Post subject: Mel Brooks conditions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:13 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 57 thanks
Received: 143 thanks
Bike(s): Cannondale Rush
Favorite Trails: Dirty ones
I've been wanting to hit up Mongo after seeing Bulldozer27's November video. Thinking of going out there Sunday morning. Anyone able to report conditions in the area post rains?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 111 thanks
Received: 104 thanks
Bike(s): Banshee Spitfire
Favorite Trails: 6
It has been dry since Tuesday.

The following user would like to thank torsp for his or her post:
65mph12
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:11 pm 
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the reply torsp. Now I just have to decide if I want to chance a meeting with Marine security on the way back to the car, or take my chances with the on-again off-again fencing in the neighborhood on the other side of the lakes, among other options I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:33 pm 
Participant
Participant

Go in at Summit Dr. at the church(no military contact possible this way), you loose mileage but you get a great little DH back to your car.

The following 3 users would like to thank torsp for his or her post:
65mph12, avidtest, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:48 pm 
Participant
Participant

I've never parked on summit. I usually park at the top of Princess J. when I ride that side. Maybe I'll try that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:35 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 429 thanks
Received: 314 thanks
Bike(s): SC 5010ccV1
Favorite Trails: Lake Morena, Sycamore Canyon
torsp wrote:

I rode into Sycamore and surrounding trails yesterday. BIG DIFFERENCE between no rain since Tuesday and dry since tuesday. It is anything BUT dry. I've ridden that area since 1990, and from my experience with the place, we need 3-4 days of low humidity high sunshine out there before it firms up. Have not had a day like that since the rain stopped. It's more than just water crossings, its mud.

If you do, please take pics and post the conditions, I'd like to see if you find it any different than I did.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:54 pm 
Participant
Participant

The last day of rain was Thursday, 108 hrs later(Tuesday) I rode Mongo which is the trail that 65mph12 was asking about. There was one one mud puddle with no standing water after the 2nd rock roll, that was it on Mongo. I don't bother with the XC type trails in sycamore so I don't know their conditions.

mtbchip wrote:
torsp wrote:

I rode into Sycamore and surrounding trails yesterday. BIG DIFFERENCE between no rain since Tuesday and dry since tuesday. It is anything BUT dry. I've ridden that area since 1990, and from my experience with the place, we need 3-4 days of low humidity high sunshine out there before it firms up. Have not had a day like that since the rain stopped. It's more than just water crossings, its mud.

If you do, please take pics and post the conditions, I'd like to see if you find it any different than I did.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5055 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
torsp wrote:
Go in at Summit Dr. at the church(no military contact possible this way), you loose mileage but you get a great little DH back to your car.

There was some road construction on Summit a few weeks ago, maybe done now, not sure, fyi.

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:45 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 725 thanks
Received: 315 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX9, Trek Superfly
Favorite Trails: Any single track
I was out there this evening. Still a few puddles (er, vernal pools) and mud in the usual low and/or shaded spots and some pretty good ruts to watch out for but it's rideable. First time in about 5 years I've seen any water in the creeks so expect some water crossings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:53 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 429 thanks
Received: 314 thanks
Bike(s): SC 5010ccV1
Favorite Trails: Lake Morena, Sycamore Canyon
Did you ride High Anxiety?

If so, How did it look?

Ride on~!

torsp wrote:
The last day of rain was Thursday, 108 hrs later(Tuesday) I rode Mongo which is the trail that 65mph12 was asking about. There was one one mud puddle with no standing water after the 2nd rock roll, that was it on Mongo. I don't bother with the XC type trails in sycamore so I don't know their conditions.

mtbchip wrote:
torsp wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 725 thanks
Received: 315 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX9, Trek Superfly
Favorite Trails: Any single track
mtbchip wrote:
Did you ride High Anxiety?

If so, How did it look?

Ride on~!

torsp wrote:

mtbchip wrote:
torsp wrote:

I only had about 30 minutes of daylight and didn't feel like rigging lights so it was just a quick loop around the valley. Candygram and the upper part of high anxiety usually dry out fairly quick. The creek coming down that canyon is still flowing a bit so I would guess that trail coming down the canyon from the bottom of high anxiety is probably still pretty wet. I hiked blazing saddles last Sunday. The upper parts weren't bad but there was practically a pond and lots of mud at the bottom where it turns to the dirt road heading down to the lakes.

The following 2 users would like to thank GForce for his or her post:
avidtest, mtbchip
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:59 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 92 thanks
Bike(s): BMX, MTB, Road
Favorite Trails: All
Rumor has it 15 more bikes confiscated out past Santee lakes today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:21 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10516 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
leadmoto wrote:
Rumor has it 15 more bikes confiscated out past Santee lakes today.

If ....the rumor was true we should see someone post up about it soon

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:21 pm 
Participant
Participant

So I ended up parking on mast and taking my chances with Marine contact. I wasn't expecting any at the time I start anyway. There were fresh ATV tracks near the signs.

The whole area is ride-able, but your bike may get wet and dirty. :shock: Lots of puddles and small flowing creeks. The creek crossing north of the lakes is pretty high, but there are a couple of pallets to help cross. The whole valley area is mostly dry but moist enough to create drag.

Candygram is in excellent shape except for some nasty rutting at the bottom. Torsp is right about Mongo. High anxiety is in great shape, pretty firm soil, no slippery mud. Sorry, no pictures mtbchip. Slaughtcar is great up top with several small fun water crossings at the bottom.

The puddle GForce mentioned on Blazing saddles is pretty nasty right now. It's at the intersection where Mojo/Artichoke meet by the tabletop jump. No PRs on Blazing saddles today.

I didn't want to take any chances with security on the way out, so I went through the gate at Strathmore and subjected my tires to pavement. At 9:30 the lot was full and there was a group of eight or so were heading into the canyon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:29 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
From past years, there is a section on Blazing just below Mojo that can have nasty mud right after rains. Sounds like that is roughly where the puddle is. It is usually good after a couple days though.

High Anxiety has a section between the two gully crossings that is really nasty day of and day after rain. Usually by the second day it is the most amazing velcro mud... actually sounds a bit like velcro as you roll but tires pick nothing up.

Generally the fire roads out there are much worse than the trails. I think that is why Blazing can be bad lower down, that lower part is an old road.