It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:23 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm
Posts: 5144
Given: 13879 thanks
Received: 5077 thanks
Bike(s): Marin 29'er; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Haven't been on the bike for a couple of weeks so I'm going to take it easy tonight -- out-and-back ride up the middle of Spring. No real climbing and a very social pace. Meet-up spot is The Grasslands at 6:00 p.m.

_________________
The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper names.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:50 pm 
Offline
Active Participant
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Posts: 106
Given: 19 thanks
Received: 59 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti ASR 7, Trek 8000
Favorite Trails: northern AZ
darn! My puppy had issues this evening after getting spayed last week; she popped a stitch, etc, etc.. so I'm at the vet's office getting her fixed up. Have a good ride!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:16 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm
Posts: 5144
Given: 13879 thanks
Received: 5077 thanks
Bike(s): Marin 29'er; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Thanks. How coincidental that you'd reply to this post -- I planned on shooting you a pm. On tonight's ride I saw (actually ran over) a Southern Pacific rattlesnake with a very definite greenish hue. I've read that some Mojave greens have made it into San Diego County and are cross-breeding with Southern Pacifics -- if they are, I wouldn't be surprised if the snake I saw was one of these super snakes.

I hope your puppy is doing well.

_________________
The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper names.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:18 pm 
Offline
Active Participant
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:44 pm
Posts: 298
Given: 63 thanks
Received: 82 thanks
Bike(s): Sette Vexx DH
Favorite Trails: Noble, Anderson TT, Sweetwater
Where is Spring Canyon?? I may be in for the ride.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:30 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm
Posts: 5144
Given: 13879 thanks
Received: 5077 thanks
Bike(s): Marin 29'er; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Spring Canyon is just above MTRP, north of the 52. Ride the fireroad on the east edge of the park up under the 52 and you're there.

_________________
The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper names.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:40 pm 
Offline
Active Participant
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 am
Posts: 377
Location: Santee, CA
Given: 223 thanks
Received: 198 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 4500 disk
Favorite Trails: Cowles(big rock)
Canaan wrote:
Spring Canyon is just above MTRP, north of the 52. Ride the fireroad on the east edge of the park up under the 52 and you're there.



i may in for the next one lolol

_________________
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 pm 
Offline
Active Participant
Active Participant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Posts: 106
Given: 19 thanks
Received: 59 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti ASR 7, Trek 8000
Favorite Trails: northern AZ
Gnarly... Spring Canyon is where I saw a big rattler with a green hue a couple years ago while doing biology surveys. Tough to say with certainty about the cross-breeding of Mojave and So.Pacifics, but possible, especially if a collector released a Mojave in the area (it happens).

Glad you're OK. I'm hiking a lot for work right now and I always wear my snake guards. :shock:

I rode Florida Canyon since it is almost my backyard. Been a month since I've ridden... I am officially out of shape. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
The following user would like to thank ShiverMeTimbers for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 am 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:33 pm
Posts: 2970
Given: 2258 thanks
Received: 3296 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Canaan wrote:
..On tonight's ride I saw (actually ran over) a Southern Pacific rattlesnake with a very definite greenish hue. I've read that some Mojave greens have made it into San Diego County and are cross-breeding with Southern Pacifics -- if they are, I wouldn't be surprised if the snake I saw was one of these super snakes.



another genetic experiment from the spring canyon laboratory of dr. canaan gone awry.


where about on the trail did you 'encounter' this frank-en-snake.

_________________
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy. ~Milan Kundera


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:37 am 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm
Posts: 5144
Given: 13879 thanks
Received: 5077 thanks
Bike(s): Marin 29'er; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
jSatch wrote:
Canaan wrote:
..On tonight's ride I saw (actually ran over) a Southern Pacific rattlesnake with a very definite greenish hue. I've read that some Mojave greens have made it into San Diego County and are cross-breeding with Southern Pacifics -- if they are, I wouldn't be surprised if the snake I saw was one of these super snakes.



another genetic experiment from the spring canyon laboratory of dr. canaan gone awry.


where about on the trail did you 'encounter' this frank-en-snake.


Anything I created would be like Milton the Monster (". . . and now for a tincture of tenderness so he won't destroy me . . . oops, too much").

This guy was stretched out across the singletrack I call The High Road -- if you're heading south on Three Barrels, the trail head for The High Road is on the right, just past the barrels. It runs roughly parallel to the lower trail that continues straight past the barrels.

He was on the off-camber section near the descent at the end -- if I'd gone left, I would have crashed down the hill; if I'd gone right, I would have been going closer to his head; and if I'd stopped, I would have been about 1 foot away from him. Best option was running him over -- twice that's happened to me this year.

_________________
The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper names.


Top
 Profile  
 
The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
jSatch
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:00 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:33 pm
Posts: 2970
Given: 2258 thanks
Received: 3296 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Canaan wrote:
....
He was on the off-camber section near the descent at the end --


so just uphill from that lower section that washed out and was reconstructed?

Canaan wrote:
Best option was running him over -- twice that's happened to me this year.


note to self- make excuses if asked to a ride including canaan.

_________________
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy. ~Milan Kundera


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:23 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:33 pm
Posts: 2970
Given: 2258 thanks
Received: 3296 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Canaan wrote:
jSatch wrote:
Canaan wrote:
..On tonight's ride I saw (actually ran over) a Southern Pacific rattlesnake with a very definite greenish hue. I've read that some Mojave greens have made it into San Diego County and are cross-breeding with Southern Pacifics -- if they are, I wouldn't be surprised if the snake I saw was one of these super snakes.



another genetic experiment from the spring canyon laboratory of dr. canaan gone awry.


where about on the trail did you 'encounter' this frank-en-snake.


Anything I created would be like Milton the Monster (". . . and now for a tincture of tenderness so he won't destroy me . . . oops, too much").



...hmmm, nice cover, but i was thinking more of the island of doctor moreau.

_________________
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy. ~Milan Kundera


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:42 pm 
Offline
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:57 pm
Posts: 1159
Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Somebody please teach Canaan how to bunny hop...err, snake hop.

Came across a nice size Southern Pacific on my out yesterday.
Image

On the way back in found a Red Diamond exiting the dirt road so fast I couldn't get a shot. Strangely there was a road runner right by his tail watching him take off, as though he was weighing the option of giving him a poke.


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
Canaan, jSatch
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:00 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm
Posts: 5144
Given: 13879 thanks
Received: 5077 thanks
Bike(s): Marin 29'er; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
jSatch wrote:
Canaan wrote:
....
He was on the off-camber section near the descent at the end --


so just uphill from that lower section that washed out and was reconstructed?


Yes.

_________________
The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper names.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:03 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm
Posts: 5144
Given: 13879 thanks
Received: 5077 thanks
Bike(s): Marin 29'er; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Robo wrote:
Somebody please teach Canaan how to bunny hop...err, snake hop.

Came across a nice size Southern Pacific on my out yesterday.
Image

On the way back in found a Red Diamond exiting the dirt road so fast I couldn't get a shot. Strangely there was a road runner right by his tail watching him take off, as though he was weighing the option of giving him a poke.


I know how to bunny hop -- the problem is I don't think quickly enough. You'll find that gets to be a problem when you're my age . . . .

_________________
The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper names.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:48 pm 
Offline
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:57 pm
Posts: 1159
Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Canaan wrote:
Robo wrote:
Somebody please teach Canaan how to bunny hop...err, snake hop.


I know how to bunny hop -- the problem is I don't think quickly enough. You'll find that gets to be a problem when you're my age . . . .

A test of my age, reflexes and snake-hopping skills today on the descent down Sh*ts. Too late to stop by the time I spied the small guy splayed out across the trail, but the drainage bump provided a perfect launch point to sail over him.

Don't even know if he noticed me going over as he didn't move until I came back to confirm it was a rattler (and snap a pic for your enjoyment, Canaan).
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 3 users would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
DWill, endo, jSatch
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group