Post subject: Santa Cruz trip
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:33 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 252 thanks
Bike(s): Chumba XCL, Tassajara
Favorite Trails: La Costa
I went up to Santa Cruz with my friend Thunder last weekend for some forest riding.

We just flew up for the weekend since a good friend of ours opted for an apartment full of bikes instead of a wife and kids. Smart guy.

On Saturday we did a couple loops at Soquel Demonstration Forest. We mainly were there to ride a trail called 'Braille' which is a pretty awesome 'freeride' type trail full of stunt and stuff.

To get anywhere at 'Demo' you need to pay dearly, right off the bat you climb about 1500ft on paved and dirt roads for a few miles. Once at the top you're greeted with prime forest singletrack.

This trail is called 'Ridge' as it follows the ridgeline and the remaining trails drop off to the north side.

Another arty-farty shot of Ridge that I already shared. I was rocking an iPhone for my camera the whole time and this is about as good a picture you can get with it.

After a mile or two on Ridge you get to the junction for Braille and there's some stunts already waiting for you. We had a lot of fun on this seesaw and it built up some confidence for us.

These next two pics were from Braille. You can see there's a ton of fun stuff to play on. Drops are everywhere and range from 'easy for a wuss like me' to 'holy crap who does that?' I particularly liked riding all the skinnies. I guess messing around on the curbs in front of my house paid off!

The next day we rode in Santa Cruz on a trail system best described as an 'unofficial bike park'. Think Calavera for the type of stuff you find out here. Very high trail density with an anything goes attitude. Trails are constantly in flux here as the trail gnomes and their enemies continually battle.

Here we are climbing up the U-Conn trail (only trail I'm gonna name from here on out). We were hurting, yes. 3000ish feet of climbing the day before was about 5x my normal amount. :lol:

Water tanks at the top. A little more arty than ours. ;)

End of the second day, Thunder coming down to the tracks for the ride back to the parking lot.

Finally, a shot of my old bike. Now nicely setup for playing around town. We did a little ride to scope out the beach before heading out to hop the plane.

The following 9 users would like to thank PaulChavez for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, badkittyjing, bankerboy, Belizean, Kimba, OldDogDan, Phonger, Red Hot Sloth
 Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz trip
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 108 thanks
Received: 215 thanks
Bike(s): Kona Coiler De-Lux
Favorite Trails: Single track down hill.
Luv their dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:44 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Yeah conditions were great. They got a bunch of rain the same time we did a couple weeks ago and by the time we were up there everything had dried out and traction was awesome. Plus it's just awesome to be riding under a cool canopy at 2pm instead of baking in the damn sun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:47 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
I miss SC riding! Thanks for the TR.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23310 thanks
Received: 17390 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
PaulChavez wrote:
The next day we rode in Santa Cruz on a trail system best described as an 'unofficial bike park'. Think Calavera for the type of stuff you find out here. Very high trail density with an anything goes attitude. Trails are constantly in flux here as the trail gnomes and their enemies continually battle.

Yes. All is not good vibes in the redwood paradise. One of the sets of graffitied tanks says "Shred waves, not the forest". And pedaling down the road back into town an a**hole in a Ford Ranger intentionally cut it close, almost clipping us with his side mirror. But that was not enough to bring down the riding high we were on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:40 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Hehe that sounds like normal Santa Cruz. Went back there last winter and had forgotten the sketchier parts of that town. At least the riding is kick ass! :cheers:

The following user would like to thank PaulChavez for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23310 thanks
Received: 17390 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ Funny, it wasn't until I re-read your TR that I realized that what I thought my friend called the Yukon trail is the U-Conn trail. Which of course makes more sense. He knew the name of that, but we were off the map on the others. a lot of climbing to get to them, but kick-ass trails definitely'