Post subject: Re: Chromag? Hard tail
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ That Sage is nice looking. Coincidentally, I just saw a Moots titanium hardtail this morning. Also a nice looking bike. But continuing this is a moot point, since avidtest gave up chasing a hardtail.

Post subject: Re: Chromag? Hard tail
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:09 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 25 thanks
Received: 241 thanks
Bike(s): Pinhoti III, Krampus, R1ot
Favorite Trails: BLT/Noble, Calavera
evdog wrote:
Something else to think about when considering hardtail vs full suspension... probably the greatest weakness I find with my hardtail is actually climbing rocky/technical/loose trail. Without rear suspension it is surprisingly easy for the rear end to lose traction. Rear suspension helps stop the rear end from getting bounced around, and the more your tire stays in contact with the ground the better you can keep climbing. One more reason to consider shorter travel xc full suspension.

On the other hand the hardtail rolls over rocks nicely with fewer pedal strikes, since there is no rear suspension to compress and lower the BB. My Mojo3 is terrible for pedal strikes. Demoing a Ripley last weekend, had way fewer pedal strikes with much stiffer suspension, shorter travel and bigger wheels.

Yep, been surprised since building up my Canfield Riot SS, have only broken loose once or twice in months, whereas same wheelset on my ROS9 break loose much more(Purg 2.6 rear(more like 2.45)), even worse my ROS9+ the big 29x3 DHF in the rear(more like 3.2) is easy to break loose. All are SS. Downside is the pedal strikes, but Riot is not insanely low at least.

The following user would like to thank socal_jack for his or her post:
OldDogDan