Post subject: To Hydration Pack or Not
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 54 thanks
Received: 46 thanks
Bike(s): Trance, Niner, Tough Road
Favorite Trails: TwoFoxes, Sin Nombre, Encinal
I'm looking at replacing my hydration pack with a handlebar water bottle carrier and frame pack for gear and clothing, maybe add a small seat pack for tube/stans and tools. I ride a 29er and am tall. This raises the my center of gravity above the bike. This configuration obviously lowers the overall center of gravity and tight switchbacks are easier.

My concern is I do fall/crash. The hydration pack acts as body armor. I'm sort of looking at risks. Has anyone else made that change or is thinking about it

The following 2 users would like to thank OldAndSlow for his or her post:
OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:30 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
I'm not trying to convince anybody to do what I do but I tried riding w/o a pack and wasn't a fan. I also tried a hip-pack and that wasn't comfortable at all. I think after 25 years of riding with a pack, I'm just used to it and feel odd without it. The pack has saved my bacon a few times on falls as well but the reality is....I drink plenty of water to the point that a bottle or two won't cut it for me and I like having all the appropriate ride equipment in one place, the same place every ride, ride after ride.

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
OldAndSlow, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
I made the switch to no pack and like it a lot. I carry a large bottle (22 oz.) and that's enough for rides of up to two hours. If I'm riding longer than that, I'll wear a pack or refill with water on the trail, depending where I ride. I carry a multi-tool, C02 tire inflater, tire tools, and a tube in a smallish seat pack, and tubeless tire repair kit in my pocket. I've noticed that not carrying a pack has cut down on back and shoulder pain during rides.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
OldAndSlow, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:57 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17287 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ I’m with k2rider.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
OldAndSlow
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:28 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 723 thanks
Received: 315 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX9, Trek Superfly
Favorite Trails: Any single track
I've been able to mount 2 bottle cages on my hard tail and I've found carrying 2 bottles is plenty for most of my rides. I still have my hydration pack and use it for riding in hot weather or if I'm planning a full day in the saddle. I use a wedge pack under the seat to carry tools, spare tube and parts. To ride or not ride with a hydration pack is really a judgement call of how far you ride, how hard you push yourself, how hot it is, your personal hydration needs, and if you'll be able to find drinkable water somewhere along your route when you need it.

The following 2 users would like to thank GForce for his or her post:
OldAndSlow, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:15 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9368 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
to be clear: we're not talking about where you keep the beer, right?

The following 2 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
OldAndSlow, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:34 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 723 thanks
Received: 315 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX9, Trek Superfly
Favorite Trails: Any single track
Ld00d wrote:

Beer is in the fridge ice cold when I get back. No problem at all. As far as consuming a brew or few while out on a ride, that's a good argument in favor of a hydration pack :cheers: :lol:

The following 2 users would like to thank GForce for his or her post:
Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:27 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17287 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
GForce wrote:
Ld00d wrote:

Beer is in the fridge ice cold when I get back. No problem at all. As far as consuming a brew or few while out on a ride, that's a good argument in favor of a hydration pack :cheers: :lol:

Yep. I pack the hydration bladder with plenty of ice and some water, and slide the beer down between the bladder and the pack’s back pad.

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Canaan, Ld00d
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
I run a small frame pack hanging under my top tube (made by Oveja Negra). It has enough space for a small tool roll and a 3L Camelback bladder filled up to the 2L level. I've been riding this way for about 1.5 years now, and have enjoyed not having the water weight on my back. My back was so trashed from trail work that I was off the bike for almost a year, so I'm sensitive to having that much water on my spine.

It's worked good for me. I'm an old dude who rides like your grandma, so I don't need back protection from crashes. The only time I miss a pack is in varying weather. I need to pick the right gear to wear as I cannot take layers on/off since I have no place to store additional clothing. If I'm going on a long adventure where I need to have some food or change layers, then I bring along the hydration pack without the bladder or tools in it just to have an additional light-weight backpack.

The following 3 users would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
Canaan, OldAndSlow, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
OhNooo wrote:
My back was so trashed from trail work that I was off the bike for almost a year, so I'm sensitive to having that much water on my spine.

Off topic: We might have a class action suit against that slave driver Bankerboy. :hello:
He can just reach into the vault for the payout :domo: (unmarked 10's & 20's please and no die packs)

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:32 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Dirtrider wrote:
OhNooo wrote:
My back was so trashed from trail work that I was off the bike for almost a year, so I'm sensitive to having that much water on my spine.

Off topic: We might have a class action suit against that slave driver Bankerboy. :hello:
He can just reach into the vault for the payout :domo: (unmarked 10's & 20's please and no die packs)

I don't fault Bankerboy. I fault myself for wielding that pick and pushing myself into the pain zone week after week after week. The accumulated trauma from that first year of Manzanita trail stumping did me in. I figure I was just overdue because I was the only guy in my family that didn't have back issues before that.

The following 2 users would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:44 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 186 thanks
Received: 101 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti SB95C, Yeti SB95
Favorite Trails: Los Gatos to Noble
I switched from a backpack to a lumbar pack with shoulder straps a couple of years ago. It immediately made a big difference in the stress on my shoulders and back. Most of the weight is on my hips and the shoulder straps ensure the load does not shift around. Camelbak makes the Skyline LR 10 that I use, but there are lots of options out there.

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirt Pedaller for his or her post:
OldAndSlow, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Yeah, I tried the hip pack and even on a short 90 minute ride, it bothered my hips and too much movement for my tastes.

Interestingly enough, I went to Greer today and when I arrived, I realized I had forgot my Osprey pack at home in Oceanside. So no water, no tool, no spare tube. I did have a 16 oz bottle of water in my car. I originally put my bike back on the car to just head home but then figured I'd risk a flat and go ride. I stuffed the water bottle in my back pocket. I definitely drank less water than normal because A) I wanted to conserve and B) I didn't want to stop to drink so I only did so at the top of each trail. I PR'd the entire climb back to Distortion by 1.5 minutes but I'm not sure how much of that was the lack of a pack vs the fact I'm getting used to geo of new bike and I've been feeling good on the climbs out there lately. I'll never break any records though, sit & spin for me.

I don't use the pack on my road loops (just one 22 oz bottle) so I know it feels good to ride w/o a pack but man I felt a lil naked at times. I was praying I didn't go OTB on Insidious. That pack would provide some great protection for my spine. Anyway, I survived and ZI'll have my pack on tomorrow at Calavera. :cheers:

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
k2rider wrote:
I stuffed the water bottle in my back pocket

Well that proves you're not a bro, they just shove it down the back of their shorts

Greer is the last place I'd worry about having to walk out due to a flat. What's the worst case, a mile out plus a bit of pavement depending where you parked? Risk vs reward. I certainly wouldn't drive home over it. Consider it cross-training if you get a flat...

I've always worn a pack. It has never bothered me, guess I'm just used to it. I've tried hip pack and also no pack, just a bottle with a frame pack and/or feedbag I have. Yeah its nice not wearing the pack sometimes. Problem I have is if I swap between different options I too often miss getting all the essentials transferred back to my pack. And some day I'm going to get burned by that.

I almost did a year ago...had to bail on a bikepack that I decided to use a larger pack for. My CO2 inflator, cartridges and schrader adaptor didn't make it over with the rest of my gear. Early in the ride I noticed my rear tire was low on air, and that was the exact time the hand pump I've used for 15 years would shit the bed and not work. Fortunately I was still in a spot I could limp out. Could have been much worse had this happened a few hours later...

Before I use the hip pack again I'll be stocking a complete separate kit for it so there's no more transfer of essentials back and forth....

The following 2 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldAndSlow, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

evdog wrote:
k2rider wrote:
I stuffed the water bottle in my back pocket

Well that proves you're not a bro, they just shove it down the back of their shorts

Greer is the last place I'd worry about having to walk out due to a flat. What's the worst case, a mile out plus a bit of pavement depending where you parked?

Hey now....it's 3+ miles from the top of Distortion back to my car on Mapleton!! :flame: