It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
Could be worse....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:30 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
they say, if your right, you'll win.

Kimba wrote:
danimal wrote:
Kimba wrote:
If it was a huge MMA guy I would have done the EXACT same thing.

really?

I once gave someone the finger for cutting me off. The guy turned out to be someone not to f--k with and damn near beat down the danimal. Now I just shake my head at them.

Yes, really. So worst case I get beat up and sue the mofo. Fine with me.

You have to stand up for what's right.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:39 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 3 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: Sycamore, Calaveras, Daley
Quote:
proper etiquette question: I was first car at light on Poway Rd crossing Pomerado. Cyclist stopped next to me, we'd been leapfrogging down Poway so I know he's doing a fairly good pace. I need to turn right at the chase bank entrance maybe 50yds down. I'll get there ahead of the cyclist, but very likely will still be in the turn as he catches up to me - like any other car turning on the road the vehicles behind are expected to have to slow for the turning vehicles in front right? As long as you don't cut them of and they have plenty of time to react there is nothing inherently wrong with the biker having to slow down?

When in doubt - use caution, not etiquette - if it was a truck what would you do? As a cyclist I think it's necessary to always assume the worse, but in general, is it going to kill you to wait an extra 30 seconds for the bike to pass you? Is it etiquette that dictates your driving? I would opt for common sense and conservation. There are actual rules for driving, not etiquette - think about a four-way stop - makes me crazy when someone gives rights when it's not right and then what happens? Two drivers end up going at the same time because one of them is not following "the rules". Sometimes it's good to just follow the rules. The rules say you wait for the cyclist to go unless you are certain you can clear the road before it gets there.

And regarding the Cal Trans comment - ditto that! - I just want to scream everytime I see people riding bikes the wrong way on the street, no helmets. . .

ok, rant over.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:18 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 457 thanks
Favorite Trails: .
Leucadian wrote:
Quote:
proper etiquette question: I was first car at light on Poway Rd crossing Pomerado. Cyclist stopped next to me, we'd been leapfrogging down Poway so I know he's doing a fairly good pace. I need to turn right at the chase bank entrance maybe 50yds down. I'll get there ahead of the cyclist, but very likely will still be in the turn as he catches up to me - like any other car turning on the road the vehicles behind are expected to have to slow for the turning vehicles in front right? As long as you don't cut them of and they have plenty of time to react there is nothing inherently wrong with the biker having to slow down?

When in doubt - use caution, not etiquette - if it was a truck what would you do? As a cyclist I think it's necessary to always assume the worse, but in general, is it going to kill you to wait an extra 30 seconds for the bike to pass you? Is it etiquette that dictates your driving? I would opt for common sense and conservation. There are actual rules for driving, not etiquette - think about a four-way stop - makes me crazy when someone gives rights when it's not right and then what happens? Two drivers end up going at the same time because one of them is not following "the rules". Sometimes it's good to just follow the rules. The rules say you wait for the cyclist to go unless you are certain you can clear the road before it gets there.

And regarding the Cal Trans comment - ditto that! - I just want to scream everytime I see people riding bikes the wrong way on the street, no helmets. . .

ok, rant over.

Quote:

Bike Lanes and Right Turns
how it's supposed to be done

How is a car supposed to make a right turn from a street with a bike lane? It's one of the most widely misunderstood traffic rules (at least in California). Most cyclists, motorists, even cops don't get it, and the DMV doesn't express the concept as clearly as they should.

A right-turning car is supposed to move into the bike lane before the intersection, anywhere from 200 to 50 feet before, first signalling the lane merge, then merging right to the curb lane, then finally making the actual turn when safe.

The guiding principle is to always make a right turn from the right lane, and a left turn from the left lane, or left turn pocket if there is one. Turning across lanes is a big no-no, since it can (and often does) result in crashes and near-crashes, especially "right hook" collisions frequently suffered by bicyclists.

It's similarly dangerous for cyclists to make left turns from a right lane, and it's the same process in reverse to do it correctly: signal a left merge, merge left when safe (yielding to any traffic already in that left lane), signal a left turn, make the turn when safe.

A bike lane is a travel lane, like a standard travel lane, it's just not meant to have motor vehicles "traveling" in it. But to make a right turn, any vehicle (bike, car, truck, etc) is supposed to be in the right lane, so a motor vehicle needs to safely merge into the bike lane (yielding to any traffic already in that bike lane), before making the turn.

Sounds like I did it right anyway, pull into the bike lane ahead of the cyclist to turn since I was out ahead of them - at that point any traffic in that lane behind follows all the same rules of the road that anyone travelling behind a car turning right would follow (ie use your brakes to slow down if you have to). Obv. doesn't cover asshat moves like cutting them off or throwing a brake check in front of them...

--edit, or addition I guess--

Oh and sorry to threadjack kimba, should have said this first but sorry you nearly got squashed by a dumbass! Your story just got me wondering WTF the rules really are - and I guess now I know. And I agree with previous poster that it's always best to err on the side of caution when dealing with bike - car matchups!

The following user would like to thank craptasticyler for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:31 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
craptasticyler wrote:
proper etiquette question: I was first car at light on Poway Rd crossing Pomerado. Cyclist stopped next to me,

Don't know if you really had the opportunity, but could you have rolled down your window (while you were both stopped at the light) and told him you'd be making a right turn up ahead?

craptasticyler wrote:
Sounds like I did it right anyway, pull into the bike lane ahead of the cyclist to turn since I was out ahead of them - at that point any traffic in that lane behind follows all the same rules of the road that anyone travelling behind a car turning right would follow (ie use your brakes to slow down if you have to). Obv. doesn't cover asshat moves like cutting them off or throwing a brake check in front of them...

Yeah, sounds like you did it right. The most important thing, in my opinion, is you were aware of the cyclist, you made the cyclist aware of your intentions (by using your turn signal well in advance), and you used common sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:43 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 457 thanks
Favorite Trails: .
chuckanado wrote:
craptasticyler wrote:
proper etiquette question: I was first car at light on Poway Rd crossing Pomerado. Cyclist stopped next to me,

Don't know if you really had the opportunity, but could you have rolled down your window (while you were both stopped at the light) and told him you'd be making a right turn up ahead?

craptasticyler wrote:

Yeah, sounds like you did it right. The most important thing, in my opinion, is you were aware of the cyclist, you made the cyclist aware of your intentions (by using your turn signal well in advance), and you used common sense.

Ha, you know what that's a really good idea - I don't recall for sure, he may have pulled ahead to let the cars behind get around him but it's something I'll keep in mind if it ever lines up like that again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:23 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 11 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Fuel EX
Favorite Trails: Not Pavement
I commute 3 days per week and ride on the road often. The best way to get respect from motorists is to wear plain clothes! When in lycra (more manly form of spandex), i have more issues with motorists.

After being cut off back in 2007 by an old German lady trying to park her car on the coast, i have been super paranoid about getting hit again. This lady was going south on Pacific street in Oside and saw a parking spot. She had just passed me and made eye contact. As she screeched to a halt into a parking spot, i proceeded to lay out over her trunk and into her back window. Gotta love it!

To prevent this from happening, take the lane. When people are making a right, they should take the bike lane if in front of you. If you weave in the bike lane, you will be more noticable. Just see how much room motorists give you if you dont track straight in the bike lane.

Good luck out there. Ive been more torn up on my MTB than the couple incidents with the cars. At least the MTB was my fault though.

The following user would like to thank JetRow for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:04 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Well, with all of my favorite trails closing, and with mtb'ing apparently now a criminal activity, I'm riding mostly on the roads these days.

I've found that my mtb shoes, with their toe spikes, are good for more than traction on dirt, too......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:30 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
[quote="Ray Dolor"]Well, with all of my favorite trails closing, and with mtb'ing apparently now a criminal activity, I'm riding mostly on the roads these days.

I've found that my mtb shoes, with their toe spikes, are good for more than traction on dirt, too......[/

Don't give up on trail riding; the two styles are complementary aspects of the same thing, but I think you know that :cheers:

This recent clamp down is a phase.

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:34 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Cool. Now I know how to post the same reply 7 times. :lol:

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:14 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
bajamtnbkr wrote:
Sorry mike but I can't picture you yelling at someone without your usual big smile, I doubt she got your message other than how nice and friendly you are :lol:

that was my second thought.

the first was this handlebar mounted 'oh no you didnnn't' machine

Attachment:
Nuke-Bike-L-1.jpg
Nuke-Bike-L-1.jpg [ 138.31 KiB | Viewed 7567 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:00 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 20 thanks
Bike(s): SC Nomad
Favorite Trails: Calavera
The last time I was hit by a car I was gently side-swiped and I just leaned into the car leaving my handlebars scraping along the entire length of their car. I just scraped my elbow and their car was pretty dented and scraped so I rode off after an exchange of words.

I think it's more dumb people then anything. Gotta stay on your toes at all times!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 350 thanks
Received: 402 thanks
Bike(s): Big Wheel Yeti
Favorite Trails: Elfin, Cowles, San Juan
I got hit on Tuesday night!!!! Luckily I was just grazed by the truck's mirror and the truck wasn't going very fast.

But after the guy grazed past me he continued to drift to the right, then when he went left he went over the yellow lines and then drifted back slowly. May be he was drunk or tired?

I thought about saying something to him as I approached him at the next light, but what would I say exaclty?

What I mean is. If I was able to 'lecture' or 'educate' this motorist, would it do a lick of good? We could all yell at and educate every idiot we run into, but there will still be a fresh crop out there who missed the memo.

You can drive yourself crazy trying to do this, and then end up like some nut doing something over-the-top to someone who, likely, doesn't even know what you are angry about.

So I say nothing... usually... If you honk at me, on the other hand, I will fucking beat you with your own arm.

:wave:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:42 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 252 thanks
Bike(s): Chumba XCL, Tassajara
Favorite Trails: La Costa
You could have just told him calmly that he hit you. Whether you are nice or irate doesn't matter, they'll listen and care, or they won't. Then you could have figured out if he WAS drunk and called the cops on him.

The following 3 users would like to thank PaulChavez for his or her post:
dingus kong, Dirtrider, Throttlepimp
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:09 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 350 thanks
Received: 402 thanks
Bike(s): Big Wheel Yeti
Favorite Trails: Elfin, Cowles, San Juan
Ok, that is good advice I suppose.