It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: IRON MT....SANITIZED
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:44 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
evdog wrote:
RHS reminded us earlier what it says on our jerseys: Information. Does this include incomplete information? Outdated information? Or is it more responsible to wait a couple days to gather as much information as possible before letting the community know, so that they can take action knowing as much of the facts as possible. Knowing how people tend to react on forums, we thought it would be irresponsible to post up until we had better information. I tried explaining this to Pete, but he did not want to wait for all the info. Seeing how this train-wreck of a thread has gone, is that still your view?

I am satisfied with the direction of this thread. I dont consider it a trainwreck of a thread. Heated, yes, but not a train wreck. I find this to be a healthy dialog between concerned riders, if we censor this aspect we begin to lose the healthy nature of the dialog. Heated is fine, inflammatory could be the natural order of progression, but fortunatley it hasnt breached that line and I dont see the thread as being inflammatory.
I didnt care what the facts were other than, what happened and where as I know the pertinent information would be pesented with a little investigation. I'm sure if there were an initial TR with the normal stuff, without speculation posted, the thread would be the same as it is now with the exception of people pointing their fingers at SDMBA and its members, volunteers.
If any of you feel that I am wrong in allowing this "Information" to be posted at the time I did, well, I'm sorry you feel that way.
The "information" I was asking for wasnt intended to be in the context of.."why did you not tell us what the city of Poway did this, who's in charge there?", rather, the "Information" that I was asking why it wasnt posted was in the context of "Why isnt there a Treader Report, like most all TR's where we have pictures and descriptions of a ride we were recently on?"
So, other than we still have no Treader Report and 1st hand pictures, my view is unchanged.
If I werent too occupied with re-educating myself on a fulltime basis, I would have driven out there myself already and wrote a TR, not blaming whatever city official, park ranger or prisoner. I would have written a TR just like any other without blame but full of questions.
I dont know about the rest of you, but I dislike it when information is dispensed on a need-to-know basis when it couldnt hurt to dispense it without the need-to-know basis. This isnt sensitive material in the sense that it involves national security.
I dont blame SDMBA for allowing this to happen and I hope what I posted wasnt taken that way.

The following 7 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
badkittyjing, Canaan, his highness, jSatch, Kimba, OldDogDan, Ratigan
 Post subject: 96
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:24 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1012 thanks
Received: 1675 thanks
Bike(s): Enduro Bike
Favorite Trails: Mount Whitney

Last edited by Scott Forty G. on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following 13 users would like to thank Scott Forty G. for his or her post:
bankerboy, Broke That, Canaan, endo, jSatch, moondogg, mouse jockey, Mudd, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth, rodster, Sasqwatch
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:45 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 127 thanks
Received: 472 thanks
Bike(s): stumpy 29er
Favorite Trails: Blowing Springs
After looking at the pictures above, there may not be any reason to be as upset as I was. That area will continue to erode and be back to normal after a couple rains. Mother Nature does not want smooth trails and there is little to nothing that can be done to keep that 'sidewalk' to the top as is. It still pissed me off that anyone can do some much trail work without any reason or notice.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
I'm super bummed that last night was my first ride there. It had always been on my "to ride" list, but since it was preferred to be ridden on the weekdays, that made it difficult.

I have an idea of what it used to look like... you could actually see chunks of rock that were broken down and pushed off to the side of the trail. Disappointing.

There is still a fair amount of tech, but being that I'd never ridden there before I was told it was considerably less. I still think it was pretty fun though.

But after seeing what is there, I think what I'm most confused about is: If the work actually started in the winter, how is it that no word about this has reached the community until now? Did they really do it in such small increments that it was hardly noticeable to those that frequent it on more than a monthly basis? Or was there really such a drastic change over the weekend that it needed this emergency halt on trailwork?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:35 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
badkittyjing wrote:
But after seeing what is there, I think what I'm most confused about is: If the work actually started in the winter, how is it that no word about this has reached the community until now?

That's a very reasonable question. Surely other people have been riding it and saw what was going on (before Steve, Mark and Evan rode it last Friday). You'd think the word would have leaked but doesn't look like it did until steve rang the alarm bell and took action.

Speaking of bells, the church bell in the village just rang again. it's 6:30PM here. I'm done working for the week, I'm stoked to be riding tomorrow and the local watering house has good hefeweizen waiting for me.

Auf wiedersehen fraulein.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:43 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 420 thanks
Received: 898 thanks
Bike(s): 2011 Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: The ones you didn't help with.
You guys that rode it yesterday also rode it 'wet' or 'moist' (for lack of a better term)
when that dirt dries it is like talcum power, loose soft powdery dirt.
I ran up there earlier in the week (I think Monday?) and it looked much worse than the pics that I see from last night.
Try it in a month and see how fun it is.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:04 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 68 thanks
after seeing those pics, its so sad. iron is a shell of its former self.
i have been riding iron for a long time, well over 60+ times on that trail, used to never see any riders on it. i took aqua there for the first time and he initally didn't like it that much, but it grew on him to become one of his favorite trails. every year it got alittle more santized and then this. i should of inquired long time ago about it, but i didn't so i can blame myself for being passive about this issue. a real shame.

one can hope for monster storms to make new lines next winter:)

The following 3 users would like to thank dft for his or her post:
moondogg, mouse jockey, TCB
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:00 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1973 thanks
Received: 1352 thanks
Bike(s): Mojo HD140, Niner One
Favorite Trails: Sierra High Route
dft wrote:
i should of inquired long time ago about it, but i didn't so i can blame myself for being passive about this issue. a real shame.

Well said.

If you want to assign blame, then we are ALL at fault as a community. I am not the only one who saw MTBill's BLOG report for March 14, yet all I did was passively PM a few people about the blog report with a few questions and concerns and did nothing after that. I am to blame as much as anyone.

The following 3 users would like to thank sierragoldens for his or her post:
Canaan, kevmortensen, moondogg
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:11 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
Whats the motivation for these trail projects? It's bizarre to me, as this seems to be a non-issue in New England where the trails are waaaay rockier (well, at least on par with pre-sanitation Iron Mt). Not saying one region is better then the other, just pointing out that you'd expect more of these sanitations here then there, but it seems as if this happens regularly in SoCal.

Is it a liability thing? A result of heavy usage? Sucks no matter what.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:19 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 499 thanks
Received: 1771 thanks
Bike(s): Monocog SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Skinny & dirty
Evil Chocula wrote:
Whats the motivation for these trail projects? It's bizarre to me, as this seems to be a non-issue in New England where the trails are waaaay rockier (well, at least on par with pre-sanitation Iron Mt). Not saying one region is better then the other, just pointing out that you'd expect more of these sanitations here then there, but it seems as if this happens regularly in SoCal.

I don't know, but if it was a liability thing, I'd think that the hiker's trail on Cowles would have been sanitized a long time ago. Seems like every month or so someone is getting airlifted with a broken ankle or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:31 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Evil Chocula wrote:

I have a feeling it is the use or lose it method of government funding: The City of Poway P&R department had money they needed to spend and prison trail work crew willing to accept it. Add in a lack of oversight and a complete lack of trail science knowledge and you get.....

The following user would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
slingshot
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:37 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
moondogg wrote:
Evil Chocula wrote:

I have a feeling it is the use or lose it method of government funding: The City of Poway P&R department had money they needed to spend and prison trail work crew willing to accept it. Add in a lack of oversight and a complete lack of trail science knowledge and you get.....

perfect storm.

too bad they didn't think to construct new trails with their surplus money / work force instead.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:51 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 115 thanks
Bike(s): Rocky II
Favorite Trails: Flagstaff, Moab/Fruita
Well, I thought I posted something this morning that was on my mind, but I don't see it, so I'll repost my questions.

What was Poway's reason for the project in the first place? I would think it would have something to do with the insanely high volume of hikers/bikers/horses over-using a trail that is sensitive to soil erosion and in a high fire risk area. I trail run here a lot, especially in winter, and over the last few months have watched the water bars go from small bumps in the trail to huge eroded step-ups with lots of drainage ditches creating rivers of water down the middle of the trail. My thought was that maintenance is definitely needed on this trail in some sense to stave off further erosion and protect the ecosystem. Now, whether a prison crew or whoever was out there moving dirt and rocks around were trained in proper erosion control and trail maintenance remains to be answered.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:21 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
random walk wrote:
I don't know, but if it was a liability thing, I'd think that the hiker's trail on Cowles would have been sanitized a long time ago. Seems like every month or so someone is getting airlifted with a broken ankle or something like that.

Cowles is a different ballgame because its in the city of SD. They prefer to sit and talk about doing something about it for atleast a year or two :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next