It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:31 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5055 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Lane splitting is illegal in every state except California since our traffic is so congested. Greer was uber crowded Saturday. That lane would be hard to split going up volt to 215 ;). Regardless, once I am decrepit, I'll probably get an e-bike or equivalent, but not before, unless I have one day to ride all of Moab.. ;)

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I know this is overkill but just so we all love each other... :) :) :) :) :)

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2887 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 4 Life
Favorite Trails: Anything with minimal climbing
Kimba wrote:
Greer was uber crowded Saturday.

Yesterday was equally if not far more crowded than we witnessed the day before. Regardless, our crew only ran into a straggler group of 3 on hardtails on one climb. It was so gooood!

I think we just got unlucky and went up the climbs at the same times with two other groups on Saturday- twice. LOL. Nonetheless, it was good to see so many happy faces and general stoke from everyone out there. That's the infectious quality I love about mountain biking.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:10 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
We were out there yesterday as well and while there were more vehicles on Mapleton than I've ever seen, we probably actually saw no more than 20-25 people and 6-7 of them were in one group at the top of Insidious, debating whether they were going to try it or not. They wanted to watch us drop in first. After we did, they decided to go over to Jumping Mouse instead.

I appreciate how much effort those builders put into the trail maintenance out there. Snow Summit could learn a thing or two from them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 181 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti
Favorite Trails: Anywhere There Is Dirt
Such a wonderful playground.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

ozzer wrote:
I think we just got unlucky and went up the climbs at the same times with two other groups on Saturday- twice. LOL. Nonetheless, it was good to see so many happy faces and general stoke from everyone out there. That's the infectious quality I love about mountain biking.

It was an awesome day of riding, thanks!

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Big Clyde
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
When I'm goosing it on the e-bike I can't myself from going "ZAAAAAAAP"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
ozzer wrote:
Off topic... well sorta..
I was given an article by a friend in Az about the eBike and mtb culture there then one article led to another where an HOA, bike rental dude and local cyclist waged war over an 800 ft swath of dirt road.. The fuck.. I got so bored reading their drama in a vacuum but the one lone comment made at the bottom, I found interesting..

mjvande (if you don't know who this Mike Vanderman is, google) Jan 24, 2018 6:14pm
Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1996: http://mjvande.info/mtb10.htm . It's dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they don't have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else -- ON FOOT! Why isn't that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walking....

A favorite myth of mountain bikers is that mountain biking is no more harmful to wildlife, people, and the environment than hiking, and that science supports that view. Of course, it's not true. To settle the matter once and for all, I read all of the research they cited, and wrote a review of the research on mountain biking impacts (see http://mjvande.info/scb7.htm ). I found that of the seven studies they cited, (1) all were written by mountain bikers, and (2) in every case, the authors misinterpreted their own data, in order to come to the conclusion that they favored. They also studiously avoided mentioning another scientific study (Wisdom et al) which did not favor mountain biking, and came to the opposite conclusions.

Those were all experimental studies. Two other studies (by White et al and by Jeff Marion) used a survey design, which is inherently incapable of answering that question (comparing hiking with mountain biking). I only mention them because mountain bikers often cite them, but scientifically, they are worthless.

Mountain biking accelerates erosion, creates V-shaped ruts, kills small animals and plants on and next to the trail, drives wildlife and other trail users out of the area, and, worst of all, teaches kids that the rough treatment of nature is okay (it's NOT!). What's good about THAT?

To see exactly what harm mountain biking does to the land, watch this 5-minute video: http://vimeo.com/48784297.

In addition to all of this, it is extremely dangerous: http://mjvande.info/mtb_dangerous.htm .

For more information: http://mjvande.info/mtbfaq.htm .

The common thread among those who want more recreation in our parks is total ignorance about and disinterest in the wildlife whose homes these parks are. Yes, if humans are the only beings that matter, it is simply a conflict among humans (but even then, allowing bikes on trails harms the MAJORITY of park users -- hikers and equestrians -- who can no longer safely and peacefully enjoy their parks).

The parks aren't gymnasiums or racetracks or even human playgrounds. They are WILDLIFE HABITAT, which is precisely why they are attractive to humans. Activities such as mountain biking, that destroy habitat, violate the charter of the parks.

Even kayaking and rafting, which give humans access to the entirety of a water body, prevent the wildlife that live there from making full use of their habitat, and should not be allowed. Of course those who think that only humans matter won't understand what I am talking about -- an indication of the sad state of our culture and educational system.

and you want advocacy to access Wilderness?? Have fun.

Damn you! I downloaded that 1996 court case thing. Trolled . . .

Vandeman is full of shit: The court esentially ruled that NPS was free to make their decisions (random or otherwise) regarding what trails were open to bikes and had met the minimum standard to garner data, real or imagined.

It is apparent that vocal vehement opposition to bikes colored NPS decision. The squeaky wheel . . .

"I saw one humping a unicorn, and the unicorn was into it" - Oh my god! Let's close the trails.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:53 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

rodster wrote:

Damn you! I downloaded that 1996 court case thing. Trolled . . .
[/quote]

You're welcome. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:59 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Moped riding like a mountain bike. What a douche.
All that skidding, big hits, flow and flickability. What the fuck? This is why eBikes should never be allowed in designated trails and my God, wilderness.
Conventional mountain bikers do not behave like what was portrayed in this film.

The following user would like to thank ozzer for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:15 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

So many frame manufacturers are just waiting, eagerly, for the time to come and release their eMTB when fewer people will throw fit and their front deraileurs at them. Summer 2018 is going to be electrifying.
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-am ... ntP2tQrLmg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 429 thanks
Received: 314 thanks
Bike(s): SC 5010ccV1
Favorite Trails: Lake Morena, Sycamore Canyon
ozzer wrote:
Moped riding like a mountain bike. What a douche.
All that skidding, big hits, flow and flickability. What the fuck? This is why eBikes should never be allowed in designated trails and my God, wilderness.
Conventional mountain bikers do not behave like what was portrayed in this film.

Roots, rocks, ruts and ramps. Looks kinda fun to me :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
You can even get an E-China. Hard Tail for now.

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1534

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23285 thanks
Received: 17362 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Attachment:
E9F1A05A-9030-4DAF-B670-CAFA8F9B3B1A.jpeg
E9F1A05A-9030-4DAF-B670-CAFA8F9B3B1A.jpeg [ 208.01 KiB | Viewed 7926 times ]

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 181 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti
Favorite Trails: Anywhere There Is Dirt
I see power in numbers honestly. A larger user group gives us a louder voice in helping our cause with the red tape. There will always be the ones that portray our passion as destruction to wilderness, but if we can embrace this movement and increase our voices ten-fold, we can drown them out. 25% growth is a pretty big number and it looks like its just going to increase. Let's Embrace this Emovement.

"There's tremendous opportunity to get a generation of people for whom suffering isn't their thing," Cocalis said. "Ebike riders get the enjoyable part of cycling without the massive suffering of climbing huge hills."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/17/technol ... index.html

The following 2 users would like to thank AndYeti for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next