PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:08 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 30 thanks
Bike(s): Costco Special.
Favorite Trails: Night Rides...
Road bike it is.

I didn't think it would make much of a difference having skinnier tires. I just bought a trek Fx 7.1 bike on CL for my wife today, and after riding it around a bit to test it out, i felt the smoother faster rolling of the bike. Now to find a decent bike with at least a 105 group.

thanks for all the input guys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:12 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 30 thanks
Bike(s): Costco Special.
Favorite Trails: Night Rides...
jabantik wrote:
i would avoid something too nice or expensive if it's going to be a bike you lock up outside. if it's gonna be a grocery getter, i'd look for a old road/touring bike or rigid mtb on craigslist. i'd especially look for something with eyelets for racks and fenders.

edit: i hear mixed reviews about the alfine internal gear hub. i near nuvincis are decent if you don't mind a heavy(!) hub. rohloffs are pimp but $. i think i'd go with a normal chain and derailler setup

edit again: does your hardtail have a rigid fork? is there something about it that isn't satisfactory? hardtail mtbs (especially with rigid forks) make some pretty pimp commuter/beaters. can it take a rack and fenders?

My MTB has a suspension fork with a lock out. it took me there and back, but like i noted before, it isn't very efficient. im just going to slap on knobbies again and leave it as my back up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:21 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 990 thanks
Received: 102 thanks
Bike(s): BMC Trailfox 1.0
Favorite Trails: so far any
I commute. I use my one bike fits all, because that's all I got. My "road" wheels are mounted on a old set of light weight Crossmax & town n country tires. I do switch tires, which isn't too bad, but is a drag because I'm lazy by nature. So they tend to stay on for several weeks at a time.
If I had the $$, I'd go with a beater road, to make the hill less of a drag, & the wind we seem to have all the time anymore.
Also because I also upgraded components, I'm ubber paranoid when locking it up. So far I have been able to park inside, so far.
So ya go with a beater road bike.