Post subject: Road trip info wanted
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
In April, I'm planning to make my way to Grand Junction, CO and back in a huge loop. I wanted to see if I could get a ride or 4 in along the way.
The plan in my head is to do one ride at the following places:
1. St. George
2. Hurricane
3. Moab
4. Grand Junction/ Fruita area

The way back is through Sedona and Prescott but I know my way there.
Looking for what ONE trail/ride that you would recommend for 2-3 hours that is close to a TH and safe to park at for each area. My wife might be hanging at the car and I'll be riding alone so nothing too crazy if I could even do it. evdog and Tfritz gave me some tips that I have to sort through but anyone else have an idea?

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
St George....Zen Trail (may favorite) if you want to do a little work or Church Rocks which isn't nearly as challenging but has plenty of variety to keep it interesting

Hurricane....JEM Trail. Have your wife drop you off at the top off Hwy 59 and then pick you up in Virgin over off Hwy 9. As long as you're not going against the wind, you should be able to finish this in 45 minutes tops.

Moab....Klondike Bluffs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgJF1pbdMyA or take a trip up to Dead Horse State Park. The trail outside the park is very intermediate but like a race course and super fun. Your wife could hike around or hang out overlooking Dead Horse and Canyonlands.

Grand Junction....Kokopelli Trails https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNyDkDbNFnk are my favorite and right off the freeway but there trails at 18 Road might be better. Tons of flow and you can make lap after lap. There's actually a dirt road to the top and your wife should shuttle you if you don't want to work. Zippity do dah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g3FugnDjpU PBR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxeSUbwWq3o

** Those aren't necessarily the BEST trail options in each area but they fit all the criteria you asked for

The following user would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Great beta K2- Thanks

How long is that ride in St.G? I should be able to ride a bit longer but don't want to keep the wifey just sitting around all day either. It looks like I might be at Moab at the same time as outterbike too. Better reserve hotels now if still available.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
On the way back consider stopping at Mesa Verde National Park, and riding the Phil’s World trails between there and Cortez, right off the highway.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Dirtrider wrote:
Great beta K2- Thanks

How long is that ride in St.G? I should be able to ride a bit longer but don't want to keep the wifey just sitting around all day either. It looks like I might be at Moab at the same time as outterbike too. Better reserve hotels now if still available.

Zen Trail took me about 90 minutes last week. Some people claim the Trail is not easy to follow but I’ve never had that issue. In any case, it’s on the Trailforks app. Church Rocks takes us 1.5-2 hours as well depending on how long we stop to session on the rocks and/or take photos.

As far as ODD’s suggestion, I completely agree with riding Phil’s World in Cortez if you can work it in. Absolutely the best designed trail system I’ve ever ridden and an “intermediate” paradise.

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

So it sounds like I can add in a couple of others if I have time to push it out a bit further. :thumbsup:
The whole trip centers around a 4 day stay at a resort in Gateway, CO with my company. I'm trying to add some biking into the mix. There is a smaller/mild trail system right across the street from the resort but you can't just pass these epic places without at least rolling a tire on them. I can plan another proper trip after I see what they are all about. :cheers:

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Well, if you want to stretch out your time riding, just go to Zen. First off, it's just a few miles off the freeway and requires you to make ONE left turn after getting off the freeway. Canyon View Drive runs right into the "parking lot" for Zen. From there, you can....

Ride Zen in both directions. The "preferred" route is CCW but I rode it CW last week after going CCW first and the finishing downhill made it all worth it. The other option as you can see on the Trailforks app is to ride out the backside to the Bearclaw Poppy and Stuck Springs systems. I've never done them because I heard they aren't very challenging but access looks pretty easy.

The following user would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
You will like Zen. It is challenging yet oddly easy, slick rock-esque, very scenic, close to town and local bike shop, and for a shorter ride very memorable. As K2 said there is way more nearby if you have more time.

-Big Clyde

The following 2 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
The St George/ Hurricane, Pronounced:( Hur ken) Is loaded with epic trails is hard to go wrong with the advice already mentioned in previous posts. I'll add a cool spot for a couple to check out while in the part of Utah is the Pah Tempe hot springs. The prices have gone up, but there's nothing like a soak in the hot springs to melt the highway miles away.
http://pahtempe.org/

Also don't count out Las Vegas, it is not hot yet in April, and there are lot's of good trails to ride while your other half gets a spa day.
https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/80 ... ue-diamond

--Desmond Tutu

The following user would like to thank mongooseboy for his or her post:
Dirtrider