All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:12 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23310 thanks
Received: 17391 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
A friend of mine organizes a Laguna campout every year at this time. Her main requirement is women, wine, dogs & bikes. Families and men are welcome, but optional. It is always fun and relaxed, with great folks.

It was interesting this year, because the meadows were prematurely brown, but yet there were still quite a few recently bloomed flowers.
It was getting hot, but there was a really good breeze, and the place is just so damn beautiful.
I nearly always run into DirtTreaders at BLT. This is Scott aka b5driver on his Yeti at the top of Los Gatos. I think this may have been the first time I've climbed Chico Ravine to the top without ever pausing or dropping into granny gear. Pretty damn slow, but steady. I will take any small victory I can get over decrepitude.
Seemed appropriate...a little out of focus, but so was I.
We were camped at a group site right next to a fenced-off habitat area for the Laguna Skipper butterfly, so I was hoping this was one, but it's not (I looked it up later). This is called a California Sister. We saw a very large and handsome Southern Pacific rattler on the BLT, a beautiful chocolate brown, but it got off the trail into tall grass before I could get my camera out, rattling as it went. I've never seen a rattler that big move that fast, so I didn't try to follow him into the grass for a picture.
Relaxed lap around BLT this morning. Back at camp, Carl headed out again for Los Gatos on his single speed before we left. I wasnt feeling energetic, and even with him on an ss, there's no way I could keep up with him climbing Chico. But I still wanted to ride more, and I wanted to try a trail I'd never done, so I packed up and parked at Pioneer Mail to do a solo Champagne Pass loop...even though I knew it was going to be much longer and harder than Chico, and in the hottest part of the day.
View headed to Champagne Pass. I did not see anyone else on this ride until I intercepted the Noble Canyon trail much later. I climbed a section of steep fireroad to access the Pine Mountain singletrack. I didn't realize I could've climbed pavement a little ways further and then cut back on all singletrack. Once I got on Pine Mountain trail, it was a really nice trail contouring upward, that even I could climb in the middle ring, which was a relief.
I got here sooner and easier than expected. The descent down Indian Creek was a blast, and I learned why it's called Pinball. It was top gear, flying over rolling dips and through scattered loose rock. I really had to curb my enthusiasm though, because I did not want to screw up way out here by myself.
The climb out of Indian Creek up to Noble was beautiful. Very narrow singletrack, lots of flowers - lupine, Indian paintbrush, ceanothus, and firecracker weed here.
Paleface looking mighty red on Indian Creek. I never had to walk the bike, but I took short breaks in the scant shade. I was feeling pretty overheated at this point, so I took a picture of myself to see how red I was. Very, so I drank lots more water and electrolyte. After the three road crossings, I was tempted to hit the FS road out to the highway, but continued uphill over to Penny Pines, thinking how good water from that faucet would feel on my head. And it did.
White line fever on the highway back to Pioneer Mail, lunch and iced coffee. I had thought it was a day use fee area and had a fiver ready, but it was an Adventure Pass lot, and I didn't have a pass. As I started out, a ranger pulled in, so I stopped him, and he said not to worry about it. Nice. A good day.

The following 24 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
abzillah, ajdonner, avidtest, b5driver, bajamtnbkr, Big Clyde, Canaan, Christ D., chuckanado, couchracer, Dirtrider, Kimba, Ld00d, OhNooo, parker2011, pgFA, project_d, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, rob240z, singletrackmitch, slingshot, Slowgrind, tfitz
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:32 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10530 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Great TR as always Dan. Sounds like you really enjoyed the day out there

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:32 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 836 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti 575
Favorite Trails: singletrack
Great day out there yesterday, nice to run into a familiar face towards the end of our ride. We ran into a couple of rattlers too on BLT. Tis the season I guess.

The following user would like to thank b5driver for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:41 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1575 thanks
Received: 1653 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
Friends, bikes, camping, some exploring, beer and coffee... Posts like this make me happy!

The following 2 users would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
OldDogDan, slingshot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:59 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 3 thanks
Received: 22 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Fuel 9.7 29er!
Favorite Trails: Sycamore, Calaveras, Laguna
Ha Ha! I just want to be clear, the priority would be on single men if any would show up - just sayin'! But after that, Dan is absolutely right! Dogs, Wine, and Bikes!!

The following user would like to thank LeucadianGirl for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5220 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
I was up there yesterday, too, but it seemed pretty hot to me. Climbs that I usually just scamper up I was walking, so I headed back to the Ray-van and kicked back in the shade until around 3:30, and then rode the Los Gatos Chico loop.
I guess I can add heat to conditions I don't tolerate too well.

BTW, for those of you who camp up there, BLT and connected trails makes for a blast of a night-ride!
Not to mention the Perfect Cycling Trail.

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23310 thanks
Received: 17391 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
LeucadianGirl wrote:
Ha Ha! I just want to be clear, the priority would be on single men if any would show up - just sayin'! But after that, Dan is absolutely right! Dogs, Wine, and Bikes!!

Well all right...joined two years ago and we now get the first post! She organizes this and pays for the groupsite herself, then just asks her camping friends to donate to California State Parks instead of paying her. But I changed it up this year and donated to the IMBA Access Fund instead. I figure if she ever reads this comment she might like it.

[BTW, if anyone wants to try that short Champagne Pass loop sometime while up at BLT, I reckon from the map (no GPS for me) that it's about 9 miles and 1500' elevation change.]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:17 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 3 thanks
Received: 22 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Fuel 9.7 29er!
Favorite Trails: Sycamore, Calaveras, Laguna
Finally on the site (again) and re-read this post - what nice pictures Dan!! Thanks for the memories!

The following user would like to thank LeucadianGirl for his or her post:
OldDogDan