All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:40 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
Just returned from a run out to the Rainbow Rim which is an 18 mile trail that runs along the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. For anybody interested, it is about 2.5 hours past Gooseberry Mesa (or 3 hours from St George, Utah). If you wanted to go up through Sedona, it's another 4.5-5 hours further. We camped right on the rim in an area named Locust Point which is right in the middle of the trail and rode out & back in opposite directions on the two days we were there. If you like to camp, this place couldn't be beat. We set up 50 feet from the edge of the canyon and unlike the South Rim where 99% of tourists go, the North Rim is completely forested at an elevation of 7700 feet.

The riding itself is 98% singletrack and maybe 10% of it is actually along the rim...but not ultra close to the edge like some areas in Moab & Gooseberry so it's 100% safe for less skilled and/or younger riders. However, while the trail difficulty itself is lower intermediate at the most, the elevation and the numerous steady climbs take their toll. My legs were shot after each days ride. As far as crowds out there, there aren't a plethora of places to camp and we saw less than 5 other bikers on the trails and 8-10 hikers total the whole weekend. We saw a ton of hunters on the drive in but there are camping several miles from the rim & trail.

As I mentioned, there are no other options other than camping if you want direct access to the trail. We saw a few smaller trailers back there but most people were tent camping. Big RV's wouldn't get thru some of the roads we traveled due to overhanging branches from all the trees. 15-20 miles back on the highway, there was a regular (small) campground and store at North Rim village. Another 25 miles back at Jacobs Lake there were full hook-up campgrounds and even cabins for rent.

This is the site I used for 90% of my info: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/rainbowrim.htm and here's a video that sold my buddies on the ride... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9qDzJFGss

The following 7 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
avidtest, Canaan, Dirtrider, Kimba, OhNooo, OldDogDan, tfitz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:37 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5055 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Thanks for the 411, always appreciated. I have had this place on my radar for a while now. Could a Class C type RV make it through the branches?

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
tfitz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
I would say probably not where we camped at Locust Point but if you camped at the North End of the trail at the Parissawampitts area (see map on the link I provided), it would be much more likely since you're traveling a much shorter distance. We followed MTB Bill's directions to Locust point and went down a couple tighter roads.

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Kimba, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:28 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23287 thanks
Received: 17368 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Yep, thanks, it's been on my list for years!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:15 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 90 thanks
Bike(s): '17 SC Hightower CC X01 27.5+
Favorite Trails: La Costa, PQ, Daley, Sycamore
Oh man, I love it out there. Super fun rides! I agree it seemed like there were more cars at the Parissawampitts area than at the other side. I think I saw some cars that didn't even have high clearance.

The following user would like to thank tranceX for his or her post:
OldDogDan