Post subject: Re: Hodges closures :(
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:28 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Yep, owner can't build & if it were fenced off, city has to have the key or right to pass on it.

The following user would like to thank luna for his or her post:
sladnas
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:44 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
Lame!! What do you want to bet that just 1 or 2 people at the most made the decision to fence and close that easement road. I can't stand it that these Rangers have this absolute power to close trails with nobody for them to answer to.

Case in point--the SDRP trail that James and I "saw" during our ride is totally closed. The only thing that's "wrong" with it is that the fires burned down the 5 bridges they built over the small drainage washes. The washes "look" like they can be easily crossed.

The real kicker is, is that it's not in the rangers' interest to re-open it. That's just more work for them. It's blatantly obvious: Here we are, 1 year later and nothing has been done to re-open that trail--and there's really nothing wrong with it. I mean, from the looks of it from the road up above it. We didn't ride it. :ninja:

Now I don't mean to just sit back and hate on the rangers. I know they aren't getting rich doing that job and they probably get more people hating on them than anything else. It's just that when this is the kind of crap we have to deal with consistently, the easy thing to do is blame the rangers--and rightly so, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:34 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
PacMan....SDRP is a poorly funded government agency. The rangers and directors work very hard to build trail with the minimal amount of funds they have, the majority of which comes from grants. The portion of trail you rode was built by the developers of the Crosby Estates (adjacent golf course and homes). It was turned over to the SDRP just weeks before the fires in Oct 2007. The SDRP took ownership of the land and trail just before it was destroyed. They also lost trucks and equipment in the fire. SDRP has just now recieved a grant to fund the rebuilding of the bridges and it has gone out to bid. Hopefully, it can be re-opened within the next 6 months as it is an important piece of connector trail on the N-S corridor.

The goal of the SDRP is complete the entire trail system, so of course they would like this section open. I would assume due to liability, they cannot open the trail without the completed bridges. They may not work at the speed the public would like, but they do the best they can with the minimal resources they have. The higher ups in City and County governments who have stripped our open spaces, limited recreational access and ignored the needs of all trail users deserve the blame. Want to do something about it? See....

http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=985
PacMan wrote:
Lame!! What do you want to bet that just 1 or 2 people at the most made the decision to fence and close that easement road. I can't stand it that these Rangers have this absolute power to close trails with nobody for them to answer to.

Case in point--the SDRP trail that James and I "saw" during our ride is totally closed. The only thing that's "wrong" with it is that the fires burned down the 5 bridges they built over the small drainage washes. The washes "look" like they can be easily crossed.

The real kicker is, is that it's not in the rangers' interest to re-open it. That's just more work for them. It's blatantly obvious: Here we are, 1 year later and nothing has been done to re-open that trail--and there's really nothing wrong with it. I mean, from the looks of it from the road up above it. We didn't ride it. :ninja:

Now I don't mean to just sit back and hate on the rangers. I know they aren't getting rich doing that job and they probably get more people hating on them than anything else. It's just that when this is the kind of crap we have to deal with consistently, the easy thing to do is blame the rangers--and rightly so, I think.

The following user would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Brian
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:37 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 126 thanks
Received: 223 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Mojo SL (650b)
Favorite Trails: Thunder Mountain, MRT
As for the SDRP trails, I would add this: The bridges could have been rebuilt sooner if not for environmental concerns about nesting birds on that trail. (The same concern forced the construction of the bridge connecting North and South Hodges to be suspended for several months this year.)

I'm more frustrated with the hyper-environmentalism than the rangers. I sincerely want to ensure that the bird habitat is preserved, it just seems that some government and environmental agencies go a little overboard...