It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:38 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1313 thanks
Received: 2401 thanks
Favorite Trails: cactus to clouds
My alarm went off at 4:15am, but i was already awake.
I could tell it was wet outside from the sound of the cars driving on wet pavement.
honestly, i didnt even think twice about loading my bike and all my gear onto and into the car in the pouring rain in the dark. I had been preparing for this trip for weeks it seemed, and the day was finally here. I got dropped off in pine valley and the rain was intermittent, and the clouds were awesome. We planned on an eight o clock start, .. so rain or shine, we are off. The trashbags were a good idea. We woulda been screwed with wet sleeping bags and a bunch of soggy stuff. It was a heavy mist most of the way up noble canyon.

Climbing noble is a must. Its like having an in depth conversation with an old uncle that you've known but have never "really" known. Its a good way to learn a lot about it i think.
Water was flowing in the creek.
However, When we arrived at penny pines The water from the well pump must have been frozen because it was dead, no water. which sucked because we needed to fill our bladders and bottles for the rest of the day, night and morning. We had climbed empty to conserve energy by ditching that weight. We looked at each other like .. NOOO! as Barcy was stepping on the lever. It wouldnt have been that big of a deal to just ride to laguna campground and fill up normally, but it was freezing, raining, and so windy. It seriously hurt. We even attempted to go but after about a half a mile we discussed our options and decided to take our chances elsewhere. From this point up until we started descending pct was brutal. "Gale force winds" became our sorta phrase for the weekend due to this section. I cramped up trying to fight it.

I was finally able to pull the camera back out and catch this shot. Most of this upper section was to intense to even think about photos. check out the wind ripples on his pack.

P.C.T to Oro flame.
This whole descent is amazing. You can FLY down Oro flame, but i guess most people climb it.
Going from in the clouds to under the clouds was a good feeling, but nothing like the feeling from witnessing all this, and just being present for something that i don't always get to see.

here is another from Oro flame.

You know the feeling of a long ass down hill run. Your hands or forearms may cramp up and you'll most likely need to get some circulation flowing back to your finger.
We hit the pavement of the old stage coach route and headed southish for awhile.
We were playing it by ear so to speak regarding the water thing. Still up in the air. Do we ride past our camp to fill up for the night or just try and make do.
We were pulled over discussing this when an RV pulled up and a woman asked if everything was cool and if we needed water. Actually i cant remember if Barcy asked if they had any or if she offered it, either way we got some. They kicked down a whole gallon.
It was sweet but we ended up going to refill anyway. We made great time and still had some daylight left so why not. after all im gonna need water for diner, hot tea, breakfast and a cup of coffee or two ;)

As the sun was setting i sat and watched the clouds racing over the mountains that we just came down from.
Time to prepare for the night.

food, fire, whiskey, and tales of an epic day are how day one ended.

Last edited by gabriel keating on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

The following 32 users would like to thank gabriel keating for his or her post:
amor587, Augdogg, avidtest, bajamtnbkr, bankerboy, Belizean, Canaan, dingus kong, Earache, FatWhat?, his highness, jhardeman, JunkBoy, K2Brandon, Kimba, KIMO, Lanceuppercut, Ld00d, mtb wannabe, No Bad Rides, OldDogDan, racerbill, Ray Dolor, ride00, rob240z, santeemtnbkr, Scarbery Rdr, singletrackmitch, Slowgrind, tfitz, ValE, Valley Boy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:57 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

that's not true, it was northish.

The following user would like to thank gabriel keating for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1042 thanks
Received: 649 thanks
Bike(s): Remedy 7/GF Ferrous/7.6 FX
Favorite Trails: Thunder MTN Utah, A-Line, RH
Awesome! :thumbsup:

The following user would like to thank amor587 for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 186 thanks
Received: 101 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti SB95C, Yeti SB95
Favorite Trails: Los Gatos to Noble
You guys inspire me.

The following user would like to thank Dirt Pedaller for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
A true epic, thanks for taking the time to share this Gabriel :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The following user would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:52 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5233 thanks
Received: 1042 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
It gets better every time you post it!

This version beats emptybeer version hands-down.

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:03 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 990 thanks
Received: 102 thanks
Bike(s): BMC Trailfox 1.0
Favorite Trails: so far any
Could you possibly post a map of the route.
Cool beans on your epic adventure esp all the climbing you did!

The following user would like to thank ValE for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:35 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 202 thanks
Received: 253 thanks
Bike(s): Scott DH sled
Favorite Trails: Pachea,Idy, ATT
I wanna do this.

The following user would like to thank Mpmffitz for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:31 pm 
Beer and Bacon Authority
Beer and Bacon Authority

Given: 1359 thanks
Received: 1291 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance SX/Giant TCX
Favorite Trails: No say...
One thing for sure, Gabriel, you deliver the goods! Thanks for sharing your awesome adventure with Barcy. I look forward to the next TR/pics.

The following 2 users would like to thank singletrackmitch for his or her post:
Belizean, gabriel keating
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:52 pm 
Man of Liesure
Man of Liesure

Given: 4069 thanks
Received: 1942 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpjumper 29er
Favorite Trails: Calavera,Chaa Creek Bze
singletrackmitch wrote:
One thing for sure, Gabriel, you deliver the goods! Thanks for sharing your awesome adventure with Barcy. I look forward to the next TR/pics.

Love the brother, he rolled by my pad this morning with a pair of socks for me; now my wife loves him even more :) "oh honey, that was so nice of him" :D
Iron mtn was calling :cheers:

The following user would like to thank Belizean for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:45 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

thanks everybody. @Ray, i dont know what emptybeer is, so i searched it and the only thing i found was on mtbr. but no report. DUUUDE I just literally right this second realized what that means! ...M T B R! ha ha funny. @ValE, Yes, I think barcy sent me a pic on my email i'll look for.
@mpmffitz, you should! and now is a great time. @Mitch, Thanks man, im uploading my photos from day two right now so i might have it done tonight. 3 days total. @ Fred, Funny. Everybodys probly like "socks"? wtf? Yeah Iron was calling. I have a few pics i want to post of sage from today. She likes the rain as much as i do.

The following 5 users would like to thank gabriel keating for his or her post:
Belizean, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, singletrackmitch, ValE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:29 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

The wind must have been blowing 40 miles per hour. My stove, pot and fuel bottle were just outside my tent and i seriously considered, that they might be gone in the morning if i didn't bring them inside. My feet were frozen, but mostly due as a consequence from bringing only a 3/4 sleeping pad instead of a full length pad. I just had my feet dangling into the cold obis.

I gotta get back to little blare valley to camp sometime soon. this place is so amazing. I would spend one day riding granite mountain thats for sure. The other day exploring petroglyphs and
home stead sights. and maybe a third day relaxing with some cold beverages.
Hit the Highway around 8am and made a quick stop at the country store before hitting the dirt.(or sand i should say). We used their hose for a drive train rinse and were on our way.
If you talk to any one that has done this route, their opinions are very similar.
And the fact is, that this place is seasonal (for mtb's). Even with some precipitation the day before, our trek up and over was taxing.
I'm pretty sure i have seen a post from Big Clyde before, on an orange motor cycle out in the desert with his kid. So naturaly i thought when this dude on an orange motor cycle breaks off from another guy on an orange motor cycle to come and say something that it was big Clyde,
and im like ..WHAT UP!! all like i know this guy. he didn't say anything for a few seconds, just sitting on his bike that had already been turned off. Just staring at me through a full helmet and goggles. took a minute but Yeah, it wasn't him, this was a random dude just asking for some directions.

great views up at the second saddle.
This descent is unique i think in a way that you can see the gradient all around you, all sloping and funneling into the depths of the canyon. A descent worth every step up that sand wash road.

This canyon is the type of place that forces me to think and ponder about this earth
and this universe and this life. Its got that kind of vibe.

It becomes a fun game of find the hard pack. And when you do its enough to put a smile on your face.
this was the last photo i snapped for this day. i don't know why, maybe it was the tequila, or the spiced rum. We met this Crew about 6 miles from camp. They had just wrapped up a ride and were chilling in the shade of there vehicles having some drinks. I'll never forget this encounter and the time we spent hanging with this group. It truly was like finding an oasis in the desert, ..with a party happening at it. They were also camping at our camp and we fell subject to some of the kindest hospitality one can receive. It was surreal. Guitars and food. drinks and some good conversations, all mostly about mountain biking. I slept so good on this night. set my tent up in some softer sand. made a modification to prevent another night of frozen feet, and had a full belly. not to mention i did tie on a nice little buzz.
good night.

The following 16 users would like to thank gabriel keating for his or her post:
amor587, avidtest, Big Clyde, Canaan, dingus kong, Dirtrider, DWill, Earache, Kimba, KIMO, Ld00d, OldDogDan, rob240z, singletrackmitch, torsp, TrailBurner
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:03 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1511 thanks
Received: 1049 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot 429 - Stumpy FSR
Favorite Trails: Over, Under, Sideways, Down
I think most of us could agree on the application of the term *Epic* here (including the party!)... fantastic TR and images!
May I ask what you carried in terms of parts and tools - and did you have any serious mech issues?

The following user would like to thank Earache for his or her post:
gabriel keating
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:57 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Thanks man, it was tough deciding which photos to upload because i took about a hundred and fifty. Everything is just so damn photogenic. But as far as mechanicals, ... i needed to tighten my cassette on day three about 5 miles from the salton sea, other than that, some how, no mechanical issues. I brought a bunch of tools but not any to fix that properly. I did however attempt to tighten it with my multi tool. it got me there. But yeah, extra shifter cables, some spare brake pads two tubes, a patch kit. oil and rag. something that i always carry is a small vice grip. that thing has saved me more times than i can remember. its like a third hand. extra master links and some chain links. even brought a chain tool. knife. Bleed block. im switching over to mechanical disc before the next trip. I think its a no brainer. im done with brake fluid. no more air bubbles no more limp lever. Not that i had a problem with it on this trip but as we all know brake failure can be a real buzz kill. oh yeah i also brought some extra velcro straps and a few zip ties, ..and a spoke wrench too. My little tool bag was heavy, but worth it i think.

The following 2 users would like to thank gabriel keating for his or her post:
Earache, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:07 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5233 thanks
Received: 1042 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
gabriel keating wrote:
Thanks man, it was tough deciding which photos to upload because i took about a hundred and fifty. Everything is just so damn photogenic. But as far as mechanicals, ... i needed to tighten my cassette on day three about 5 miles from the salton sea, other than that, some how, no mechanical issues. I brought a bunch of tools but not any to fix that properly. I did however attempt to tighten it with my multi tool. it got me there. But yeah, extra shifter cables, some spare brake pads two tubes, a patch kit. oil and rag. something that i always carry is a small vice grip. that thing has saved me more times than i can remember. its like a third hand. extra master links and some chain links. even brought a chain tool. knife. Bleed block. im switching over to mechanical disc before the next trip. I think its a no brainer. im done with brake fluid. no more air bubbles no more limp lever. Not that i had a problem with it on this trip but as we all know brake failure can be a real buzz kill. oh yeah i also brought some extra velcro straps and a few zip ties, ..and a spoke wrench too. My little tool bag was heavy, but worth it i think.

I'm with you on the brake thing. I have done just fine with the mechs for many years, and am only now on a set of hydros because they came on a bike I purchased last year. No real problem with them yet, aside from their horrendous squealing noises, but no real improvement in modulation either. And certainly no more power than the old BB7's

So, when these brakes become dead, it's back to the latest iteration of the old BB7's for me.

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
gabriel keating