It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: IRON MT....SANITIZED
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:51 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
well said evdog!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:10 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 127 thanks
Received: 472 thanks
Bike(s): stumpy 29er
Favorite Trails: Blowing Springs
his highness wrote:
1- did SDMBA know about the ongoing trail work?

Nope.

his highness wrote:

2- what are they planning to do about it from here on out?

They? Don't you mean 'we'? Get involved with SDMBA and ask them these questions. Or use a little patience and wait till the process gets going to find out. Asking us on this site may not get you the answers you want, but in the process may piss somebody off. I see the frustration about trail loss in your posts and sympathize with you. Others might not, they may see your posts as temper tantrums or personal attacks.

The following 2 users would like to thank Sasqwatch for his or her post:
Canaan, his highness
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:27 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
his highness wrote:
5 pages of posts, and only ONE damn person steps up so far.

Should people not from the city of Poway be attending this meeting? If I've never been on Iron Mountain, should I still attend the meeting? Will it mean anything for me to attend the meeting, not having anything to say because I have no first hand experience with Iron Mountain?

I'm not any less outraged that a trail has been destroyed, but if it will make a difference for me to attend a meeting and simply sit and listen, I'll attend. If it's power in numbers, then I'll attend.

Otherwise, it would be pretty pointless for me to attend. Unless of course, a meeting by this user group (mountain bikers) is called PRIOR to the meeting, so that everyone can get on the same page and can present a united front. It'd seem kind of dumb for people to just randomly show up for the sake of showing up.

This high and mighty attitude of "I'm doing something and you're not" might actually turn people off, you know...

his highness wrote:

I think for question #1 ~ They probably didn't because there isn't a liaison for this area from SDMBA. I believe Evan pointed that out in his post.

For question #2 ~ I'm interested to hear about this as well. Since there was a meeting last night (that I didn't attend), I'm hoping there will be some information forthcoming as to what we, as members, can do to contribute.

The following user would like to thank badkittyjing for his or her post:
his highness
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:40 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 40 thanks
Received: 42 thanks
Bike(s): 2006 Turner RFX
Favorite Trails: SB Front Range
Italo,

Just a word to the wise. It's not good to use "quotes" when reading between the lines. Quotes indicate an actual quotation not an interpretation.

Also I didn't interpret Evan's post or Aqua's intentions as 'keeping us in the dark for our own good'. I viewed it has keeping POSSIBLE/PROBABLE unknown agitators out of the loop for the TRAIL'S good.

Anybody can share information when and how they want to. I'm sure you have kept information to yourself because at the time you felt it was unwise to "lay all your cards on the table". We all discriminate that way, sometimes wisely and sometimes not so wisely.

Also, this 'secret info' is only secret insofar as those who didn't ride Iron this week. Go ahead and ride Iron and the 'secret' is no longer secret. Then any information you have is your own and YOU can choose to do what you want with that info. It's pretty straightforward. Then you can post pics and close fisted outrage to alleviate (or exasperate) any frustrations the community has. But to post pics or emails that aren't yours to post in the first place is bad form. (I'm not accusing you of doing this or advocating this Italo). And for others (again not necessarily you Italo) to demand the information should be publicized by the holder of that information is personal infringement if that information is his or hers alone to decide.

For those who disagree with withholding, go ahead and hike up Iron yourself and make the 'secret' information your own. Then do what you will with it. Just try to exercise some wisdom. The last part is again not necessarily for you Italo as if I"m accusing you of doing anything ill-advised, I'm not. It's just a friendly reminder to all that information is personal and sometimes our judgment is to keep it personal, right or wrong.

Peace, and I mean that.
Tom

The following 6 users would like to thank mouse jockey for his or her post:
Aquaholic, Canaan, cjsbsub, evdog, his highness, Ratigan
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:57 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
ocd wrote:
I'm sure that someone, somewhere probably had ideas about what was going on here.

If I could only find somewhere so I could know who someone is?! :lol:

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you " Kurt Cobain

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:24 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
406 wrote:
ocd wrote:
I'm sure that someone, somewhere probably had ideas about what was going on here.

If I could only find somewhere so I could know who someone is?! :lol:

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you " Kurt Cobain

Unfortunately, i was correct, SDMBA did know but thankfully kept all of us "safe"

As for the childish insults. Just that, childish. Grow up dude.

The following user would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
Scott Forty G.
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 am 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2661 thanks
Received: 3679 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
mouse jockey wrote:
Italo,

Just a word to the wise.

Tom

Thank you Tom, I appreciate your advice (as well as everyone else's) and have taken it strongly into consideration.
It is truly good advice.

Its no secret that my passion for this sport is what drives me to be so 'vocal' (for lack of better words) in my posts, comments, etc.
And I do feel an apology is due to you all (EVERYONE who has witnessed this thread), since it is very evident that somewhere along the lines, my passion got the best of me and my points/goals were possibly lost, shrouded and/or misunderstood.
So, I offer my sincere apologies for misquoting, misstating, and misleading anyone or anything.

But the true essence of my original post remains;
This was not a witch hunt, it was solely a quest for information via two simple questions.

I love Iron Mt. more than anyone could possibly imagine, and I am deeply saddened that even one single rock on that trail was removed, much less 2 or more.
Iron is the one place that offered something to me (personally) that no other trail offered to me here in San Diego.
All I want to do is ensure that this does not ever happen again, and that we are able to obtain some sort of 'compensation' (perhaps in the form of another trail), for our loss (as land users; mtb'rs, hikers, joggers, etc.) at Iron Mt.

The following user would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
mouse jockey
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:39 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
his highness wrote:
I ask two simple questions and it gets turned into 'blind accusations' , 'finger pointing' and inevitably a 'train-wreck' of a thread.

is it really that hard to answer that?
please go back through all MY posts and please show me where I deviate from my point;
(did sdmba know, what is their position, and what are they doing about it). Sure, I gave my opinion about what I thought they should do...but never once accused them of anything.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY IRON MT IS GONE...BECAUSE IT TAKES 6 PAGES OF THREAD TO PRODUCE ANSWERS TO TWO SIMPLE FUCKIN QUESTIONS....
Good job Evan, you are an absolute hero, you posted a nice warm and cozy explanation to the whole situation and also managed to make it out like I started a witch hunt....that was very 'politician' of you.

did anyone else read this between Evan's lines?

"we kept you in the dark for your own good"

...what the fuck are you 'guys' now...the government? that shit doesnt float with me.....

Didn't take 6 pages. I answered your question on page 2.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:47 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
endo wrote:

thanks endo, great start!

these and other pictures from before (even single frame pics from a video camera), and now pictures of after (same camera angles) will document the changes. as, if not more, important would be current pictures to show what is still the same. should work continue at some point we would have documentation the city has broken it's word.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:51 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Regarding your 2 questions Italo:

Did SDMBA know? As far as I know, they did not. Certainly not before any of the emails that went out on Monday.

What is SDMBA planning to do about it from here on out? Lets see...you asked this question yesterday afternoon. The SDMBA meeting was not until last night. If you do the math, could it be possible that SDMBA did not know what it would do yet, because its Board had not yet met to discuss the issue? That seems like a logical conclusion to me.

Now that the meeting has happened, "what is SDMBA planning to do" is a valid question. By the way, why were you not there Italo? Did you not say yesterday you would be attending future SDMBA meetings? I was there; no one who has been bitching about SDMBA in this thread bothered to show up. Well, by Mouse Jockey's logic, what I heard discussed at the meeting then is my personal info, so you can fuck off :lol:

Seriously, though, I am not a SDMBA board member or officer, so it is not my place to speak on their behalf.

My personal opinion on what should happen next:

1) Keep our eyes open and make sure the work is actually halted.
2) Let the dust settle

3a) If the work starts up again, then we can raise hell to City Council and get people out to the next meeting. I think it is very important though to get a ton of hikers involved too. Without them we are just a minority user group, most of whose members are not even from Poway, bitching about some trail work that none of the other users care enough about to show up.

3b) If no further work is done up there, then our short term goal is met.

4) A long term goal is to develop a working relationship with the City of Poway. We need a SDMBA liaison who can help keep tabs on things, and we need people to get involved. This will be a long term process and will require effort of a lot of people. We need to build a relationship, build trust, and try to educate them on what trail users want and what the most current, sustainable trail maintenance techniques are.

Taking a completely aggro approach, with masses of angry bikers descending on City Hall demanding that Ellie Lane be given over to bikes as compensation is not gonna get anyone anywhere, except tossed out of City Hall for good.

The following 3 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
badkittyjing, cjsbsub, jSatch
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:54 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
rodster wrote:
Didn't take 6 pages. I answered your question on page 2.

you're 9 hrs ahead, what took you so long? slacker.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:22 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 40 thanks
Received: 42 thanks
Bike(s): 2006 Turner RFX
Favorite Trails: SB Front Range
his highness wrote:
...All I want to do is ensure that this does not ever happen again...

So do I brother, so do I.

Ensurance is harder to come by than Insurance (and more expensive too).

The following user would like to thank mouse jockey for his or her post:
his highness
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
Well, now you guys did it.

You're making me take off work right now, just becuase I haven't been to Iron in a long time. So, I'm taking my dog and hiking that trial today....

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:41 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
wear a helmet! or teach your dog to go for help

The following 3 users would like to thank Los for his or her post:
Canaan, rob240z, Scarbery Rdr
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:06 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
Los wrote:
wear a helmet! or teach your dog to go for help

If I fall down walking I've got some serious issues.

I mean I've done that before, but there were other factors involved.

I've taught my dog many things. Like just this morning I was standing in line at a outdoor coffee shop next thing you know my dog has his head up some girls skirt.

I said sorry he probably just smelld your dog. She looked at me kind of weird just as I was giving him a cookie as a reward and said "I don't have a dog" . Go figure... :mrgreen:

The following 5 users would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
Los, mtbchip, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth, rodster
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next