality of the stages good, because you have to ask, 'why would predominantly european teams with mostly european sponsors care about exposure in california?' garmin, htc, et al. might care, but i doubt anyone who doesn't follow cycling would ever hear or care about caisse d'epargne, ag2r, fdj, liquigas, milram, etc., and the miniscule exposure they would get is hardly worth sending teams and equipment across the pond.

the atoc directors talk about expanding future editions to possibly 10 or 11 stages and competing with the giro as tdf prep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:18 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Here's a fantasy route: Oceanside - or anywhere on the coast for that matter - up to Julian down the 78 grade to the desert then up Montezuma to 79 with a summit finish up the east flank of Palomar. It showcases the diverse beauty of the county - coast to mountains and desert - and would challenge the ability of any rider training for the Tdf. Remember, you heard it here first. :cheers:

We have to think about this shit because the persons who plan, propose and decide probably have not a complete clue what's out there in our corner of the state.

-Big Clyde

The following 3 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Canaan, Mudd, PacMan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:30 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
Kimba wrote:
Here's a fantasy route: Oceanside - or anywhere on the coast for that matter - up to Julian down the 78 grade to the desert then up Montezuma to 79 with a summit finish up the east flank of Palomar. It showcases the diverse beauty of the county - coast to mountains and desert - and would challenge the ability of any rider training for the Tdf. Remember, you heard it here first. :cheers:

This sounds awesome, anyone want to do this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Kimba wrote:

We have to think about this shit because the persons who plan, propose and decide probably have not a complete clue what's out there in our corner of the state.

that's sort of like the pie ride (at least that's what i think it's called) in reverse: esco/valley center/harrah's -> palomar south grade -> mesa grande -> pie in santa ysabel or julian -> 78 -> esco/valley center/harrah's. possible extra credit: cole grade, montezuma/banner grade, lake wohlford.

since the tdc did come here in 2008, i believe that at least esco and rb among others probably lobby to be ville d'etape every year. someone said palomar can't handle a mountaintop finish, and by the lack of toilets and space at the kom in 2008, i'd guess they're probably right.

to me, some possible routes are the long pie ride (esco, lake wohlford, south to east grade, montezuma, banner, julian, finishing in/near esco), palm springs to julian, somewhere north through the lagunas and then either sd or tecate, or a circuit course near sd or tj.

anyone wanna do stage 8 or pie ride before weds? probably from harrah's or esco dog park

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:02 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

EMFC wrote:
Kimba wrote:

This sounds awesome, anyone want to do this?

I do.

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:12 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Just rode GMR to the Mt Baldy ski lifts, and I have to say I'm very excited about this stage. The bit from the village to the ski area is fucking steep. I am looking forward to seeing superhuman pros flog themselves on this bastard. Anyone wanna catch a morning metrolink over and ride up and camp the night before (fri 5/20/2011)? It's gonna be good...