Post subject: More Poorformance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9426 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Once again I've been frustrated by Performance bike. My buddy Dave brought his older Trek Fuel over to my house for recommendations. I suggested he get some BB7s, Nevegals, and maybe Crossrides (I dunno they're cheap).

So he was going to get a tune up and try to dress his bike up a bit.

They told him it wasn't worth it to put that kind of money into it. What?? So he should buy one of the shitty bikes they have???

They've done that to me before. I wanted to buy a better wheelset for my roadie a while back, and they talked me out of it because it wouldn't be worth it to put money into a lugged frame that doesn't have fancy lugs.

Is a bike an investment property???

Are the parts now permanently fixed to the frame?

Those fucktards piss me off sooooo much.

Oh, and the tuneup??? 2 weeks.

The following 4 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
amor587, DHP, FatWhat?, Red Hot Sloth
 Post subject: Re: More Poorformance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:30 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
I agree Performance suck balls, but I confess that I still buy bike stuff from them because their prices are competitive and they give you Performance points which you can redeem.

Their bike selection is beyond terrible.

The following 2 users would like to thank Phonger for his or her post:
amor587, FatWhat?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:39 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Other than Gu or bike lube and little things like that is what I buy from them, we are there every week (Bonita Bikers) and they never do anything for us to try to get more business, they have no customer service but somehow they make money.

The following 3 users would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
amor587, FatWhat?, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:56 pm 
Big Ring/Grannie Rider
Big Ring/Grannie Rider

Given: 55 thanks
Received: 155 thanks
they're like the target of bike stores. i go there for something quick and cheap; tubes, lube, some clothing that they have on sale and that's it. I dont take much of what they have to say because it's opinionated and their opinions dont amount to much.

The following 2 users would like to thank foo29er for his or her post:
amor587, FatWhat?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:25 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
Yeah ynow I feel the same...target of bike shops. But sometimes you get lucky. The new head mechanic at the oside location is a young dude who let me watch him fix my bike and he actually knows what he's doing. other than him (and a good experience 8 years ago at the Sports arena location) I have not had much luck there getting anything but attitudes and my bike back not fixed. I try to patronixe Pacific Coast, home of the original Mom and Pop. Bike warehouse is cool but selection is limited and prices can be high. Amazon...they were the only guys to not let me post a race flyer in their shop....I say bollocks to Amazon!

The following 2 users would like to thank danimal for his or her post:
amor587, FatWhat?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:43 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1042 thanks
Received: 649 thanks
Bike(s): Remedy 7/GF Ferrous/7.6 FX
Favorite Trails: Thunder MTN Utah, A-Line, RH
I agree, I don't particularly like Performance shops either. I refrain from buying anything there nowadays. I took a fork over to my local Performance shop to get a star nut installed, the fork was already off the bike and they said that it would be ready in 4 days. I just walked back out with my fork and went to another shop that did it in 5 minutes. From that day on they lost me as a customer.

The following 2 users would like to thank amor587 for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, FatWhat?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:58 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
I can fix your buds bike up man, just bring it to Oceanside and I should have it done by the end of the day GAIRUNTEEED!!
Ld00d wrote:
Once again I've been frustrated by Performance bike. My buddy Dave brought his older Trek Fuel over to my house for recommendations. I suggested he get some BB7s, Nevegals, and maybe Crossrides (I dunno they're cheap).

So he was going to get a tune up and try to dress his bike up a bit.

They told him it wasn't worth it to put that kind of money into it. What?? So he should buy one of the shitty bikes they have???

They've done that to me before. I wanted to buy a better wheelset for my roadie a while back, and they talked me out of it because it wouldn't be worth it to put money into a lugged frame that doesn't have fancy lugs.

Is a bike an investment property???

Are the parts now permanently fixed to the frame?

Those fucktards piss me off sooooo much.

Oh, and the tuneup??? 2 weeks.

The following 2 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
FatWhat?, Ld00d
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:50 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
SDMBA asked the Performance shop in Sorrento Valley to donate some SWAG items for the trail work day in Penasquitos back in April. They said no thanks. Meanwhile, Pro Built Wheels hosted a BBQ for the trailworkers, provided some cold beer and donated items for the SWAG giveaway. From that day on, Performance lost me as a customer. Even though they have good prices, I would rather pay the extra couple of bucks to a rider owned shop who supports SDMBA and the local scene.

...oh ya....and PBW has a kegerator in their shop to serve beers after the Tuesday night rides. Can't beat that! :cheers:

The following 2 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
FatWhat?, Ld00d
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:11 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
sdmoondogg wrote:
SDMBA asked the Performance shop in Sorrento Valley to donate some SWAG items for the trail work day in Penasquitos back in April. They said no thanks. Meanwhile, Pro Built Wheels hosted a BBQ for the trailworkers, provided some cold beer and donated items for the SWAG giveaway. From that day on, Performance lost me as a customer. Even though they have good prices, I would rather pay the extra couple of bucks to a rider owned shop who supports SDMBA and the local scene.

...oh ya....and PBW has a kegerator in their shop to serve beers after the Tuesday night rides. Can't beat that! :cheers:

That is what I mean by not supporting any local ride or club, at the Bonita store there is big group of roadies ever Saturday morning, maybe 30 or 40 riders and on sunday the same but mountain bikers and there is always smaller groups that meet there everyday and I have never seen the shop do anything for us! WTF!!

The following user would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
FatWhat?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:16 pm 
DT Martyr
DT Martyr

Given: 344 thanks
Received: 194 thanks
Bike(s): It's blue.
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt.
Wait-a-minute... You still shop for bike parts at Performance? WTF? Did you not get the memo?

Things that are expressly forbidden to purchase at Performance:

1. Bikes (or any of the bike shaped objects they call bikes).
2. Bike parts of any kind.
3. Performance branded clothing.

Things that are OK to purchase at Performance:

1. Nutrition.
2. Tubes (and only if you have a flat, have no spares and there is no other shop closer then 2 miles AND it's raining).
3. Anything that still has the SuperGo logo on it.

Even when you do buy something on the OK list, you can't tell any of your friends where you bought it at. Hope this clears things up. It's going to save you much pain and suffering.

The following 4 users would like to thank katonk for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, FatWhat?, Ld00d, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:43 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I like North of the Border and PBW, but they hardly every have what I want in stock. Poorformance usually has some deals. For example, they have had BB7s for 50 bucks for a while. The other problem is I can walk there. The other two aren't very far away, but considerably less convenient.

sdmoondogg wrote:

Where you there for the shits trailwork?

The following 2 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
FatWhat?, moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:21 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Ld00d wrote:
I like North of the Border and PBW, but they hardly every have what I want in stock. Poorformance usually has some deals. For example, they have had BB7s for 50 bucks for a while. The other problem is I can walk there. The other two aren't very far away, but considerably less convenient.

sdmoondogg wrote:

Where you there for the shits trailwork?

Yes. I was working on the lowermost section. The last two berms and then the last transition before the duck pond.

I agree with you in regards to the selection of Poorformance vs. the local shops. I have not been to North of the Border but have heard good things. PBW offers a 10% discount for SDMBA members. I recently bought a set of small block eights from them. With the discount it wasn't too much more than the on-line outlets, but I felt good about supporting the local shop.

As for the service and repair departments, poorformance puts a triple 'o' in pooor. I have established a good relationship with Tom at the Bicycle Warehouse in Oceanside. You know your mechanic is good when he has chainlinks tattoed around his wrists and a collection of vintage bikes. He helps me out with my projects and shows me how to fix things on my own. Big props to Tom!

Anyone else got some solid local mechanics they swear by?

-CHEERS :cheers:

The following 2 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Ld00d, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Chuck at Pacific Coast Cycles in O'Side is the real deal. The only knock on Chuck is he doesn't do suspension work. Everything else though, he's the man. He's worked on my FS and road bikes for years.

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Ld00d
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:15 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

sdmoondogg wrote:
Yes. I was working on the lowermost section. The last two berms and then the last transition before the duck pond.
Anyone else got some solid local mechanics they swear by?

I was on like the second turn from the top...

I'm my own mechanic, and I swear by me. :P

Mike Kim wrote:
Chuck at Pacific Coast Cycles in O'Side is the real deal. The only knock on Chuck is he doesn't do suspension work. Everything else though, he's the man. He's worked on my FS and road bikes for years.

Chuck is awesome. I used to work up there with the Danimal in C-Bad, and I would drop by his shop every now and then. I haven't been since I quit that job.

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:31 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
Where is PBR and whats this I here about beer on Tuesdays? Sounds like I need to go by this place.