All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:46 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Discuss what you take on a ride to eat or drink.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:51 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
So on my MTB this past Sun. it was freaking warm, & after the third hour was starting to bonk. I think I needed more electrolytes as I sweating alot.

I was looking at Vitalyte at REI.

Darryl told me Hammer products, have been working well for him. Thinking of ordering up there Gel & Sports Drink Heed/Perpetuem.

Going to try some stuff, for next ride out & see.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:28 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
Luna I find that what I eat in the 48 hrs prior to the ride affects me more than during-ride supplements.

Carbo load the Night before the night before

Protein the night before w/ light carbs

protein/starch breakfast at least 2 hrs before ride (small portion)

H2O and G2, maybe a solid-Cliff(or goo) every 45 mins or so during the ride. I usually try to portion the G2 intake so I have a bit left to drink before a final climb or final long decent.

I just know that Fiber and Dairy(or anything really) are not reccommended to be in your stomach at the start of the ride, so that ride breakfast for me is usually one fried egg with a small portion of hashbrowns with nothing on them. Should be almost hungry by the time the ride starts.

Also, some recovery philosophies state that continuing to sip on an electrolyte relacement drinks during the few hours of recovery after the ride will help in the recovery process.

Last edited by jjthewhale on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:02 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 249 thanks
Received: 694 thanks
Bike(s): S-Works 29er Niner Air9 Masi
Favorite Trails: All of them
On rides shorter than 2 hours I use Hammer Nutrition Heed(about 2 scoops in a 20-24oz bottle) and that's it. On rides longer than 2 hours I use Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem(amount of scoops defined by the hours I will be riding, ex: 2 scoops per hour of planned riding all mixed in one bottle) and water in a seperate container. Also, on the longer rides I like to bring a bottle with Heed also, just for something with some flavor. I don't really use gels or gu's during regular rides, I try to use them just for races. On long rides I like to eat PB&J, Oatmea Raisin Clif Bar's, or Vanilla Power Bars. What a lot of people don't realize is that you need to be taking in calories constantly if you want to maintain your performance throughout the ride, and you need some form of protein if you are going more than a couple of hours.

Help support the NSW Flyin' Frogs, Phoenix Patriot Foundation and save 10% off your order simply by entering PPF as the discount code at http://www.infinitnutrition.us/. Another 10% will be donated back to PPF.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:14 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
I like Hammer products. I use HEED and Perpetuem. UC Cyclery carries Hammer products.

BTW, Chocolate milk is often recommended as a recovery drink.

The following user would like to thank OffRoadie for his or her post:
Zippy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:50 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Water, PB&J's, cliff bars, jelly beans and beef jerky = carbs, simple sugars and proteins that taste good. For longer rides I will bring a bottle of gatorade or mix a Vitalylte. Vitalyte packets worked well for me when I hiked Mt. Whitney in the fall. I have also seen people pack along a pre-package dill pickle. Eat the pickle and drink the juice halfway through a ride and you have all the salts you need.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:58 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
Marlboros and mountain dew.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:58 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
I usually start my preparation with a few beers the night before the ride.

When I get up I have my usual bowl of cereal.

For evening rides, particularly at LPQ back in the glory days of 6mos ago, a KFC bowl was the perfect pre-ride snack.

I drink water during the ride. For a longer ride I might water down some G2 and bring some clif bars or other snacks if I don't forget.

For after the ride, mexican or Wendy's is my preferred recovery food. Followed by a beer when I get home and a long nap on the couch.

Maybe all this is why I can't ride faster. But then again I'm out there to have fun not win any races 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:01 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 139 thanks
Received: 132 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad
Favorite Trails: Hog's Heaven, Sedona
I was out at San Juan a couple of weeks ago and I had some serious cramp issues in my legs. Some friends mentioned that they had football coaches who had them drink pickle juice to prevent cramping. Has anyone tried this?

I use power bar recovery drink for rides over 2 hours and usually try to eat a nice bit of protein within 1/2 hour of finishing those longer rides. Seems to work pretty well.

After a hot day ride it seems that beer totally rejuvinates me. It seems to especially do so if the beer is frost brewed from the rockies and also happens to be the coldest tasting beer. I didn't previously know that cold was a taste, but the folks at coors really showed me! :thumbsup:

As far as during the ride - I am still trying to figure out what works best for me. All of your comments and suggestions on this thread are appreciated.

Joe
:cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 377 thanks
Received: 188 thanks
Bike(s): Kona Unit
Favorite Trails: The ones with hills
I drink about 24oz of Vitalyte before I ride (REI $15). During a long ride I'll pop some sport beans (Costco $12). Use to eat Cliff Bars until I read that there was a salmonella outbreak!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
406 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:05 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
Phonger wrote:
406 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FRS prior to the ride, and microbrew after the ride! :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:10 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
Where is the best place to get the the Hammer Nutrition? Any recommendations? :thumbsup:

jonathan_sykes81 wrote:
On rides shorter than 2 hours I use Hammer Nutrition Heed(about 2 scoops in a 20-24oz bottle) and that's it. On rides longer than 2 hours I use Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem(amount of scoops defined by the hours I will be riding, ex: 2 scoops per hour of planned riding all mixed in one bottle) and water in a seperate container. Also, on the longer rides I like to bring a bottle with Heed also, just for something with some flavor. I don't really use gels or gu's during regular rides, I try to use them just for races. On long rides I like to eat PB&J, Oatmea Raisin Clif Bar's, or Vanilla Power Bars. What a lot of people don't realize is that you need to be taking in calories constantly if you want to maintain your performance throughout the ride, and you need some form of protein if you are going more than a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:31 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
Pulse carries Hammer products or just order them from the company, you will not find a friendlier and helpful customer srevice. Once I started using Hammer products I never turmed back, best stuff in my opinion.

Vitalyte taste like sweat, try it and you'll know what I am talking about. Any one remember what Gatorade use to taste like before they started usuing sugar?

The following user would like to thank EMFC for his or her post:
Sultan Ali
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:11 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
I know this thread is an open ended question, partly because not one of us has the same riding style (racing, endurance, epics). I'm really only concerned on nutrition >4 hours. Less than that, my usual drink supplement and 2 Cliff bars can get me through any ride. I'm still formulating my nutrition for rides more than 5 hours. When three of us crossed the San Gabes back in Dec, we started with a monster breakfast of eggs and pancakes (protein & carbs for the morning). Then it was an hour drive before we hit the trail (digest). Throughout the ride, I forced myself to eat and drink. My energy felt good all day, but I believe I was also helped on the way the terrain was laid out. 11 hours later, we crossed the San Gabes after 50 miles. But I'm still not satisfied on what to eat (beside bars) beyond 4 hours to keep energy levels high.

moondogg wrote:
Water, PB&J's, cliff bars, jelly beans and beef jerky = carbs, simple sugars and proteins that taste good.

Read your package of beef jerky again. I used to eat it on rides, then found out it basically has no carbs and that I could get more protein from a bar. I get tired of bars all day, so I'm looking for something to replace it now.