Post subject: Mammoth Summer 2014
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:26 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
We made the annual family pilgrimage to Mammoth for the July 4 week. We headed out on Sunday only to discover (my fault for not checking traffic) that the 215 through Riverside was closed for construction. After a 1.5 hour extra detour, we arrived about 6 pm Sunday. The plan was simple. Ride four of the five days we were there. I had to take out a second mortgage on the house but all 5 of us were riding on Monday.

Monday was an easy day. Lots of Discovery chair rides with the kids, getting our skills sharpened. The best part for me was the fact that 2 years earlier, my wife discovered down hill rides are a lot of fun so she rode the same routes as the kids over and over. It did not take long before I was getting hounded for bigger rides. So off to the gondola and up four of us went (the fifth stayed with his friend below). We hit off the top and had a blast. Nothing fast, just great scenery, cruising and lots of stops for 1.5 hours.

Obligatory semi family portrait at the 11,053 feet.

We took Tuesday off to recover from the altitude and a few injuries but hit it hard Wednesday through Friday. My littlest one really wanted an adventure so I took him down Recoil to Twilight Zone. We took our time and avoided the rocks through the trees but he had a blast!. We wound out doing it twice that day. I spent most of the day riding/waiting with him.

My two older were jealous so I dedicated all of Friday afternoon with them. I got to do my own thing most of Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. We hit all sorts of stuff. Break Through to Ricochet, Recoil to Twilight, newly opened Richter, and for the end of the day, (one happy dad here) Flow to Pipeline to Shotgun. Not at top speed but HELL YEAH they have discovered the joy of rocks, drops, stunts, and danger!

My daughter has started a bucket list and is methodically checking off all of the trails. Her goal is to ride all of them if possible. A few will not be happening for multiple years but I wouldn't be surprised when she comes to me with the completed list. OK, on with the slide/movie show..

Dev rocking the 29r on Seven Bridges

Mason proving he as mastered the drop

Dev and Mason on the cuttoff trail from Chair 2 over to Break Through. Lots of good exposure handled like champs!

Rock roll on upper Recoil off of Stump Alley/Chair 2

Powering their way through Ricochet

When we tackled Twilight zone, there are a few intimidating obstacles for a rider. Be it the 8 ft high bridge in lower Twilight, the huge, elevated wood berm, or just the various drops, all were handled by them without stopping.

Twilight S-turns

The Berm

By the end of the day on Friday we made the final ride. Take the gondola to mid-station and head over to Break Though-Flow-Pipeline-Shotgun.
Other than the climb in the beginning of Break Through, they rode it with no problems. I was a little hesitant to take them down Flow but figured why not? We can walk what we can't handle. The first part of Flow is not for most and definitely not for us. We entered at the log rollover. Dev was fine and it caught Mason a little off guard but both successfully rolled it.

The section is so loose, you would get better traction riding the sand at Mission Beach. We walked part and then stopped to watch the crazy downhillers hit the huge drop. After we went on to Pipeline. Too much fun for pictues but all of it was rollable and we had a great time. The final section was Shotgun. They learned the joy of endless step drops. Again, too much fun for pictures so you just have to go ride it for yourself if you don't already know.

Now I have to wait an entire year to be able to ride with them in Mammoth again. The best part is I am not relegated to riding the Discovery Trails or bailing on them. Now they can ride with the big boys. Our next big ticket item will be Skid Marks. It was not open until late Friday and they were too tired to hit it. 2014 was great. I bet 2015 ROCKS!!!

The following 11 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
abzillah, ajdonner, avidtest, b5driver, chuckanado, Dirtrider, jhardeman, K2Brandon, Lanceuppercut, quaestionis, rob240z