It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: IRON MT....SANITIZED
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:00 am 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2657 thanks
Received: 3676 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
I say that we push for the City of Poway to designate Ellie Lane as a 100% MTB USE ONLY trail, and grant local mtb'rs the authority to maintain/sustain it....this would be an act of good faith by the City to make up for them 'accidentally' (<cough> <bullshit>) F'CKIN UP the Iron Mt. line.

It doesn't fix the wrong, its too late now (SDMBA, where were you on this one), but its the very least they could do.

Last edited by his highness on Wed May 18, 2011 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: IRON MT....SANITIZED
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:03 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
I wanna hear what SDMBA has to say about it.... :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 216 thanks
Received: 79 thanks
Bike(s): GT I-drive 5
Favorite Trails: the ones with minimal climbing
:x :x That sucks! I personally cannot ride that trail but the riders who can are an inspiration to me to step out of my comfort zone and become a better technical rider. On foot, the chunk gives it variety and fools one into thinking that he is not on a trail which personally for me gives me more satisfaction of being "outdoors". I've hiked it a few times. Maybe it's time to go back and check it out. And see if I can ride it now :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:40 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
his highness wrote:
Its too late now (SDMBA, where were you on this one), but its the very least they could do.

Mudd wrote:
I wanna hear what SDMBA has to say about it.... :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

First off, I have seen pictures of the destruction and it makes me absolutely sick.

Now to my point. SDMBA is not an all knowing group with lines of communication to every trails person, ranger, parks and rec department in the f-ing county. To think that is possible is a joke. No one at SDMBA had any idea this was planned or happening until too late. The City of Poway acts in autonomy on it's own. Lay this one at the steps of the City of Poway and the City of Poway only.

The following 5 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
bjammin, Canaan, chuckanado, kevmortensen, mealsonwheels
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:45 am 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

so what you are saying is that SDMBA had absolutely NO CLUE that sanitation trail work was being performed at Iron Mt......for the last few months......

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:58 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
his highness wrote:
so what you are saying is that SDMBA had absolutely NO CLUE that sanitation trail work was being performed at Iron Mt......for the last few months......

I've got no bone in this spat but before you lash out at everyone, just slow down and think for a minute.

You have ridden there several times. When did YOU find out about it? What did YOU do about it? The only way I found out was here. I did nothing about it because I was not informed. It is very reasonable to believe that SDMBA knew about it only a short time ago as well. Evdog said Aqua found out about it and started the process directly with the City of Poway. Anybody could have done this. SDMBA is not THE trail authority. Your involvement at Ted Williams should have shown you that. When something happens there, is it MTBLocos fault for lack of oversight?

I've said this before and I will say it again. We all ride bikes. Maybe use different disciplines but the tires touch the dirt all the same. Infighting does us no good. Each person and group does what it can to make it the best for everybody.

Oh yeah, and I still owe you a beer for help last year. We need to get togethjer one day and I can pay off the debt. :cheers:

The following 6 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
Canaan, chuckanado, his highness, moondogg, OhNooo, ValE
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:21 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

you make an excellent point bankerboy. and you are indeed correct, i should not lash out so quickly...but let me address your questions first.

bankerboy wrote:

You have ridden there several times. When did YOU find out about it? What did YOU do about it?

- i have ridden there many times, unfortunately the last few months I haven't been out there as much as i used to due to work.
the last time i rode there, there was some degree of sanitation work, but only small (very small) sections and pieces...towards the lowest part of Iron Mt.
not enough for me to even fathom that 2/3 of the trail would be leveled.
i wrote it off as simple on the fly trail work performed by a non knowledgeable person...i did not think it was City approved.

-i just found out about this yesterday

- THIS morning i sent an email to City of Poway, and I will be attending (work permitting) the next city meeting to voice my opinion about this matter.

the damage is done, there is NO fixing that...we have to move forward;

Pulled this straight off the SDMBA website (ABOUT page);
"Closing trails without appropriate justification represents poor land management policy and is unfair to a legitimate and responsible user group."

In this specific case, I feel it is 100% reasonable for one to replace the word CLOSING with MODIFYING, ALTERING or CHANGING. This (imo) should be sufficient enough to mandate a 'call to arms' from the mtb community, with SDMBA at the helm. In other words, SDMBA should be banging on City Hall's doors right now about this....again, in MY opinion.

Also pulled this off the SDMBA website (ABOUT page);
"these restrictions, if left unchallenged, are likely to grow in both scope and severity."

In this specific case, and from my understanding, the sanitation trail work @ Iron has ceased for the time being....or so we are told.
Regardless, if they did it once, they are bound to do it again IF we do not put them in 'check' about it.
The proverbial ball is 100% in SDMBA's side of the court now....and I am curious as to how they will respond.
I am not a member of SDMBA, so i have no say in what they do...but i woudl only imagine that they are the appropriate agency for this matter.

So i guess my question is this;
moving forward, what is SDMBA's official standpoint on this matter?
And what will SDMBA do about it? Will they simply settle for compensation in the form of a couple hundred yards of 'new singletrack' at MTRP (figuratively speaking)?
or will SDMBA demand that the City of Poway replace the forever gone Iron Mt. trail with another trail of equal value/terrain? specially since Iron Mt was a multi-use trail and mountain bikers are a part of that user group.

Sorry if i sound a little grumpy and a bit inconsiderate of the political red tape bullshit procedure that we usually have to adhere to...but THEY DESTROYED IRON MT!!!!!!!!

Last edited by his highness on Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
Garett.McD
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
his highness wrote:
And what will SDMBA do about it? Will they simply settle for compensation in the form of a couple hundred yards of 'new singletrack' at MTRP (figuratively speaking)?

Sorry if i sound a little grumpy and a bit inconsiderate of the political red tape bullshit procedure that we usually have to adhere to...but THEY DESTROYED IRON MT!!!!!!!!

There is new singletrack at MTRP? SAWEEEEEEET! Where?

BTW. there is a lot more going into MTRP than just SDMBA, not in building but definitely in advocacy.

All of this being said. I'm not touching either side of this issue because all I will do is piss people off.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:30 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
Considering SDMBA is a user group comprised of volunteers, and you're a member of said user group; if you think they acted inadequately here, will you start attending meetings? Are you willing to head up the action with the City of Poway to have Ellie Lane converted to a mtb only trail? Are you going to sacrifice you're own free time for this issue, or just assume someone else will?

Last edited by Evil Chocula on Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Evil Chocula for his or her post:
Garett.McD
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
I'm forming my own advocacy group -- it's called STFU, and its principle tenet is that organizations and individuals shouldn't be criticized for not doing quite as much as you think they should. Try to show appreciation for what is being done; if you want something more, that's on you.

And no, I don't belong to SDMBA . . . .

The following 10 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
bankerboy, Chadster, Evil Chocula, jSatch, kevmortensen, mtbchip, ocd, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Slowgrind
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:39 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Evil Chocula wrote:
Considering SDMBA is a user group comprised volunteers, and you're a member of said user group; i am not a member of sdmba

if you think they acted inadequately here, i dont know, did they? if they new about the trail work, and did nothing about it, then yes. if they did not know about it, then NO

will you start attending meetings? YES,

Are you willing to head up the action with the City of Poway to have Ellie Lane converted to a mtb only trail? YES

Are you going to sacrifice you're own free time for this issue, I WILL

or just assume someone else will? NOPE

so YES, if they need my time/help, they got it.

The following user would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
bankerboy
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 420 thanks
Received: 898 thanks
Bike(s): 2011 Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: The ones you didn't help with.
Highness - You stated in your letter to the Poway official that You are NOT a member of SDMBA, yet you are wanting to put this on SDMBA?

Here's my question - What the hell did MTB LOCOS do about this?
Why didn't MTB Lococ know this was going on?
What does MTBLOCO have to say about this?
You mean to tell me thta MTB LOCOS didn't know anything about this?
What the hell man!?!?!?
You openly express that you are not part of SDMBA, but you want it to take care of this?

How about the advocacy organization that you are apart of? I want to know why
MTB Locos didn't do anything about this!
Personally I am appalled that your group, while not knowing this was happening, did nothing to stop this destruction.
shame on MTB LOCOS!

YEA - THAT DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE NOW DOES IT?
Stop throwing the hard working VOLUNTEERS - which you have decided to not be a part of - or support through membership under this bus.

The following 5 users would like to thank kevmortensen for his or her post:
Chadster, Evil Chocula, Los, OhNooo, Robo
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 420 thanks
Received: 898 thanks
Bike(s): 2011 Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: The ones you didn't help with.
ocd wrote:

All of this being said. I'm not touching either side of this issue because all I will do is piss people off.

Yea, but you do get some people off their butt and into action!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
his highness wrote:
Evil Chocula wrote:
Considering SDMBA is a user group comprised volunteers, and you're a member of said user group; i am not a member of sdmba

if you think they acted inadequately here, i dont know, did they? if they new about the trail work, and did nothing about it, then yes. if they did not know about it, then NO

will you start attending meetings? YES,

Are you willing to head up the action with the City of Poway to have Ellie Lane converted to a mtb only trail? YES

Are you going to sacrifice you're own free time for this issue, I WILL

or just assume someone else will? NOPE

so YES, if they need my time/help, they got it.

Well, there you go. That's awesome! :bang:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:50 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

kevmortensen wrote:
Highness - You stated in your letter to the Poway official that You are NOT a member of SDMBA, yet you are wanting to put this on SDMBA?

Here's my question - What the hell did MTB LOCOS do about this?
Why didn't MTB Lococ know this was going on?
What does MTBLOCO have to say about this?
You mean to tell me thta MTB LOCOS didn't know anything about this?
What the hell man!?!?!?
You openly express that you are not part of SDMBA, but you want it to take care of this?

How about the advocacy organization that you are apart of? I want to know why
MTB Locos didn't do anything about this!
Personally I am appalled that your group, while not knowing this was happening, did nothing to stop this destruction.
shame on MTB LOCOS!

YEA - THAT DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE NOW DOES IT?
Stop throwing the hard working VOLUNTEERS - which you have decided to not be a part of - or support through membership under this bus.

I LEGITIMATELY DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS UNTIL LAST NIGHT...THATS WHY! now that I know about this, my ass is in action. i have sent an email first thing this morning, i will attend the next city meeting, and i will do whatever I CAN as a citizen/land user.
if MTB Locos can become involved in this or help in any way, we will....however SDMBA is a much more established group (in respects to dealing with the City) , therein lies the direction of my questions.

all i am asking is this;

prior to this past weekend, did SDMBA know about the ongoing trail work?

and what are they planning to do about it?

thats all i'm asking.....NOTHING ELSE.

Last edited by his highness on Wed May 18, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The following 2 users would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
Mudd, ValE
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next