Post subject: Elfin on Botox Review
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:23 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Yesterday I was faced with my last opportunity to ride for a few days, so I went to Elfin for a solo spin. I had not been there in a while. First impression was that the Visitor Center is a nice cool place for the docent and Ranger to hang out. Not bad. Second impression was they have been doing some work out there. A big dumpster took up one of the pull-through spots.

I headed up the Way Up and had a rough time on the beginning technical climb. A few more dismounts than I'm used to. The Carbine's wheelbase length and weight is something I am still getting used to. I need to amplify my power moves on technical climbs compared to the previous bikes. It's OK though since it's descending capabilities more than make up for that. Once past the first big right turn where it flattens out some, it was all groovy.

Past the shaded bench outlook is where I noticed the trail got real smooth. Mixed feelings since it seemed like overkill to me, yet I cleaned that section right after the bench, which I had not done ever.

The botoxing of the trail was not everywhere but in a few distinct places: 1. the descent from the fireroad to Lake Hodges Overlook single track; 2. the steep climb section on a left turn after the big flat rock on Equine Incline going clockwise; and 3. the last steep right-hander on Equine going clockwise that used to be technical and impossible to climb (for me). Spots 2 and 3, and especially 3 were a revelation since I cleaned those pitches easily. Dare I say, I liked the changes.

The descents were great as usual, and more enjoyable on the new ride. It just wants to cruise down fast and is very stable. In the beginning my rear brake was howling, but by the end the crud making it howl got scrubbed off, and everything was copacetic. I had a great time overall out there. :cheers:

-Big Clyde

The following 11 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, Belizean, Big Clyde, Canaan, Dirtrider, Ld00d, OldDogDan, oldskool, Ray Dolor, singletrackmitch