All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:40 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 424 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal Super 4.1
Favorite Trails: Black Rock Oregon
Trailforks is a great app that I've used countless times to find new places to ride in the past couple years. From recent experience it seems that Trailforks elevation profiles are typically off and inflated. Has anyone experienced that?

I realize many factors can come into play such as how the data is acquired, trail structure, device used to acquire the data, what information is used to compare the data,etc.

But for instance this last trail I rode there was a 1800ft elevation difference between what trailforks said and what strava tracked(through a phone, my gps watch died). The majority of the time the trail was on a ridge/heavily sloped sections so I imagine with GPS 3m accuracy the delta could be +-20ft at times and over 26 miles. MTB project was much closer to the strava however was missing a trail so couldn't really determine. (FWIW I believe the strava data more than trailforks which had 1800ft more elevation gain)

Are there any other apps/websites/maps etc you use to get a better idea of elevation gain?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
I switched over to Strava from Map My Ride this year. I have a friend that uses Trailforks and (2) others that use Garmin. Strava is usually right in line with the Garmin guys so while that's probably accurate, for my mental health and ego, I gladly accept the highest mileage and most climbing as gospel. :)

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider