All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:31 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 63 thanks
Received: 218 thanks
Bike(s): Huffy Rock Creek
Favorite Trails: 52 bike lane
Stay clear. They're out there right now writing $500 tickets to little kids. :cheers: Long gone are the days when kids could ride their bikes on trails in their neighborhoods. Sit them behind a video game and then wonder why they end up smoking crack.

"Nothing dollarable is safe, however guarded" - John Muir

The following 6 users would like to thank FastRich for his or her post:
avidtest, Canaan, Dirtrider, Dustin, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
 Post subject: Re: Ted Williams
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Thanks for the heads up. Wanted to head there Sunday but maybe find a better choice elsewhere, like AZ :shock:

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Canaan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:17 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
FastRich wrote:
Stay clear. They're out there right now writing $500 tickets to little kids. :cheers: Long gone are the days when kids could ride their bikes on trails in their neighborhoods. Sit them behind a video game and then wonder why they end up smoking crack.

I'll play....WHO is writing the citations and how can you possibly know that the fine will be $500? Define "kids" since kids can't be written trespassing tickets since that's a misdemeanor.

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
bankerboy, his highness
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:38 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Ive got a meeting tonight with the PQ CAC. I believe part of that property falls under Gina. Iwill sed what I can find out and report back. My initial hunch is the private land owner is fed up with the continued building on his property. There were posts yesterday showi g a tra tor out there at work.

I will post up later tonight.

The following 3 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

k2rider wrote:
FastRich wrote:

I'll play....WHO is writing the citations and how can you possibly know that the fine will be $500? Define "kids" since kids can't be written trespassing tickets since that's a misdemeanor.

My kid got it sent to his instagram from his buddies he rides with up there. They're all 12-16 year olds. Not sure who it was bu one person in the comments said they got a $500 tresspassing ticket. The pic is some goober standing next to a white truck.

I think we all know that if there's a white truck anywhere near a trail that mt. bikers use that there ain't nothing good happening.

The following 4 users would like to thank FastRich for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
First off, if it's private property....either the property owner or his authorized agent has to make a citizens arrest fro any enforcement to occur. Some owners actually fill out the necessary paperwork to authorize the police to "enforce any and all violations of the law" they see occurring on their property. This is *usually* done by businesses that are overrun with the homeless as they are usually going on the property after business hours. Even then, if the police do anything, 99% of the time they just advise the offenders to move along.

If there is enforcement done such as a citizens arrest, the ADULT violators are giving a citation for some sort of trespass violation (602 PC). In 29 years with SDPD, I wrote less than 10 of those citations and only ONE went to court. It was a guy who was kicked out of Horton Plaza and came back after being warned to stay away. He was found guilty and fined $200, half of that was suspended so he had to pay $100 (which I'm sure he didn't have). JUVENILES don;t get citations for misdemeanor violations. The officers write up a report and submit it to a juvenile detective at the area station. It's then up to the detective on how it gets handled. Sometimes it's a lecture, sometimes community work (usually for tagging cases) or they may have to appear in juvenile court. Sometimes that depends on the attitude of the kid and/or his parents. The better the attitudes, the less likely they end up in front of a judge. In any case, I have NEVER seen a juvenile fined $500 for anything....EVER.

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
his highness, quaestionis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 8 thanks
Received: 121 thanks
Bike(s): Enduro 29
Favorite Trails: All the steep ones
This is just a good lesson for everyone. If you want a trail to exist, with jumps, rocks and "features", go into the hills, build it with your 4 friends, ride it with your 4 friends and then the most important part.... DONT TELL ANYONE!

Additionally, a note to SDMBA; your trails and projects are awesome. Quite frankly, the community that rode teds couldn't give a shit about it, maybe you guys actually work out a way for people to build cool shit? I don't have time to deal with politics so I will abide by my own personal advice and keeo building illegal trails then not telling people about it. Oh, and no they aren't at calavera.

:flame:

The following user would like to thank The Cala Reaper for his or her post:
avidtest
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 424 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal Super 4.1
Favorite Trails: Black Rock Oregon
The new features added to berms made that trail tits. Sad to see it this way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:39 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 92 thanks
Bike(s): BMX, MTB, Road
Favorite Trails: All
The Cala Reaper wrote:
This is just a good lesson for everyone. If you want a trail to exist, with jumps, rocks and "features", go into the hills, build it with your 4 friends, ride it with your 4 friends and then the most important part.... DONT TELL ANYONE!

Additionally, a note to SDMBA; your trails and projects are awesome. Quite frankly, the community that rode teds couldn't give a shit about it, maybe you guys actually work out a way for people to build cool shit? I don't have time to deal with politics so I will abide by my own personal advice and keeo building illegal trails then not telling people about it. Oh, and no they aren't at calavera.

:flame:

So the features at the Valley Center Bike Park that is under construction by GCI would not fall under "cool shit" by your standard? SDMBA may not be the lead on this project, but they have played a political and financial role in getting it built. Don't be surprised if you see more of these bike parks pop up in the future thanks to SDMBA volunteers. I'm bummed we don't already have professionally built parks like other areas, but if that's the type of "cool shit" we want then we need to get involved any way we can and make it happen.

The following 2 users would like to thank leadmoto for his or her post:
Dustin, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 296 thanks
Bike(s): SC Nomad
Favorite Trails: east county, Calaveras
I think he is just referring to progressive features that are built by creative minds. The bike park is cool but it will get repetitive. Teds was a free for all that was constantly changing and was a place where riders could go and progress their skills and confidence at their own pace.

I don't know about the rest of riders, but I want progressive stuff that I can push my limits and improve. Stagnation in any part of life causes boredom to ensue and can even remove passion.

The following 3 users would like to thank A_street for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 424 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal Super 4.1
Favorite Trails: Black Rock Oregon
Ted Williams had everything for anyone. From the local pro, even international pro riders showing up, to the guys I saw on a walmart bike the other day. Just depending on how far you wanted to take it.

Bankerboy, please let us know of the cirucmstances and if there is anything we can do to help. I know previously it was kinda ride it till they close it mentality, but if there is a chance keeping most of it open I know A-street and I would like to help.

The following 4 users would like to thank n10sive for his or her post:
avidtest, bankerboy, Dirt Pedaller, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:12 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 92 thanks
Bike(s): BMX, MTB, Road
Favorite Trails: All
If you ever get a chance to ride the parks in Lake Tahoe or Colorado then you will see it's as progressive as it gets from the toddler on a push bike up to a pro level rider. These bike parks are a blast to ride for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:05 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Haven't connected with Gina yet.

What I can put togethef so far is what is pretty apparent. The private land owner is serious about protecting his property and limiting his liability. He most likely contacted the agencies for help.

I have heard a lot of speculation on the entire mountain. I am reserving judgment until I get some more info. While I am not a big bike guy, I know and have ridden much of the mountain. It is worth fighting for.

Problem i see is two fold. One, as always in SD, we have no less than 5 land owners; clty of Poway, city of San Diego, 2 private land owners, and CDFW. The other is the belief the land can be used anyway a rider sees fit. Keeping a progressive line progressive is tough. Somehow it has to happen witbout a new line being cut on a regular basis. I have zero answers on how to work it out. Maybe an A, B, and C line on the same run? All I can see is it is being "loved" in an unsustainable way.

Once I get some info, I will post it. Sorry for the lack of help right now.

The following 4 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirt Pedaller, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:58 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

So looking at this on google maps, it shows the open space trail calls basically that whole are the "Carmel Mountain Open Space Preserve". So which part of it does this developer own? There was some mention of 14 luxury homes going in there. Wondering if the area where the trails converge at the end of meadowbrook is could be where they're blowing in houses. If the rest is an open space preserve, riding there shouldn't be an issue right? Might not make the DH crowd happy but if there's still trails to ride, then at least that's something. If bike access is being cut off to the whole area then now we have a problem. Go ahead and cry environment, I dare you! Houses and streets don't damage habitat, only bikes do right?

The following user would like to thank FastRich for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:33 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

FastRich wrote:
...If the rest is an open space preserve, riding there shouldn't be an issue right? Might not make the DH crowd happy but if there's still trails to ride, then at least that's something. If bike access is being cut off to the whole area then now we have a problem. Go ahead and cry environment, I dare you! Houses and streets don't damage habitat, only bikes do right?

Not crying environmental damage. But I do recognize a problem with the logic. The private land is just that, private. That means there is a whole lot more leeway and what can be done with it. The preserve is park land. If this land is designated "preserve", what does that mean, in your mind?

To the city, county, it means making sure there is open space for all users human and otherwise. It means there should not be a measureable impact on the land. Most of us recognize that if you create an island of land by surrounding it by development, it will be used by the public for recreation. That means there is a need for trails within the property. There is no reason that big bike trails cannot be included. The hard pill to swallow is the days of freestyle building above Meadowbrook are coming to an end. Years ago Italo tried to get the builders united and keep a consistent set of trails and curb the "wild west" free-for-all building to a minimum. He worked with the agencies and closed off a few lines. It turned into a war and not only were the lines reopened, more were created, thrown in the face of the agencies and land owners. I know he gave up and walked away because of it all.

In my mind, the greatest threat at TW is the lack of a self policing public to keep new trails and features popping up. 10-15 foot high sand bag jumps are not exactly low impact or low visibility. There needs to be features, just not sure what is considered acceptable by the city. I have seen a change in the city's attitude over the last couple of year. While it is moving at a glacial speed, they are willing to accept trails in preserve areas to help protect the land from the aggressive trail cutting. While not in the same area, the city has given the go-ahead to allow an update and maintenance to the Deer Field BMX park in Mission Trails. The lines are not long and a bit limited but part of the plan is to turn it into a 10 acre bike park with some developer money. In the south bay, there is a piece of land that is set aside for a 15 acre bike part as well. It is on paper and yet to be built but the important part is there is a city plan for it.

Having gone through the process a couple times now, I know the out come will never be what was wanted but there has to be compromise. The hardest part is getting everyone to understand that there will be a loss of trails in the process.

Like I have said, I do not have any solid information right now so as soon as I do, I will post up what I find out. I think it is important to keep speculation out of the discussion. It does not do us any good or be helpful in anyway.

The following 6 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
Bulldozer27, Canaan, Dirt Pedaller, Dustin, Los, OldDogDan