Post subject: Fuel for Tour De Poway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:40 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 2 thanks
Received: 22 thanks
Bike(s): 2009 GT Outpost
Favorite Trails: Otay Valley
Getting ready to do a metric century at the Tour de Poway and I have two big concerns. The one is that I will never make it up the Poway grade with out walking and since I am more proud than smart I might have a heart attack climbing the hill rather than walk it. My second concern is Nutrition for the ride. I have noticed on long rides I don't get that hungry and have to force myself to eat, which is a very strange concept for me. So I am looking for a combo of bars and gels so I don't bonk. Also wanting peoples experience with fluids, energy drinks and power shots.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
There are so many people riding up the grade that adrenaline alone will get you to the top. As for fuel I don’t bring a lot on rides like this because the sag stops are really well stocked. I usually power through on pretzels, they always taste better on these rides. Bring a few gels if you think you’ll need them.

BTW thanks for reminding me that I need to sign up for this. Maybe we all need to meet up before of after the ride.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
oldfat1 wrote:
Getting ready to do a metric century at the Tour de Poway and I have two big concerns. The one is that I will never make it up the Poway grade with out walking and since I am more proud than smart I might have a heart attack climbing the hill rather than walk it. My second concern is Nutrition for the ride. I have noticed on long rides I don't get that hungry and have to force myself to eat, which is a very strange concept for me. So I am looking for a combo of bars and gels so I don't bonk. Also wanting peoples experience with fluids, energy drinks and power shots.

The Poway Grade scares me and I live at the bottom of it. The first part, is the worst part, but it does sorta level off in the middle . And with the climb being timed it might get a little loco out there. If you are really concerned, just hang in the back at the start and when you start passing people you will feel more confident.
About eating: I am the same way, I have to pay attention, and eat every 20 miles. If you don't eat you will pay for it for sure on a longer ride. I like Cytomax orange flavor, to drink, but everyone's tastes are diffrent. You can get single serving packets of most brands/flavors and find one you like. If you can find out what they are mixing up at he SAG stations at the T.d.P. you could buy that and your tummy won't react to someting new on the event day.
A peanut butter sandwich or a bagel, is easy to get into a jersey pocket and is not too messy, I have been eating the Power Bar Smoothe bars (orange and berrry) lately, and Performance has them on sale, buy one box, get a box free. I also like the Accelgels, key lime flavor. But one thing the roadies can do that most Mt. Bikers can't, is stop at a convience store along the ride. An Ice cold Coke, and a Snickers Bar can be a life saver. Good luck!

--Desmond Tutu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:12 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Last year's Tour de Poway was my first century and I was worried at the start about how I'd do. I had never ridden over 45 miles on the road bike. I started with a bottle of water and a bottle of electrolyte. I also had a sandwich bag of cliff bar cut into bit size chunks and shot blocks. I forced myself to eat one or two bits of the cliff bar and a shot block every 30 min. I had enough in the bag for 6 hours. Eating early and often, before you feel hungry (and get the bonk feeling) is key. The aid stations are stocked with everything you would want: fruit, bars, gels (?), PBJ's, PB & honey, water, electrolyte and replacement drinks. I think the key is to remember how much energy you will be using and make sure your replace that before you feel it and bonk. Best of all, good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:30 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
mongooseboy wrote:
An Ice cold Coke

This has gotten me through many of rides, pair that with some PB M&M's...MONEY$$$$$$$$$

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:44 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 292 thanks
Received: 190 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign 1, K2 Base 3.0
Favorite Trails: Calaveras; Sandy ridge, OR.
i had good experience in the Tour de Cure taking these 'sportlegs' pills. im not sure if theyre nutrition but they definitely keep the burn down on the long climbs. came recommended to me by a few people and on climbs that would have me huffing and puffing they seemed to do their job. Im also a GU pack guy, just bring a couple. easy money. Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:10 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 851 thanks
Received: 650 thanks
Bike(s): Trance X1, Giant STP, Foes Fly
Favorite Trails: La Costa, Idyllwild
moondogg wrote:
Eating early and often, before you feel hungry (and get the bonk feeling) is key.

+1
I found Gatorade in the bottles helps a lot on longer rides. Stay calm, I did the little Italy metric last year, at the start I was all pumped up and tried to pass everyone, 5 miles in, I was spent. The last ten miles are the worst, but as soon as you finish, you're going to want to do a full century, good luck :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:15 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 2 thanks
Received: 22 thanks
Bike(s): 2009 GT Outpost
Favorite Trails: Otay Valley
Thanks for the info. After this I want to the the Encinitas Century ride. I have upped my mileage and am doing the Insanity work out (It is like P90X without the weights) and although I feel like a kid, the 250+ body I am carrying around snaps me back to reality.

The following user would like to thank oldfat1 for his or her post:
dingus kong
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:56 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 350 thanks
Received: 402 thanks
Bike(s): Big Wheel Yeti
Favorite Trails: Elfin, Cowles, San Juan

There is a 50 mile mountain bike race the day before. Last year I tried to do both.
But I did not do both. I did less than one and a half.