It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:14 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 282 thanks
Received: 490 thanks
Favorite Trails: ???
I found this nice article talking about the latest helmet tech, such as MIPS and WaveCel.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2392896/t ... ontroversy

The new Wavecel helmets are expensive... I think around $300 each. MIPS is much less expensive and has been around longer. If you read the article above, you'll see there is some controversy on whether or not Wavecel is really better than MIPS.

"Perhaps the best piece of impartial data comes from Virginia Tech’s Helmet Lab and its Star methodology, which is the only independent, widely respected testing protocol to address oblique impacts and rotational energy."

Here is a link to Virginia Tech's helmet ratings. The article says that when you buy a helmet just check it against this list. Note that many popular brands (e.g. Troy Lee, Smith) are not listed here. That just means that Virginia Tech hasn't gotten around to testing them.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle- ... tings.html

Personally... I have an older helmet which doesn't have any MIPS-type-substance and plan to upgrade soon. The rocks in my head are everything, so it probably makes sense to drop a little coin to protect them.

The following 2 users would like to thank Inconceivable for his or her post:
avidtest, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:29 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Yes, it does. The MIPS feature seems worth the extra cost, and is trickling down to the middle-priced helmets. I like mine (a Giro, but features & fit are more important than brand).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:22 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
There's always going to be controversy with this kind of stuff. Both my helmets have MIPS but I'm highly suspicious that it makes much of a difference. My personal opinion based on the articles I've read is I trust the Wavecel more than MIPS but still think 6D is even better technology. The problem is I look like Kazoo from The Flinstones and the there helmets are noticeably heavier than my Troy Lee A2.

I read an article years ago comparing US vs Euro standards for helmet safety. The Euro group and the US science group that wrote the article both said the US standards for bicycling helmets call for designs that are too stiff/strong. The theory is that the helmet is less likely to break apart and thereby dissipate the impact force which would help prevent concussions. Euro standards call for a "softer" design which allowed the helmet to break apart to dissipate the impact better.

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Kimba, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:02 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 282 thanks
Received: 490 thanks
Favorite Trails: ???
k2 - my wife and I both ended up buying the Troy Lee A2 as well... so hopefully we all have excellent taste. Also, totally agree that designing helmets to break upon impact is a good thing... that's how the energy is dissipated. It's also a more obvious way of telling yourself that it's time for a new lid.

The following 2 users would like to thank Inconceivable for his or her post:
Belizean, OldDogDan