All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
Copied off post at SoCal forum of MTBR....

Body found at Los Penasquitos (San Diego)
I rode today at PQ and when you get to the top of the Powerlines climb and make a left you follow a dirt trail that runs along next to some houses. There was a body of a mountain biker there. The police were already on the scene and the body was covered with a yellow tarp. There was a helmet next to the body, not sure if they took it off to ID the person or what, no bike was in sight so I don't know if someone took it or if the officers had already secured it in their vehicle. We asked what happened but all the officers could say was that they were still investigating the cause of death. The coroners were already coming onto the scene with a gurney.

I'm hoping no one on this forum is missing a loved one that would have been riding in that area today July 3rd, 2017 around noon but if you are you should probably contact the San Diego Police Department to get more info.

It didn't look like a crazy scene, no blood that I could see but the body was covered. The person was laying on his back pretty much straight so I don't know if the officers moved him or anything. The trail was flat and straight so I don't see how this could have been a crash of any kind. My guess is that it might have been a heart attack, heat stroke or something medical. I just can't imagine any foul play in that area but who knows.

It did make me take pause since there are many times when I do ride alone (and many of you out there do as well) without much thought of risk but I guess anything could happen like a medical condition (heart attack) and no one is there right away to help you. I do let my wife know when I'm out and she can view my rides live on Garmin Live track along with my other mtb friends so that's pretty much all I can do short of not riding alone which is not an option since this is what helps me unwind after a long day at work. I hope everyone stays safe out there and try to take some precautions so that someone knows where you're at if you do ride alone.

The following 4 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Belizean, GForce, MoFlow, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ Sad. Thanks for letting us know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:35 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5205 thanks
Received: 1036 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
The shape I'm in now, that could easily be me.

Therefore I decree that if a DT'er comes upon my carcass first, they have free claim to whatever bike I died on.

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
Belizean
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 424 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal Super 4.1
Favorite Trails: Black Rock Oregon
This is sad. I can only imagine it was due to a medical incident as that section is pretty non consequential. Just proves never take anything for granted.

The following user would like to thank n10sive for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:49 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
Sad to hear this, it's been really as we all know. Stay hydrated (hydrate the night before a ride as much as possible) and take breaks in the shade when you can.

The riding alone thing is kinda normal, but really a bad thing in so many ways.
I had my own experience years ago (posted up on here somewhere) of falling, getting knocked out and being alone...

I got lucky, I was also stupid, no one knew where I was or that I was even out riding.

The following 2 users would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
OldDogDan, Ray Dolor