All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR: Hurkey Hurt Me
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:44 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
So, Myself, Gregmulvihill, Sasquatch, Quietstorm, Rachel, and SQ's dad hit Hurkey. Ouch kinda gnarly. Because of technical issues Gregmulvihill and myself deviated from the group at around the 2.5 mile mark, so this report will only encompass our ride, maybe Sasquatch or Quietstorm can fill in?

Any way, we took the single-track from the campground up to the first fire road, stayed straight onto singletrack, rode down and flat for a while, and then the real pain began. We climbed that horrid peak, with singletrack routes at least 1/2 the way up, then a vicious paved road with a grade so steep!!!!!!!!!!!! How do they get the asphalt to stick? Gregmulvihill absolutley destroyed that climb!!!!!!! I had two sections where I just couldnt pedal anymore (on paved road mind-you). That last 1.5 miles reminded me of the fireroad at the top of Cowles, only longer, steeper, and paved. I should have eaten somewhere in the climbing frenzy prior to the last 2 miles of climbing at the peak, but we were on a mission. We rested for about 10 mins at the top and then began the trek back down the mountain, where we realized that down actually meant down and up and down and up, legs not working, growing desperate for energy/stregnth, alas the main fireroad, then Greg decides he needs more extra-credit. My jaw dropped. I begged him to show me the way home on his garmin. We split up, he went to do some more singletrack stuff while I headed back to the cars with 22 miles and hunger.
I realized I was probably in over my head when breaking off with greg, but the ride ended up being great. Props to Gregmulvihill for being an incredibly strong climber/all-around. THIS GUY CAN RIDE!!!!!!!

So I will post one boring video, still ironing out the kinks with this camera. I think Gregmulvihill has some footage too

http://vimeo.com/2321915

Attachments:
Hurkey Top.JPG
Hurkey Top.JPG [ 246.39 KiB | Viewed 4189 times ]

The following 11 users would like to thank jjthewhale for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Dirty Boo, jonathan_sykes81, moondogg, OffRoadie, OldDogDan, QuietStorm, Red Hot Sloth, schleppp, sladnas, thrillride
 Post subject: Re: TR: Hurkey Hurt Me
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
How do you like the new set-up, JJ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:31 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
JJ The Whale having difficulty climbing?! Did I read that correctly?! It can't be true, I refuse to believe it.
Hows the new kidney saver treating you JJ The Whale?
Thanks for the TR, pic and vid JJ The Whale.
I soo wish I could have made this ride. I'm glad you all got to go and have a great albeit taxing ride. I look forward to seeing some more pics and hear impressions from other riders as they watched JJ The Whale kill the climbs...
:thumbsup:

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
DHP
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:10 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
Phonger wrote:

Its great Phonger, the energy savings from not having to constantly stand seems to balance out with the extra weight on the climbs --- Almost. Defnitely gonna need to upgrade stuff but thatwas the point. Im loving it.

Hey RHS, those days are over, its all even now :D

The following 2 users would like to thank jjthewhale for his or her post:
DHP, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:52 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Told you that paved climb is a killer! Nice video JJ, I was able to vicariously enjoy upper Southridge. This invalid thanks you!

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 127 thanks
Received: 472 thanks
Bike(s): stumpy 29er
Favorite Trails: Blowing Springs
Thanks to all of those who came and sorry I was late to everyone who came. JJ, how did you get back to the cars? I hope you got to hit up Exfoliator and the rest that follows.
Now on to my half of the TR: I woke up late and ended up making Greg and JJ wait around an hour, I know LAME! Anyway Rachel, QS, my dad and I show up and hang with the other two for about the first quarter of the first climb. I feel so bad for delaying them and agreed that they should go ahead and get the whole ride in. After that we nursed three colds along the race course till we got to May Valley rd and turned up the hill, I found out that the trail I thought was Southridege is actually not, but it is very fun. After that trail, some sections a couple of times, we discovered a new trail and went for it. This trail was very short, but oh-so sweet! As luck would have it, this trail dumped us out very close to the begining of Exfoliator. The weather was beautiful and the company was great, I can't wait to get back to Hurkey Creek and get the whole Southridge Trail in.

The following 2 users would like to thank Sasqwatch for his or her post:
QuietStorm, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:31 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
jjthewhale wrote:
Phonger wrote:

Its great Phonger, the energy savings from not having to constantly stand seems to balance out with the extra weight on the climbs --- Almost. Defnitely gonna need to upgrade stuff but thatwas the point. Im loving it.

yeah, but was it

dy-no-mite?

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth